• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Semi Fly

Reaction score
Posted these questions on the shoe care thread but the thread's all over the place. Any input would be appreciated!

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif]1. Can somebody who is experienced with Saphir products recommend the correct color for these shoes (Loake 1880 Dorchesters)? [/FONT]I'm thinking light brown but tan and cognac also sound plausible.

2. Is cream a better option than wax? I'm not sure I'd want a mirror polish on these and I think they look really nice as is, but a lot of the recommendations call for a few layers or cream and then a layer of wax to protect. Should I still apply both even though I don't want a mirror finish? Since these are mint, I don't really need to restore the color - maybe Reno is all I really need?

3. Any suggestions for a matching dress belt? Loake doesn't seem to carry them.

Last edited:

Xtra

Reaction score
In that price range, Sterlingwear of Boston would be my #1 choice for a peacoat. They've been the official manufacturer of peacoats for the US Navy for nearly half a century. Made in the USA. Wide variety of styles, fabrics, and sizes. Yeah, definitely the "go to" place for a $300 peacoat. And they even ship internationally.

http://www.sterlingwear.com/cart/index.php?p=catalog&parent=1&pg=1

Thanks, good suggestion, I'll keep that in my mind when ordering a new fall-/winter jacket.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are the best inexpensive watches?

Depends on how you define "best," and how you define "inexpensive."

Not to sound unfriendly, but I'm not sure the "Ask a Question..." thread is really the best place for such a broad question. In fact, I'm not even sure SF is the best place for such a discussion. You might be better off going to a place like www.watchuseek.com, looking around and reading for a while, then perhaps posting a more specific version of your question there. I know there's an "Affordable Watches" theme forum at watchuseek which might prove appropriate.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Kresso: I agree with Shoelove on what is salvageable. The differences between ties are normally the weight and quality of the silk (although there are many different weaves within the boundaries of high quality too; search some threads about ties!). The other major difference is whether it's lined (with some soft material to give it some substance) or unlined, instead using additional folds of silk to give it body: you'll see expressions like "seven fold" meaning, well, you can work it out. The unlined ones are usually more expensive. They also take a bit more looking after.

If you want to replace a bunch of ties cheaply, then try www.thetiebar.com. There's nothing too fabulous there, but it's all better than polyester. And you can get a decent selection of ties for your hundred bucks while you acquire more high quality ones over time. I'd suggest a couple of silk knits with no pattern for casual SF-approved-ness; green, navy, rust would be my colour choices (and I personally hate knits with patterns). Then your business specials: solids or very small pin dots/patterns in dark navy, burgundy, brown, olive green, and then perhaps an occasional lighter pattern but still quite muted, in one of those colour families. For variety, you might like to add a heavy wool tie or two - olive, burnt orange are nice mixes with this texture I find, and tend to go with the more country-style clothes that you'd use them with. And one more, perhaps a regimental stripe: red and blue, blue and green, but not too bright and keep it simple, with the more sober colour being the dominant one. You don't want to look like an air hostess.

Final thing: plain, black, silk tie. For funerals. Every man must have one. And if you ever wear a dinner suit (tuxedo), the same in a bow.

Regarding tie length, apart from your height/weight there are two more factors: I personally have a larger collar size than the rest of me would suggest. Sometimes I find ties a little short. And it also depends which knot you prefer. If you have a lined tie and like a windsor knot, a longer one might be useful. If you're average size in other respects and prefer a four in hand, regular is fine. I would advise you to learn the Pratt/Shelby knot as a middle way between the two - nice and triangular like the first, but better for a shorter tie like the second. And for a knitted tie, double four in hand will make Styleforum love you.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Tray, depending on your definitions of "inexpensive", search out the "Poor Man's Watch Thread", or for higher end, "The Watch Appreciation Thread". There is also a thread where someone asked for the best watch under five grand US. They are all under the Classic Menswear side, i.e. here.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kresso: I agree with Shoelove on what is salvageable.  The differences between ties are normally the weight and quality of the silk (although there are many different weaves within the boundaries of high quality too; search some threads about ties!).  The other major difference is whether it's lined (with some soft material to give it some substance) or unlined, instead using additional folds of silk to give it body: you'll see expressions like "seven fold" meaning, well, you can work it out.  The unlined ones are usually more expensive.  They also take a bit more looking after.

If you want to replace a bunch of ties cheaply, then try www.thetiebar.com.  There's nothing too fabulous there, but it's all better than polyester.  And you can get a decent selection of ties for your hundred bucks while you acquire more high quality ones over time.  I'd suggest a couple of silk knits with no pattern for casual SF-approved-ness; green, navy, rust would be my colour choices (and I personally hate knits with patterns).  Then your business specials: solids or very small pin dots/patterns in dark navy, burgundy, brown, olive green, and then perhaps an occasional lighter pattern but still quite muted, in one of those colour families.  For variety, you might like to add a heavy wool tie or two - olive, burnt orange are nice mixes with this texture I find, and tend to go with the more country-style clothes that you'd use them with.  And one more, perhaps a regimental stripe: red and blue, blue and green, but not too bright and keep it simple, with the more sober colour being the dominant one.  You don't want to look like an air hostess.  

Final thing: plain, black, silk tie.  For funerals.  Every man must have one.  And if you ever wear a dinner suit (tuxedo), the same in a bow.

Regarding tie length, apart from your height/weight there are two more factors: I personally have a larger collar size than the rest of me would suggest.  Sometimes I find ties a little short.  And it also depends which knot you prefer.  If you have a lined tie and like a windsor knot, a longer one might be useful.  If you're average size in other respects and prefer a four in hand, regular is fine.  I would advise you to learn the Pratt/Shelby knot as a middle way between the two - nice and triangular like the first, but better for a shorter tie like the second.  And for a knitted tie, double four in hand will make Styleforum love you.

If every guy out there who knew jack about ties followed this advice, the world would be a better place. Well done.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is $799 a good price for a NWT 100% cotton Brunello Cucinelli suit? Solid grey.

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Impossible to say.
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif

kresso

Reaction score
Kresso: I agree with Shoelove on what is salvageable. The differences between ties are normally the weight and quality of the silk (although there are many different weaves within the boundaries of high quality too; search some threads about ties!). The other major difference is whether it's lined (with some soft material to give it some substance) or unlined, instead using additional folds of silk to give it body: you'll see expressions like "seven fold" meaning, well, you can work it out. The unlined ones are usually more expensive. They also take a bit more looking after.

If you want to replace a bunch of ties cheaply, then try www.thetiebar.com. There's nothing too fabulous there, but it's all better than polyester. And you can get a decent selection of ties for your hundred bucks while you acquire more high quality ones over time. I'd suggest a couple of silk knits with no pattern for casual SF-approved-ness; green, navy, rust would be my colour choices (and I personally hate knits with patterns). Then your business specials: solids or very small pin dots/patterns in dark navy, burgundy, brown, olive green, and then perhaps an occasional lighter pattern but still quite muted, in one of those colour families. For variety, you might like to add a heavy wool tie or two - olive, burnt orange are nice mixes with this texture I find, and tend to go with the more country-style clothes that you'd use them with. And one more, perhaps a regimental stripe: red and blue, blue and green, but not too bright and keep it simple, with the more sober colour being the dominant one. You don't want to look like an air hostess.

Final thing: plain, black, silk tie. For funerals. Every man must have one. And if you ever wear a dinner suit (tuxedo), the same in a bow.

Regarding tie length, apart from your height/weight there are two more factors: I personally have a larger collar size than the rest of me would suggest. Sometimes I find ties a little short. And it also depends which knot you prefer. If you have a lined tie and like a windsor knot, a longer one might be useful. If you're average size in other respects and prefer a four in hand, regular is fine. I would advise you to learn the Pratt/Shelby knot as a middle way between the two - nice and triangular like the first, but better for a shorter tie like the second. And for a knitted tie, double four in hand will make Styleforum love you.
mimo,
Thanks a ton for your input. That really helped a lot. I will check out thetiebar for to get some ties really quick to replace my polyester collection and try and learn more about ties. Thanks for your suggestions on what to get for my core collection, that helps a TON.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
There's a real outbreak of good manners around here lately - you're most welcome and I hope you find what you want! :)

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mimo,
Thanks a ton for your input. That really helped a lot. I will check out thetiebar for to get some ties really quick to replace my polyester collection and try and learn more about ties. Thanks for your suggestions on what to get for my core collection, that helps a TON.
I will +1 Mimo and give more advice.

Search the forum for Luxeswap and look at the ties he has there. You can bid on good used ties and get some for $30-50 that are pretty solid. If you win, pm spoopoker (the owner) and you get free shipping as a SF member.

If you want to get ties you can keep for a long time and be proud of, you should up your price-per-tie budget to around $100. You can get many nice lightly used ebay ties, Kent Wang ties, Panta ties on sale, etc. Even many ties at Sam Hober.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking about getting a Narrangansett Leather belt (bright nickel finish) to match AE Park Avenue (Black)
Should it be 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch?

If it's to be worn with a pair of black AE Park Avenues, I'm guessing it's more likely to be worn with a suit (or at least with dress trousers), than with a pair of jeans.

So, you want 1" or perhaps 1 1/4". A belt width of 1 1/2" is too wide for a dress belt.

Is there other cheaper alternatives as well or is the narrangansett belt the best i can get in terms of value/cost
Buy your belt straps at www.beltmaster.com. Not the finest money can buy, but they do represent good value for the price. Purchase your belt buckles separately. Then mix/match as appropriate. After all, a quality belt buckle can last a lifetime. A leather belt strap... probably won't last a lifetime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads