1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Coverman

Coverman New Member

What do ye think of wearing yoke pattern sweaters at this time of year? Mine is similar to below pic. Is it appropriate in yere opinion or just suited to the holiday season?
    [​IMG]

2. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

There's a limit to how much contrast is ideal (black is going to be pretty stark) but brown or blue or olive is what you want.

Only for suits.

And I disagree that a suit is over the top for this occasion. If it's informal, skip the tie.

It's appropriate all winter. Rock on.

3. upcoming

upcoming Well-Known Member

which of the following jackets fit best? All help and advice would be much appreciated as I'm in need of a jacket urgently for a very important work event!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Wear a plain silk woven tie, not a knitted one. Skip the tie bar.

5. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

It would bother me, but as you said, braces aren't going to be seen, so if it doesn't bother you, than there is no issue.

Meermin has one.

Agree that I would not go with with a knitted tie if you know's it's going to be formal. I would go with a grenadine. Navy, burgundy, something somber.

6. KHTong

KHTong New Member

Hi everyone
    I am new here.
    just wondering if my purple tie would match my purple shirt (their shades of purple are quite similar)

here's the pic (the suit is dark navy, not black)

[​IMG]

7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

@KHTong shirt looks nice, good collar... can't really see the suit, but I don't like the tie or the knot. You have some other options?

8. KHTong

KHTong New Member

@Kid Nickels how about a plain white shirt with french cuff, and a double four in a hand knot. also i could wear a tie clip instead of the pocket square

pic: [​IMG]

9. upcoming

Anyone?

10. KHTong

KHTong New Member

@upcoming hi, i dont know why i cant enlarge the pics....but from what i can see i think both fit you quite well (in terms of the shoulders); however, i think the second one looks nicer on you because lighter navy matches your skin color better than a dark navy. It stands out more. for the first one, it looks like you may need to take in the jacket a bit, and for the second one, i really cant tell from the pic

just sharing my opinion!

cheers

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  11. upcoming

Thanks as they are do you think they're wearsble and how would you rate them
    Out of 10 as they are now? Cheers!

12. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

I actually like the dimple he got. What don't you like about the knot?

13. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Both outfits are totally fine, where are you wearing these outfits to?

14. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Can anyone suggest a firm in NYC where I can buy bespoke trousers for around $500 (including fabric)? I understand that Ercole back in the day used to charge around this, but they have raised their prices. I spent $800+ a pair the last time I went to Ercole (around August of last year), which is more than I'd like to spend at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Agreed.. nice dimple. Shape of the knot however, for the nice roll on that collar just wasn't doing it for me.

16. gentndubs

gentndubs Member

upcoming -- If I'm being completely honest, I don't think either one fit all that well. It's hard to tell 100% accurately based on your pics, but both jackets seem to have issues with respect to shoulders, jacket length, and sleeve width. The shoulders extend too far past your shoulder blade, and as a result there is a larger gap than there should be in the shoulder area. The jacket seems too long as well, although a full body shot would help me assess more accurately. Finally, the sleeves of the jacket should be narrowed for a trim fit more suitable to your frame.

17. gentndubs

gentndubs Member

jmeb -- I'm new here, and some might disagree with me, but I definitely don't think cufflinks are for suits only. I myself wear cufflinks every so often with a blazer and trousers, and am happy with the end result. I've also seen it done plenty of times and think it's just fine. Given that they gave you the cufflinks and it's a special occasion, why not? It will mean something to both you and them, and you'll still look good regardless. As for the combination, pictures would certainly help but the combo seems just fine on paper. Pulled up this pic for you after a brief google search to give you an idea of a dude who pulls off cufflinks very well without a suit:

http://images.thesartorialist.com/photos/s1600/6248Helmetweb.jpg

18. upcoming

How would you rate them out of 10 as they are now as I'm so slim I have a very hard time finding jackets that fit and I need one sharpish

19. gentndubs

gentndubs Member

Hmm...fair question. Did you try each of the jackets one size down? They might look better and require less tailoring.

If I have to rate the ones you showed us, I would rate the first jacket a 6 and the second a 5.5. I the think two fit more or less the same, although it's a bit hard to tell based on the pictures. If I had to choose, I'd go with the first one over the second, particularly because I think the ticket pocket is a nice touch

20. upcoming

Thanks for your reply and sorry to bother you again but (your help is much apprciated if I could repay you in anyway let me know!) do you think the jackets (esp 1st one) are wearable? Will the average joe notice the poor fit? The sleeves do look a bit too full and I know getting them narrowed/trimmed will be very difficult so if I opt to get the jacket shortened and nothing else what would you rate them as then do you think. I know you need pics but do you think shortening the length will make a diffrence?

Thanks!