• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

kungfuninja

Reaction score

how is the fit and length of this suit?

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Newbie building up his wardrobe (20 year old student). I already have dark brown suede desert boots, with which I'm very satisfied. I've come to the conclusion that I need bucks. My question is: which color should I get, and what material (in view of versatility, combined with the desert boots). I was thinking maybe light brown suede, like this:

https://svpply.com/item/415918/Sanders_Suede_Buck_Derby_Shoe_Dirty

Or should I go with a louder color, like olive or dark blue?

As a follow up, what kind of belt is appropriate with the dirty brown one? (or olive or dark blue)

I would go with suede navy bucks. But actually, why not black/burgundy penny loafers? These are more appropriate on campus and will dramatically increase the versatility of your shoes wardrobe. Suede bucks and suede desert boots are interchangeable and mostly casual; a pair of penny loafers can be used for both casual and slightly formal occasions while affording you much more variety in terms of texture and style.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how is the fit and length of this suit?

Almost impossible to determine, given that:

(1) your arms are not in the conventional "how does this suit fit?" position;
(2) it's extremely helpful in judging suit fit to see pics from not just in front, but also from the side and back;
(3) the untucked shirt makes it a little confusing to judge jacket length relative to your waist (as would jeans, even with a tucked shirt, since one typically wears jeans lower than one wears suit pants) (not that suit jacket length is best determined relative to one's waist, but given (1) and (2), above, it's about all that's left).

For what little it's worth, the suit jacket doesn't look ridiculously short or tight, as so many do these days given prevailing fashion trends. But more than that, I really can't say.

Why not try again, providing the three pictures I've suggested, with your hands hanging naturally at your sides, while wearing the pants that came with the suit and a tucked in shirt? Then, it'd be pretty easy to judge. (The pants will presumably be uncuffed. That's okay. Pants length can be ignored.)

Last edited:

Dark Knot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm filling out my beginners wardrobe. I currently have 4 ties including a navy and a red/navy/white striped one that have the heaviest rotation. As I'm looking to add more is it bad I'm drawn to the same colours? Is it boring/pointless to end up with over half my ties some variant of navy/red even if they're all different shades and designs? Otherwise what else should I be looking out for?
I would go for a balance. A few solids are a fantastic addition to any wardrobe. Red, Navy and Burgundy are almost a must in my opinion. A black tie for more formal / black tie events and a light blue / pink solid tie can also work to provide breadth and diversity to your wardrobe. Also, getting a few regimental stripes is definitely required, especially if you are wearing these ties for corporate functions or the office. Neat patterns (repeating small patterns) general work very well also, like small squares, dots etc.

Finally, I would add some novelty ties, like the Hermes / Ferragamo / Vineyard Vines style ties with animal motif prints. They can really bring an outfit to life, and are more exciting than some of the more traditional (though classic) ties.

In general, I would have the vast majority of my ties in Navy, Burgundy, Red (traditional) and Light Blue and Lilac to help balance things out and add some flair to your wardrobe. Then, I would balance out the remaining (20% or so) with more playful colors like orange, light green etc that you can wear to weddings, St. Patricks day etc, or just in general if you are going for a more fun look.

Please feel free to read up more about neckties on my blog at http://suitupdressup.wordpress.com/category/ties/ or feel free to sign up for the blog's first ever newsletter, a 27 page detailed insight into neckties at: http://suitupdressup.wordpress.com/newsletter-signup-2/

Please feel free to message me on here with any questions you may have.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^An event that says "Black tie" demands a tuxedo and a black BOWTIE. While a skinny black tie or whatnot might be fun for cocktail parties, a long tie should never be worn for black tie. It's grown more common these days, but it's still incorrect, and it looks really stupid.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Exactly so. A long black tie is for funerals, and should be of normal width. Unless you're starting a Ska band/ Blues Brothers tribute.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^An event that says "Black tie" demands a tuxedo and a black BOWTIE. While a skinny black tie or whatnot might be fun for cocktail parties, a long tie should never be worn for black tie. It's grown more common these days, but it's still incorrect, and it looks really stupid.

Exactly so.  A long black tie is for funerals, and should be of normal width.  Unless you're starting a Ska band/ Blues Brothers tribute.

Definitely. That was some pretty bad advice there. Long black ties for formalwear and Vineyard Vines ties to "bring an outfit to life"? :uhoh:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely. That was some pretty bad advice there. Long black ties for formalwear and Vineyard Vines ties to "bring an outfit to life"?
uhoh.gif
I'm also not clear why a regimental stripe tie is a must for business functions. I would never wear a regimental stripe tie in any kind of formal business environment. They are fine in a more casual office environment, but certainly not a "must."

newbiephil

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm just entering my teens and starting to develop my 'proper wear' for professional purposes and it is something I like to follow. At the moment I've got 2 blue ties (one Sam Hober), pair of Florsheim black shoes, 1 navy and 1 charcoal suit, a few shirts that are white and navy. General advice I'm looking for is what are other good items to buy as I start up, I have a fairly small figure so when I was looking for suits/shirts there was difficulty. I might look to buy shoes next since my Florsheims have peeled at the toe. Thanks for any advice.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would ditch the navy shirts and get more in light blue.

I probably wouldn't spend too much on clothing at this point. Since you are just entering your teens, you are going to outgrow almost everything you buy, in some cases, within a year.

As for what else to buy, I recommend more ties, and in burgundy. If you are wearing adult-sized ties, these will last you for a while. You might also consider a navy odd jacket and some type of mid-gray trouser.

elementbrdr

Reaction score
I bought a Hugo Boss super 150 suit about five years ago, and now I need to have the pants taken out a bit. I used to be a 34 waist. Now I am more comfortable in a 36. I am trying to figure out where to get this alteration done. Could anyone advise me as to what level of skill this alteration requires? I live in Battery Park, in Manhattan, and I was looking at Fidi Cleaners, Wagner and King's as possibilities. Can anyone recommend a tailor or advise how I can go about finding one who will do this properly? I've read a bit on the forums about some of the better tailors in Manhattan. I get the impression that they might be a bit out of my price range or reluctant to do alterations for people who are not bespoke clients. From what I've read, Bhambi's might strike a balance between quality and price. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Phil,

What M Sulinski said.

Plus, regarding your new shoes, I am hoping someone can find you a company in the US that sells proper goodyear welted shoes for a reasonable price. Sure, you grow out of shoes quickly, but it's a shame when they fall apart - and I know how often that happened to me even at your age.

In the mean time, I've recommended this UK company to others as a cheap source of reasonably well-made shoes. They're still cheap shoes, but they shouldn't come to pieces and have a decent selection - if the postage etc works for you. I got some for my son (14) as he's also growing fast. They're not bad for the money.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a Hugo Boss super 150 suit about five years ago, and now I need to have the pants taken out a bit. I used to be a 34 waist. Now I am more comfortable in a 36. I am trying to figure out where to get this alteration done. Could anyone advise me as to what level of skill this alteration requires? I live in Battery Park, in Manhattan, and I was looking at Fidi Cleaners, Wagner and King's as possibilities. Can anyone recommend a tailor or advise how I can go about finding one who will do this properly? I've read a bit on the forums about some of the better tailors in Manhattan. I get the impression that they might be a bit out of my price range or reluctant to do alterations for people who are not bespoke clients. From what I've read, Bhambi's might strike a balance between quality and price. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

It's an easy and incredibly common alteration. As long as there's enough fabric, your normal dry cleaners should suffice.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can purchase or order nice looking braided or suede belts with good quality, preferably not that very expensive?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads