• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

newbiephil

Reaction score
I would ditch the navy shirts and get more in light blue.

I probably wouldn't spend too much on clothing at this point. Since you are just entering your teens, you are going to outgrow almost everything you buy, in some cases, within a year.

As for what else to buy, I recommend more ties, and in burgundy. If you are wearing adult-sized ties, these will last you for a while. You might also consider a navy odd jacket and some type of mid-gray trouser.

Hi gents, in regards to my post sorry I meant I am 18! And I do have a casual job where I do have to wear formal attire at a multinational firm.

ats200

Reaction score
Is it in "good taste" to wear faux flower lapel pins? Would it be any more or less appropriate than a pocket square in a business setting?

This would be something worn daily and not randomly. (many people in my office seem to like to wear cufflinks a couple of days per week which just seems off to me, is it the end of their wash cycle?)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I don't see any issue with a subtle PS in a business setting, or if people sometimes wear barrel cuffs and sometimes French ones (I am also in that category - a matter of mood, formality, weather, whatever).

As for flower pins, I do find them a little affected. If it has some significance, OK, otherwise I suppose it's no more or less offensive than a loud tie or a gold watch bracelet. Just one thing on significance, though: these pins can have meanings you don't realise, so choose carefully, especially depending where you work. I remember from years ago that the US Secret Service and other similar bodies used them to signify who was carrying a weapon at a given time. I've also seen them used as an identifier of status with the Freemasons. On a more general level, various flowers have been used to signify some kind of cultural or political identity or message - charities use them all the time too.

So definitely do what you want, but be sure you know what you might be communicating!

Last edited:

ats200

Reaction score
I don't see any issue with a subtle PS in a business setting, or if people sometimes wear barrel cuffs and sometimes French ones (I am also in that category - a matter of mood, formality, weather, whatever).

As for flower pins, I do find them a little affected. If it has some significance, OK, otherwise I suppose it's no more or less offensive than a loud tie or a gold watch bracelet. Just one thing on significance, though: these pins can have meanings you don't realise, so choose carefully, especially depending where you work. I remember from years ago that the US Secret Service and other similar bodies used them to signify who was carrying a weapon at a given time. I've also seen them used as an identifier of status with the Freemasons. On a more general level, various flowers have been used to signify some kind of cultural or political identity or message - charities use them all the time too.

So definitely do what you want, but be sure you know what you might be communicating!
Thank you! I hadn't thought about the possible message conveyance. I know Canadians wear a red poppy for Rememberence Day (I think?) but I wouldn't have thought it would signify something like carrying a weapon. I'll have to do some research.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Thank you! I hadn't thought about the possible message conveyance. I know Canadians wear a red poppy for Rememberence Day (I think?) but I wouldn't have thought it would signify something like carrying a weapon. I'll have to do some research.

The red poppy is normally made of paper; I just recall some unusual little enameled pins used for other purposes.

Dark Knot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Definitely. That was some pretty bad advice there. Long black ties for formalwear and Vineyard Vines ties to "bring an outfit to life"?
uhoh.gif
Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I was definitely wrong on the black ties. I did not know that black tie events usually refer to black bowties. I do, however, feel that novelty ties such as Vineyard Vines can add some extra color and flair to an ensemble. Same for Ferragamo, Hermes and Thomas Pink animal print ties.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's those stripes in the middle of the leg called? And what's your thoughts about wearing those "formal" pants in cotton with a casual outfit consisting of OCBD, v-neck and moccasins?

mountainstyle

Reaction score
I will be attending a wedding in Los Angeles CA, at 5pm in late July. I purchased the BB Fitz blue linen suit

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Linen...var_MK00128_Color=NAVY&contentpos=4&cgid=0216

I'm undecided on whether to keep it.

The buttons on the suit are dark unlike the bone buttons on the website. Being the Fitzgerald cut, the lapels are more narrow and look very narrow to me, but when I measured them in comparison to a Samuelsohn sport coat, they are only 1/8" narrower and are 42% of the width of the chest panel versus 45% for the Samuelsohn.

The other option is to return the BB suit and order one from Suit Supply, either of these though I'm partial to the first one.

http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/suit...art=2&cgid=Suits&prefn1=material&prefv1=Linen

http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/suit...art=3&cgid=Suits&prefn1=material&prefv1=Linen

When I start thinking about how to wear a blue linen suit, I could roughly mimic the model on the BB website with burnished walnut AE Kenilworths, or brown AE Norwich monkstraps.

Here is the shirt I'm considering pairing with the suit, but then, what do I do for a tie? The suit is barely a different shade than my Samuelsohn charcoal suit and the shirt is a touch more vibrant in real life than the picture.

Thanks for all the feedback.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's those stripes in the middle of the leg called? And what's your thoughts about wearing those "formal" pants in cotton with a casual outfit consisting of OCBD, v-neck and moccasins?
That is called a "crease". It is what happens when you iron your pants properly. And those are not particularly formal pants. They are chinos (also known as khakis), which are, in the realm of menswear, fairly casual. Actually, they're at about the same level of formality as an OCBD or a pair of penny loafers, so you're good.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mountainstyle, I like the BB linen suit you linked to. If you want white MoP buttons, it should be trivial to get a tailor to replace them.

As for you shirt, I would absolutely not wear it with a suit ever, and probably not even a sport coat. Just because you have a linen suit doesn't mean you have to go crazy with the shirt.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads