1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Possible. Price really depends on where you live, and who you go to.

2. mikael3

mikael3 New Member

I posted this on the Observations page, but then I decided it was better asked here.

As a rule, I don't like patent leather bluchers with a tuxedo, but EG's black patent Holborn has forced me to reconsider. Then again, their design is not a typical blucher. It reminds me of the monkstrap formal shoe in the often-copied, 1939 Esquire magazine image, which shows formal options for summer or tropical parties. I have to say, that EG blucher is just perfect for that type of party. Somehow, it captures that "slightly less formal" quality that I think is necessary in the summer, particularly in the American South.

Am I crazy to wear that shoe? Am I even crazier for trying to pull together a summer-formal kit?

Surely, EG of all places has a sense of what is appropriate for formal wear. Is anyone else wearing that shoe?

3. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

What kind of welt is this? Storm welt?
    [​IMG]

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

5. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Can I cut this belt? I'm looking to shorten it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ImTheGroom

I have two white shirts. One has sleeves that are only barely long enough, and can disappear up the coast sleeve, if not tugged down. The other is 15 years old and slightly yellowed. Next to each other the yellow is obvious; in its own in daylight, it probably appears white except on very close inspection. Sleeves in the old shirt are perfect.

Which would you say is the lesser of two evils?

7. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Of course you can. The question is can you sew the ends back together. I'd guess you can't. Take it to your shoe guy; they know how to work with leather.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  8. ImTheGroom

I was able to steam, and stretch the too short sleeves. It was a thrifted shirt that had sleeves too short, so I figured what was to lose, if I ripped or ruined it?

9. Staffer18283

Staffer18283 Well-Known Member

Do people generally buy half a size smaller in monk shoes compared to oxfords ?

10. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

No. Generally, one buys the same size in monks as in oxfords.

11. sleeppopotamus

sleeppopotamus Member

On the scale of formality between a button-down and a contrast spread color, where does a club collar fall? Does it work with thin faces? And could it go with a straight barrel cuff, i.e. neither mitered nor rounded?

12. vafan13

vafan13 Active Member

I read the article which strongly suggested to not have the groomsmen match (which I am all about), however, if the bridesmaids already have dresses in the exact same color will it look odd if the groomsmen end up obviously less uniform in different shades of navy?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  13. Skatenc123

Skatenc123 Well-Known Member

The only pair of monks I have are johnston and murphy and I did size .5 down. The same size gave way to much heel slip. Although I do still have some minor heel slip. All in all monks rant for everybody.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

15. theh00d

theh00d Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm looking for inexpensive, decent quality trousers/pants for work.
    I'm a size 28, most I seen are usually 30 are above.
    Any recommendations on brands, where to look, etc.?

Thanks.

16. ImTheGroom

Are your legs also skinny? I'm a 30, but I have to buy 32 pants and bring in the waist to accommodate my legs.

1 person likes this.
  17. theh00d

theh00d Well-Known Member

Yes I would say so.

18. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

No.

1 person likes this.
  19. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

Club collar verges on costume to my eye, and is certainly too unusual these days to be properly formal, whatever its original level of formality may have been.

1 person likes this.
  20. deadAngle

deadAngle Well-Known Member

Club collar works for anything from workshirt level to full-on morning dress, and works for all levels of spread as it's just a normal collar with the points rounded off. May want to seriously consider it if you have a very square or angular face in order to soften your look. If you like it, wear it.