1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Exactly. Dark brown now. Black later when you can.

2. brew

brew Member

I am unfortunately required to wear a tie without a jacket for my job; what combinations of fabric/color/pattern (for everything - tie, trousers, shirt) would help this get-up look least foolish?

3. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

What kind of job is it? Black jacket could be okay if you're a club doorman or something along those lines.

4. Art0Vandelay

Art0Vandelay Member

Dark brown over black even if pants selection will probably feature a lot of charcoals and greys?

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  5. All Tatters

All Tatters Well-Known Member

Taking into account that you are eyeing black brogues I would rather advise you to buy dark brown brogues (or any other formal style in dark brown) now and more formal black oxfords (plain cap toe or plain toe) later. Those most formal shoes are really correct in any occasion (except with a tuxedo or morning coat) and could be a staple piece in your shoe wardrobe for years to come.

1 person likes this.
  6. brew

brew Member

I'm a student doing part time clerical work at a library - dress code is "dark jeans or khakis with a shirt and tie." Without a jacket, this is inappropriate to me, but I'd still like to look as decent as I possibly can, within the dress code limits - worsted trousers might be okay, but I'm doing a bit of kneeling/bending/lifting and I think some type of cotton trouser would prove more durable over time.

Specifically, would you prefer certain fabrics, colors, or patterns in order to add something positive to the outfit in the absence of a jacket, or do you just pretend you're wearing a jacket and follow the usual business casual rules?

7. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Light cotton unstructured jackets?

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

I can't imagine a jacket wouldn't be perfectly acceptable under those rules, same with a sweater. And just wear khakis. No need to go for wool, khakis are perfectly good pants.

9. ats200

ats200 Active Member

This suit is on sale at J Crew, it's a ludlow Glen Plaid wool/polyamide blend. I really love the suit but am curious if this is suitable for an office setting and if it's purely a winter style. My wife says winter but I can see it in the summer as well with a light blue shirt.

It's noted as black and khaki with a blue overcheck. Let me know your thoughts!
    [​IMG]

10. sleeppopotamus

sleeppopotamus Member

Quick questions:

1. This shirt more or less fits right, yeah? Like I should buy more of this brand/cut?

[​IMG]

2. Whoah, what is going on here.

[​IMG]

Ignoring the shirt, are these different patterns?? When I got the jacket (light brown zig-zagy) and pants (very fine blue checkerboard) I just assumed they were solids. But on closer inspection they're not. What is this??

11. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Yes.

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Would navy wingtips be superfluous in a wardrobe that already has navy suede strands?

I'm wondering if it would ever be advisable to wear the wingtips where it's unacceptable to wear the suede shoes.

Thanks in advance!

Wingtips
    [​IMG]

Strands: Mine don't have the horween soles. This image taken from a different forum member.

[​IMG]

13. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

There is always room for more shoes. And unlike your suede numbers that are only really suitable for jeans/chinos, your shiny navy brogues could look spectacular with a grey suit - or chinos and a blazer.

1 person likes this.
  14. ridethecliche

Thanks mimo!

I think the suede works pretty well with khakis and chinos and I've worn it with more casual scs.

Sounds like the wingtips are much more formal though. Now to decide if they're worth picking up before I own a pair of brown or burgundy wingtips! I have brown wingtip boots and black longwings but I think burgundy would fill a void. Maybe I'm typical sf fashion, I'll get both!

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

You know "both" is the correct answer. And if you're picking up used or seconds, there's also the value of opportunity with something you really like. You don't see navy brogues every day...

16. ridethecliche

Yeah, I think that's what got me about the navy ones. They're definitely uncommon!

17. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

What's the texture like? It looks more cool-weather than summer-y, but if the fabric weight is right for summer it wouldn't be a disaster.
    That's a sharkskin/pick-and-pick (two names for the same thing) jacket and birdseye trousers. If you bought that in a retail store as a suit, something's up. If you bought it in a thrift store, you paid for a lesson in checking stuff before you buy it.

That shirt's in your size, at least. It could use a press, and the sleeves seem awfully skinny, but really, if you're wearing it under a tailored jacket, then the collar shape and the cloth are as important as the fit through the body.

18. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

I recently just bought this Hugo Boss magenta pin dot tie here in Canada. Obviously being Canada the price was $110 and I know Hugo Boss doesn't have a great reputation here. Though the tie does say made in Italy.

Should I return it or keep it. I love the color and I'm a newbie at folding ties yet it created the best dimple I've ever had (this is my first 'good' tie). I feel like I should keep it because finding a quality magenta pin dot tie is pretty hard. I mean I see purple pin dot and stuff or maybe a light pink but not this.

Please ignore that I didn't cover the top button of my shirt with my tie. Rookie mistake. Keep the tie or not?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  19. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

Is there an autumn/winter equivalent of the blazer suit? Ie something in earthy colors that could be worn as a suit or sport coat?

20. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

Well there's nothing to stop you wearing a navy blazer/blazer suit in autumn/winter of course. You could wear the jacket from a tweed suit separately quite easily. But how often would you wear a tweed suit? I have one but rarely wear it, though I'm in tweed jackets all the time.