1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. TimS

TimS New Member

I've been updating my wardrobe for a few months now. I want a blazer and found one that I like. I wanted opinions for a versatile first blazer
    http://www.hm.com/us/product/29644?article=29644-B
    I was thinking of that specific one, in dark blue. Its slim fit, and im 5'10 155 lb.

Any opinions or suggestions?

2. apack

apack Well-Known Member

For comfort, the most important thing is a good-quality leather footbed with perforations for ventilation. Beyond that, it is a matter of the type of support you need. In particular, you should figure out how high your arches are, and where you need both space and support in your shoes. If you do need some degree of arch support, 3/4 leather insoles from Pedag or Tacco are a good place to start. Full insoles from those makers or from Ecco are good too, if you have space for them. feetrelief.com is a good supplier. Zappos has a bunch too. Good luck!

3. mhodge

mhodge New Member

Hi all,

I'm new here. I've been lurking for a little while on this forum, but haven't participated in the discussion forums until now.

Anyways, I was curious as to what your thoughts were on Roberto Cavalli shoes. Specifically, the Stoccarda tasseled loafer. They were on super sale recently, 180 (from 600), so I picked up a pair. They're fairly conservative, unlike many of cavalli products-- and the build quality seems pretty good. Have any of you had any experience with Cavalli men's shoes?

Thanks

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Refusal to wear a blazer means there probably are no good options. Therefore, no real difference between the white and the light gray. The tan shoes are too light-colored, though.

1 person likes this.
  5. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Should double monks be fitted a bit tigher than normal leather shoes since DBs have no lacing.

I heard DBs are less forgiving in terms of fit.

6. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

That looks too trendy for my liking - it is noticeable short and has noticeably skinny lapels. It also has the air of an orphan suit jacket. Buttons in horn or metal would help that. More classic would be more versatile.

7. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

I only have single monks myself but (and I assume doubles are the same) they have a bit of elastic under the buckle that gives the shoes a bit of give, like laces do, but yes probably a touch less forgiving. But I've never sized down or anything.

8. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

Which colours, other than navy, go well with this grey?

[​IMG]

Thank you.

9. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

^ black, burgundy, purple, dark brown, burnt orange, sky blue... It's pretty neutral, man.

1 person likes this.
  10. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

Thanks. I just got a pair of trousers in that colour. Unfortunately I don't own any tops of any of the colours you listed... The only ones I own that I know will go well are navy and charcoal/dark grey.

And I thought black was a forbidden color in CM clothing (I just have t-shirts and jackets/coats in that colour). :)

11. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

You wouldn't want to wear a black dress shirt, but a black sweater, turtleneck, overcoat, etc? Go for it.

1 person likes this.
  12. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Is it cotton oxford, or a wool in an oxford weave?

If it's cotton oxford, it's an extremely casual summer suit. Wear it like a linen one.

If it's a wool oxford, wear it like a sharkskin or pick-and-pick suit in the same basic color.

13. 3PieceSuit

3PieceSuit New Member

Quick question on shirt textures: [​IMG]
    The pic here shows a shirt by Tom Ford and I really like the texture of the weave. What is that texture called? Thanks!

14. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

^^

That's a woven pique formal shirt. Most likely, only the front of the shirt, the collar, and the cuffs are in that, and the rest of the shirt is poplin or something. Pique is too stiff to make a whole shirt out of, I reckon.

Royal oxford looks similar, but is a lot more wearable with clothes other than a tux.

15. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

There are also many shirts of this style available (if you're getting it to wear with a Tuxedo) for much less than the $1500 price tag on the Tom Ford.

16. guccihomme

guccihomme Well-Known Member

Does dry cleaning thrifted wool sports coats kill moth eggs that may be on the fabric?

17. deadAngle

deadAngle Well-Known Member

Yes. Leaving it outside in a Canadian winter for a week should have the same effect.

18. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Well-Known Member

Posting here because I'm not sure where else to post and don't want to create a new thread.

Has anyone in the U.S. had any success at obtaining travel slippers from La Portegna without paying 60 pound sterling for shipping (and with no VAT refund)? A 20 minute search here and other places has not provided much fruit. Thanks guys!

19. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Just dropped a suit at the tailor. Getting cuffs but forgot to specify their height. In 5'7" and the trouser legs are wide. I want a bold cuff. What height should I go with?

Edit: just called in 1.75"

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. johnshaw

johnshaw Well-Known Member

I'm a 14.5 neck, 34 chest and 28 waist. Which shirts will fit me better; 1.) TML super fully fitted shirts or 2) CT extra slim shirts.

Thanks! :)