1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Well-Known Member

2. Slh

Slh Well-Known Member

howard yount..

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

What about cotton/linen shorts? I have this pair from Henry Cottons I got at Bloomingdale's ages ago and have yet to find something as comfy and versatile.

4. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Well-Known Member

Looking for a good quality cardigan like Steve McQueen's under $100. Any recommendation?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  5. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Well-Known Member

Dress shoes question:

Is there any unofficial "hierarchy" of classic men's dress shoes (oxford, derby, etc.) starting from the dressiest to the least dressy that you can pair them with dressy jeans?

6. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

Uniqlo, Gap, and J.Crew

7. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

Generally the more ornamentation, the less formal. So a plain cap toe would be more formal than a pair of longwings. Oxfords are dressier than derbies. For office/wedding wear, a plain cap toe oxford is essential. It should come first. Black is more formal than brown, but generally speaking, you will probably get more wear out of brown shoes than black. If you can only by two pair of shoes, I'd say get a pair of plane cap toe black oxfords, and a pair of brown full brogue derbies or wingtips.

8. upcoming

upcoming Well-Known Member

I'm extremely thin who produces the slimmest shirt out of TM Lewin (super fitted range) or H&M?

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Eat a burger.

10. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Check out the Brooks Brothers Clearance section. They might still have some.

11. MarkyB

MarkyB Active Member

Anyone know what shoe manufacturer this could be? Thrifted it today, woven leather, can't figure it out..

[​IMG]

12. gsasso

gsasso Active Member

They did actually, thanks for the tip.

1 person likes this.
  13. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Sweet! I was actually looking for some a while back, but they are out of my size. I check back every so often to see if there are any returns or restock.

14. RyanByrne

RyanByrne Member

Meermin leather "bubbling."

Hi all,

I wore these double monks outside for the first time today with a pair of galoshes and accidentally stepped into a pile of snow that was ankle deep. I went right inside, removed the galoshes, and noticed bubbling at the section right above where the golashes sit on the shoe. I patted the shoe down to try and remove any excess water then put shoe trees in them for about five hours. After that, I put some Meltonian polish on and brushed them but the spots are still there. The spots must be from the snow/salt, as these are brand new shoes (worn for the sixth day today, and only an hour outside with galoshes).

Any idea how to remove the spots?

Thanks for any recommendations you may have.

[​IMG]

15. MarkyB

MarkyB Active Member

^ The polish will fill in all the pores. Looks like you want to open the pores up instead and let them air out. Try mink oil/saphir rejuvie/similar product.

16. someguyinboston

someguyinboston Member

Have my brother's wedding this weekend and wanted to prep an outfit for rehearsal dinner. I have nice rag and bone ivory shawl cardigan that i wanna dress up along with some chinos and ferragamo loafers. Just wondering what color dress shirt would be smart to pair it with.

*also any use trying to wear it with a tie?

See pics

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Me with R&B shawl cardigan, Just the sweater
    JE grey mercer, burberry charcoal scarf

17. blacksamurai30

blacksamurai30 Well-Known Member

Hi all!

I just purchased a watch, a Triwa Lansen Chrono in Rose Gold. I have dark skin so i figured it should have good contrast without being to gaudy. Im looking for a brown leather watch strap that might look good on it, does anyone have any suggestions? Also, any do's and don'ts for the watch color with pairing clothes? Thanks a bunch!

Watch for reference

18. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

19. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Incotex make great shorts actually but not many places carry them.

20. Slh

Slh Well-Known Member

what is your opinion about welted breast pocket in a jacket with patch pockets? Incongruent?
    I like patch pockets but I can't stand patch breast pockets..