• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Do you guys wash or dry clean your sport shirts? I dry clean both my dress and sport shirts but I wear my sport shirts far more often and dry cleaning them all the time is beginning to be a pain **********.

I want to start washing them/ironing them myself, will this decrease their longevity?

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjorken
Gonna try to buy a pre-owned suit or blazer from ebay.
Any brands you can recommend with extra good pre-owned value?

Oxxford

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people hate square-toed dress shoes? I have no predilection for them, but I often read posts advising people against them, and I'm curious why that is.

- Keith

alflauren

Reaction score
Here's my quick question - what's the deal with Alden Indy boot pricing? Are they really going for $435 new these days (at the Shoe Mart)? They were still $380 not two months ago, and I can't even find some place that has seconds. Is it just a temporary price fluctuation?

My only thought is that they're selling at $450 at JCrew, and now the retailers think they can all push up their prices. Not two years ago these things were just over $300 new. I'd really like to get a pair, but I won't pay that much for casual footwear. Plus, the Alden "special" manufactures are almost the same price...

Racing Green

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
I bought a pair of Tyrwhitt shoes a few years ago. At that time, I believe their shoes were made by Loake.

That would have been my guess. Cheers.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Why do people hate square-toed dress shoes? I have no predilection for them, but I often read posts advising people against them, and I'm curious why that is. - Keith
They don't look good. Whether suit or shoe, the intent is to accentuate whatever features are closest to the idealized shape. The ideal foot shape is not that of a platypus.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Motorsport226
Do you guys wash or dry clean your sport shirts? I dry clean both my dress and sport shirts but I wear my sport shirts far more often and dry cleaning them all the time is beginning to be a pain **********.

I want to start washing them/ironing them myself, will this decrease their longevity?

Are you sure they are dry cleaning them and not laundering them? In any case, you should launder cotton shirts. If you are worried about longevity, iron them after they come out of the washing machine rather than machine-drying them.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pewpew
What are typical dress shirt fabrics for warm spring/summer weather? Looking for something light weight. Thanks!
typically linen (or blends) are good summer shirts. I've got one shirt with tiny perforations along the striped that's cool, literally. I don't know the exact names for the fabrics but I've got a bunch of shirts that are rather thin for summer, wheras my twills or oxford cloths, etc are warmer winter weights.
Originally Posted by Camacho
I have a nice Paul Stuart wool sport jacket with 4 inch lapels I am thinking of getting reduced, maybe to 3.5"?
Tailor here in NYC said they could remove the collar and perform surgery, but I wanted to get any thoughts based on the pic below.. I got a great deal on the jacket but am coming to realize the lapels are a bit larger than I am used to.. Maybe I'm crazy.. Thanks!

I actually think it looks pretty cool, but you've got to be comfortable with it. If you have a few sportscoats that are more "modern" fit, then this one adds a bit of variety. Yes, they're larger then you're used to, but wear it a few times and try to get used to it. Even 0.5 inches will really make a visual difference, but i'm not sure it's worth the risk of the surgery. I'd say try wearing it a few times with the mental image of it being a "flair" piece, or vintage or something. I just don't know if this type of surgery is hard or easy to do...
Originally Posted by bjorken
Gonna try to buy a pre-owned suit or blazer from ebay.
Any brands you can recommend with extra good pre-owned value?

bit of a minefield there. Plenty of thrifters who just buy anything with a brand name and try to flip. Pay very close attention to brands like Kiton, YSL, Brooks Brothers, etc. Look at lapel width, gorge (notch) height and angle, pattern, and look at what else they're selling (is it all random thrifted junk?). where possible I'd say stick to the B&S here. on ebay at least try to look for "new" in the title.
Originally Posted by kingchinc
What are the blazers with lapels that are outlined with a white or off color border? I have been looking to pick one up but don't know where to start.Thanks.
look for the word "piping/piped".
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Why do people hate square-toed dress shoes? I have no predilection for them, but I often read posts advising people against them, and I'm curious why that is.- Keith
partly it's hate for the sake of it, ie it's trendy and worn by idiots (think ed hardy), plus it's one of those fashion fads we can now act like fashionistas by crapping on because it's so passe. But that's only a tiny bit of the equasion. Mostly it's that they have no real form or elegance. They're blunt and ugly. There's no style, finess, curves, etc. It's just a hacked off end or very elongated one clipped at the end.

jason.wu.05.09

Reaction score
This must be a really basic question, so forgive my ignorance: If a pair of pants is not unhemmed but has already been finished, can a tailor shorten up the pant leg and rehem it?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jason.wu.05.09
This must be a really basic question, so forgive my ignorance: If a pair of pants is not unhemmed but has already been finished, can a tailor shorten up the pant leg and rehem it?
Yes, it's probably the most common alteration tailors perform.

josh1233

Reaction score
Just bought a nice navy colored linen suit from Brooks Bros. for this summer. I was thinking of getting a pair of Allen Edmond's. Do you gents prefer the burgundy or walnut color for a navy suit? Kind of wanted to get away from wearing black shoes all of the time.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josh1233
Just bought a nice navy colored linen suit from Brooks Bros. for this summer. I was thinking of getting a pair of Allen Edmond's. Do you gents prefer the burgundy or walnut color for a navy suit? Kind of wanted to get away from wearing black shoes all of the time.
Walnut is certainly a nice color to pair with navy linen. Burgundy is also acceptable and you might also consider burgundy because it one of the most versatile shoe colors that pairs with nearly every shade of gray and blue as well as olives and some beiges.

rahul

Reaction score
Italian term for not really giving a sh*t for how you look. Stylish in a very carefree way? Thanks

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rahul
Italian term for not really giving a sh*t for how you look. Stylish in a very carefree way? Thanks

Sprezzatura.

EZ

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't find a place with decent silk fabrics in NYC. I am looking for the kind of silk that you would have a tie made out of. Like stripes, and patterns. Any info?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads