1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

The turn might wear a garment such as that - dreadful colour, no style, really nothing going for it. Certainly not suitable for a wedding.

2. grants1989

grants1989 New Member

[ATTACHMENT=9745]image.jpg (106k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    This was my other option, was thinking of pairing it width a very light mystard yellow the and maybe brown brogues

3. breakaway01

breakaway01 Well-Known Member

Second suit is much, much better than the first. For a wedding I'd favor black shoes over brown, especially if it'll be in the evening. Light yellow ties won't get much love here.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. grants1989

grants1989 New Member

This was the tie I was thinking of getting any other suggestions ? [ATTACHMENT=9746]image.jpg (153k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

5. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

Way better than the other suit. Brown brogues would be perfect. Someone else will no doubt weigh in on the tie.

Bold move going with no shirt but I'd suggest a white one.

6. thediggs3313

thediggs3313 Member

Hey guys,

I have a wedding to attend tomorrow, and need some last minute advice on a shirt/tie combo. I picked up this Calvin Klein Burgundy Check shirt last night. When I tried it on, I was unhappy with the fit (too big). I also began questioning if I really liked the shirt with the suit. I may return it today and pick up a different shirt, unless there are some positive responses to this one. Any help/opinions would be fantastic. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Spurious

Spurious Well-Known Member

Buy a white shirt and be done with it. Return this one.
    Burgundy check is a casual shirt not something to wear with a tie to a wedding.

1 person likes this.
  8. southbound35

southbound35 Well-Known Member

^^^ Solid advice.

9. thediggs3313

thediggs3313 Member

Thanks guys. I was thinking about light blue? That was my back-up option. I'm usually drawn towards the patterned shirts, but then again I rarely wear suits. I opted for brown shoes that are kind of a walnut type color. Black vs. Dark/Light Brown shoes seems to be quite the debate from what I've seen. I guess white or light blue would work equally. Thanks for the opinions, much appreciated!

10. southbound35

southbound35 Well-Known Member

Light blue is fine (certainly better than the burgundy check). But, "work equally" is a bit of a stretch; for an evening event, the "rule" is to wear white. But, most people (unless this is an extremely well-heeled crowd) wouldn't give a light blue shirt a second thought.

11. thediggs3313

thediggs3313 Member

For sure. It wont be that type of crowd. I'm not so much worried about being judged, but rather feeling comfortable with how I look. I was actually debating between a solid vs. patterned shirt when I was browsing. I do like this check shirt, but I figured I would hit the forums for some quick opinions. Since the size isn't ideal, will have to pick up a new one either way.

12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

That shirt looks quite hard to match a tie to, too.

13. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Well-Known Member

14. CruzAzul

I personally think they're both too short to be useful. The ways I like to tie my scarf all seem to require a minimum of about 72" length to work.

If that's not an issue for you, I do like Johnstons of Elgin's cashmere scarves.

15. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Well-Known Member

How do you tie your scarves?

16. CruzAzul

Forgive the stupid graphic. It does at least cleanly demonstrate the most common way I wear a scarf.

[​IMG]

17. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

Would appreciate some recommendations for tailors in the Dallas area. Doesn't have to be within the city, I'm happy to drive out to the suburbs if the quality is better / price lower.

By tailor I just mean for alterations, not looking for bespoke projects.

18. Enthusiasm

Enthusiasm Well-Known Member

I'll be in Rome for a few days towards the end of september, does anyone have any recommendations of interesting places to visit? Both stores and sights are welcome!

19. bradp

bradp Well-Known Member

20. wtb87

wtb87 New Member

Hey all, sorry for the cross posting; I didn't see this thread earlier..

This is for my medschool interview. I just bought my first suit - charcoal gray & white shirt. Is this tie OK to go with it? I'm an older candidate, but look like I'm in mid-30s. Advice much appreciated, Thank you!

I measured the width with a tape and it is 2&3/4" at the bottom.

[​IMG]

Also this,
    http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Hilfige...d_sim_a_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HGAFA5JQ2P0M72N6GR1