• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
+1

You have a nice bright suit, no need to look a clown to be noticed. It's a fun occasion but still a formal one, so rock a hard white shirt, or very light blue, with a nice crisp semi-spread collar, perhaps go for a regimental-type striped tie to keep the fun feel, and don't forget your pocket square - a flash of solid white if you're not sure. And you can get away with brown or tan shoes and belt, as it's primarily a daytime event, and if you want that more modern look. Polish them. Properly.

The point is you want to look sharp, individual, and like you've made an effort but it didn't take too much effort, if you get what I mean. But going all-out peacock could be considered the mark of an insecure douchebag. And then where would you be? That's right, drinking alone when everyone else has left with the bridesmaids.

Sam Phinney

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a Navy Blue jacket & pants. I used to wear a white solid shirt with it, but it sadly ripped and I don't really have time/money to buy a nice new one. So, I was thinking about wearing this solid purple shirt with it. Only thing is, I don't really know what kind of tie to wear? I've got access to a lot of them, and was just thinking about some ideas for colors. Thanks!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
How long does it take to buy a white shirt? I mean, really. White or light blue. Until you get to level two.

achillesheel

Reaction score
Portland Tailor? I'm looking for both suit fabric repair and tailoring. I've seen emphatic descriptions about Abraham Lee on the east side and strong recommendations about Silvian Nita downtown. Being a fan of subtlety and not a fan of subsidizing expensive rent, I'm far more inclined to go to Mr. Lee, who is described as the "real deal" and is hidden on the east side in a dry cleaner, than to Mr. Nita, who boldly titled his downtown shop "European Master Tailor." However, all of Mr. Lee's recent reviews on Yelp have been negative, very negative. I'm left wondering if the man who worked on Johnny Carson's suits might be past his prime.

Since I value the opinions shared on this site more than those on Yelp, would anyone care to share their personal opinions about Messrs. Lee and Nita?

Thanks.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'm not sure you and the OP are in the same line of shirts ;)

mountainstyle

Reaction score
Thanks guys [msulinski, mimo, Subutai] being new to dressing with class, sometimes I need a little help breaking out of the old ways.

Regarding my previous post about black shoes. After much consideration and a few other threads, I finally realized what you were all trying to say. Weddings, funerals, and job interviews demand a more formal shoe. Bluchers and Derbys are more casual. Therefore, buy a Balmoral.

Does it matter whether they are plain toe, medallion on a plain toe, plain cap toe or medallioned cap toe? I suspect the medallions decrease formality, but wasn't able to confirm that via my styleforum seach skills.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to determine if there's enough material to let out in the crotch of a pair of pants? Should I be looking for fabric in the actual crotch seam or on the sides of the zipper?

My tailor once showed me but I forgot.

A picture guide would be especially helpful.

Last edited:

The_International

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Is there a way to reduce (or eliminate) the squeaking that comes from the tounge area on calfskin shoes? Would Lexol Cleaner/Conditioner in the affected areas help at all? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can (or should) something like a navy linen sports coat be worn with linen trousers if it's not a suit? Or is it fine to wear the jacket with something like an open weave or tropical wool trouser as well?

If you can't tell, my spring/summer wardrobe is really lacking.

mountainstyle

Reaction score
"Is there a way to reduce (or eliminate) the squeaking that comes from the tounge area on calfskin shoes? Would Lexol Cleaner/Conditioner in the affected areas help at all? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!"

I don't have personal experience, but I've read here a number of times that people have had success using talcum powder to quiet their squeaking monkstraps. You might give that a try.

The_International

Reaction score

"Is there a way to reduce (or eliminate) the squeaking that comes from the tounge area on calfskin shoes? Would Lexol Cleaner/Conditioner in the affected areas help at all? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!"

I don't have personal experience, but I've read here a number of times that people have had success using talcum powder to quiet their squeaking monkstraps. You might give that a try.

Thanks! I'll give the talcum powder a shot.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Talcum powder really? That could get messy.

I'd suggest getting a very thin cloth tongue pad from your cobbler. (Provided you have enough room in the instep)

maraca2020

Reaction score
Any suggestions on good value linen shirts for summer? Looking primarily for white shirts, but not too see-through

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Kamakura should be releasing some linen shirts soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads