• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Cubits

Reaction score
I think they'll be waaaay too dark for a light grey suit, at least in a solid colour. In a gingham it could be pulled off.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nomhak - I neglected to mention before, that those shirts have really wide spread collars. With collars like that, you might want to give some serious consideration to a knot a little more substantial than the four-in-hand shown.

I admit, I'm not any great expert on such collars, as I don't generally care for them. They just don't flatter me, is all. But I do know that if I were to wear such a collar, I'd probably go for a half-windsor knot.

friteuseur

Reaction score
Well, good looking pair of shoes.

Search for the shoe care thread. It's got pages and pages. Just read from the start, the first few pages. It'll have some tutorials on it. I personally use Glen Karen but not many here do. I am satisfied with it. And Glen is more than helpful with any shoe care questions I have.
http://glenkarencare.com/gkcp/

eta: here's his blog. Herein lies proof of knowledge.
http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/
Thanks, I will be having a look into that.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

swaggerisaliability

Reaction score
Anybody know where I can get this shirt or a similar shirt? Much thanks in advance.

UTfootball747

Reaction score
Longtime lurker; just started posting yesterday.

I'm looking for a fairly low-priced, lightweight wool suit. I'd consider spending more than $500, but probably not much more unless one really wins me over (I'm a government attorney with a lot of student loan debt). The two suits that I currently have in my rotation are Abboud (I think I found them both on Gilt or something), but I feel like I need something a tad bit lighter for the Texas summer.

I'm stuck on labels, however. Is there by chance any amount of consensus around these parts on who makes a superior, lower-priced suit? This week I'm looking at the Nordstrom's anniversary sale, and I've just begun checking out eBay. I was looking at Boss; until I came across a thread here claiming that Boss is generally viewed as overpriced (and there do seem to be similarly priced suits that are made in the U.S., although I'm not sure this matters). Could someone give me a few quick ideas, or perhaps point me in the direction of a pertinent thread I might have missed?

(and I apologize if this isn't an appropriate question for this thread)

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Longtime lurker; just started posting yesterday.

I'm looking for a fairly low-priced, lightweight wool suit.  I'd consider spending more than $500, but probably not much more unless one really wins me over (I'm a government attorney with a lot of student loan debt).  The two suits that I currently have in my rotation are Abboud (I think I found them both on Gilt or something), but I feel like I need something a tad bit lighter for the Texas summer.  

I'm stuck on labels, however.  Is there by chance any amount of consensus around these parts on who makes a superior, lower-priced suit?  This week I'm looking at the Nordstrom's anniversary sale, and I've just begun checking out eBay.  I was looking at Boss; until I came across a thread here claiming that Boss is generally viewed as overpriced (and there do seem to be similarly priced suits that are made in the U.S., although I'm not sure this matters).  Could someone give me a few quick ideas, or perhaps point me in the direction of a pertinent thread I might have missed?  

(and I apologize if this isn't an appropriate question for this thread)

BB offers a very lightweight fully canvassed BrooksCool suit which can be bought on sale for less than $500. These are a wool blend (very small percentage synthetic) and are made in China. Not all BrooksCool is as lightweight as these. Look for the "Full Canvas" label on the inside.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

UTfootball747

Reaction score
BB offers a very lightweight fully canvassed BrooksCool suit which can be bought on sale for less than $500. These are a wool blend (very small percentage synthetic) and are made in China. Not all BrooksCool is as lightweight as these. Look for the "Full Canvas" label on the inside.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any idea if the brick & mortars have a better selection of sizes than the website?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any idea if the brick & mortars have a better selection of sizes than the website?  

More often, it's just the opposite. Although exceptions do exist, of course.

I doubt whether there are all that many Brooks Bros. stores near you; why not simply pick up the phone, call them, and ask if they have what you want in the size you want? Seems a more sensible approach than asking us to speculate about your local store's selection of sizes.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I grabbed 2 of these a few months ago when they were 2 for $799 or $899 or something like that. The stores had a horrible selection, especially in the Regent cut. I went to the Madison Ave flagship, and the only thing they had in Regent was 2 of the same suit, both not in my size. I ended up at a different BB and tried on a Regent cut just for size, and ended up ordering the colors I wanted. They had a difficult time tracking them down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads