1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Kensington

Kensington Well-Known Member

Would wearing deep navy velvet slippers with a black velvet jacket be clashing too much? For general wear and specifically for a formal event?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. namdaemun

namdaemun Well-Known Member

Hey

I'm 5'10 and I wear 9/9.5 dress shoes. I never knew proportions mattered when choosing cuff heights so should I go with

OR

2"

Thanks!

3. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

Bigger cuffs are in right now, and you're on the tall side of things. I'd say go 2", but others may disagree based purely on the numbers.

4. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Got this pair of black pebble grain/suede Grenson x Foot the Coacher boots from Mr P recently.

Great shoes, but what do you guys think about wearing these with suits? I think I can wear them with chinos / jeans but was hoping suits would be possible too (given I wear suits most of the week). If not, no worries. Cheers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Well-Known Member

Also, what do you guys think of pulling off a bright blue suit for work, similar to the attached photo? (Ignore the shirt / shoes etc obviously).

Saw a suit that has a similar colour and it fits well, but... that is a bright colour.
    [​IMG]

6. deadAngle

deadAngle Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mix different colours of velvet in one outfit, especially with colours as close as black and navy. It might be possible with red or green velvet slippers depending on the shade they are.

That's a very reasonable colour for a summer suit IMO. You might be able to wear it to work if your office isn't too deeply entrenched in the dark suit master race.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  7. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Well-Known Member

Is US GQ magazine a good source of info for current trends in menswear?

8. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Well-Known Member

Which is more aesthetically pleasing?: Alden's Medallion Toe or AE's Strand?
    Alden:
    [​IMG]
    AE:
    [​IMG]
    Carmina's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I like Alden's brogue because it is closer in its overall look to Carmina's incredible brogues(love that narrow,sleek look but obviously Alden doesn't have the chisel toe), but I like the Strand because of its elongated toecap that makes your foot appear longer(I do hate their PA and 5th Ave because the toe cap is very short). One important thing is that Alden's Hampton last fits me better than AE's 5 last.

I'm having trouble deciding on my next pair-can you guys help me out? Please don't take color into consideration.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  9. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Insecurity and lots of it.

10. BrooksLauren77

I like Aldens medallion the best but Carmina has the best shape for me. I don't like Carmina's medallion because it looks like a praying mantis.

11. BrooksLauren77

I wouldn't; the two-tone combination and chunky last make it a jeans/chinos/cords only boot to me. Maybe a very rough tweed suit.

12. forbritisheyes

Praying Mantis?How so? :eek:

By the way, I was only comparing AE vs Alden's Medallion toe. I threw in Carmina for honorable mention :]

So what do you say then?I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me or not. which one(Alden/AE) is more narrow/looks more narrow and longer based on its proportions and other things?

13. bradp

bradp Well-Known Member

I see it more as a whooping crane :)

14. teixeira

teixeira Member

Hi, what do you guys think of the fit?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad quality, hope you can still see it

15. GAU11

GAU11 Member

I am having a hard time getting a good fit in the arms. How many folds should an arm have? I have seen about alterations but was told that it would make the arm hole too tight. Any thoughts besides custom shirts, I want to at least work with what I already have.

16. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. forbritisheyes

Oh my goodness...now I see it...But all medallions look like this somewhat...:O hahaha. Alden's looks like a Fly or bee head then. Well...can anyone answer my original question? x]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  18. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

The iGent Rorschach test:

"Oh no...my Eddie Greens look like angry vaginas...I cant un-see it...."

19. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

are there any less expensive alternatives to the Hanger Project suit hangers? My suits are typically in the $500-700 range and I don't feel like spending more than $10-20 per hanger. Any ideas? My main concern is that I need a narrower hanger to accomdate my narrower shoulder jackets. I don't need high end woods...
    Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  20. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

If you don't need anything particularly wide, or guaranteed to be made of wool, why not just hit up Bed Bath and Beyond. Or Target. Both have heavy duty composite/wood suit hangers for a good price.