1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

I'd say a very pale blue.

2. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

It's not too bad. Use a light blue shirt to begin with. It's a very safe option. I'd avoid white shirts.

3. devastitis

devastitis Well-Known Member

Ah, okay, thanks. I'm going to try them with my cream colored suit. I feel like that would be the ideal suit for that combo.

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

I think white shirts could work. In fact, a white oxford would probably be my first choice with that. University striped oxfords would be good too. Embrace the preppy.

SF has developed an absurd anti-white groupthink recently. It's best ignored.

1 person likes this.
  5. ImTheGroom

I think the tie might partially disappear on a white shirt. But, then, you can find that out by laying it on a white shirt.

6. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Blending somewhat isn't the worst thing in the world. Summer is a time for lower contrast looks (especially if you're throwing a light colored jacket in the mix), because the increased light increases contrast as is- that's why dark, contrasty winter looks come off as much more severe in sun, and why night time dress is starker- you need greater contrast in elements in the dimmer light to keep things distinct.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that a tie should be darker than the shirt. It's not an absolute rule, but I find that I very rarely see a look I like that doesn't meet that standard. And maybe it's just the photo, but that comes off as an extremely light tie. It resolves to a pretty pale color as a whole. Think about it like you would a light silver tie, or a yellow one. The optimal pairing is with a shirt that at least has a white ground. Very light blues could work, but honestly be afraid of the shirt being too dark. Again, maybe it's just the photo and I'm overreacting, but I think white is safer.

Just for a visual, this is about what we're talking about. Sorry for the lousy photo, it's just stolen off of google.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. ImTheGroom

I am convinced. A white button down is a perfectly viable option.

8. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Well-Known Member

Are the British and Italian shoes worth the eye-gouging 2x-4x in price in comparison to Allen Edmonds/Alden? I read on PutThisOn that the differences become increasingly marginal the higher the price tag.

9. taylorswift

taylorswift Active Member

folks, do you think cuffed pants are good to match with chelsea boots?
    i have a pair of chelsea boot
    i am thinking if it is good to make a pair of cuffed pant and wear with chelsea boots

10. Spurious

Spurious Well-Known Member

11. AE7

AE7 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much sothbound35 and TM79!

1 person likes this.
  12. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Well, the nationality of the shoes is the least important factor. I admit, the nicest shoes I own are AEs, but I've had the chance to check out a number of costlier options. Many of them are quite a bit nicer. The Grenson Masterpiece captoes that called my name at Paul Stuart (jawdroppingly cheap, but too similar to my Strands), for example, were made from obviously nicer leather, with better stitching and were much nicer to hold and look at. They were also more comfortable, and everything I have read suggests that they would last at least a little better.

It's also an aesthetic issue -- AE trying to do an elegant, English shoe is like me trying to intimidate somebody. It's just not convincing.

13. LambJacket

LambJacket New Member

I'm getting married later this month, and I have my suit and tie picked out, but I'd like some feedback on the pocket square.

I'm not looking to impress menswear experts because I'm sure I'm incapable of that, but I'm more looking for a "don't worry that's not going to make people go blind with how horrible it is" kind of feedback. The wedding itself is not super formal at all - ceremony and reception are in an old wood/brick/concrete space adjoining a flower shop.

Color options are limited due to the wedding palette of greens / golds / creams (bride will be in an ivory kind of color which is lighter and more yellow / less brown than my tie). One thing I wonder is whether doing a silk ps is the right choice. I feel like for a wedding having both tie and ps be silk is probably okay, but what do you think?

I apologize for the sloppy dressing job, I wanted to get this posted before I left for work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks, guys.

14. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

White linen square, folded.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. ImTheGroom

I agree. If you do go with this green one (I wouldn't) show a lot less of it. I realize you may have pulled it up out of the pocket to door the colour, but I think either straight fold, it double peaks will be good. Highly recommended white linen, with either of those folds.

16. Displacement

Displacement Well-Known Member

I agree on the white linen square and would recommend Kent Wang's for $25 to get it done. And tighten that tie.

That said, rock solid first post.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. LambJacket

LambJacket New Member

I pulled it out to give a better idea of the color and pattern for the picture, but even then I didn't mean to show that much of it. It does look really distracting, especially in the thumbnail.

I can see that white linen would look nice and I know it's the classic choice, so I'm totally happy doing that. Are you saying that nothing I do with that ps will look as good as a crisp white linen?

It's possible the bride may some color in the ps and if I go with a color, do you have any suggestion of what to do differently?

18. ImTheGroom

Nothing will look as good as a crisp, white, PS. If you cannot negotiate for that, perhaps a white square, with pin stripes. Gingham is too casual, and I think Paisley, it anything busy like that, could be distracting. Remember you want the eye drawn to the face, not the chest.

19. LambJacket

LambJacket New Member

Thanks
    Thanks. It actually looks like the Kent Wang white linen ps is only $20. For that price, I will put the groomsmen all in that ps.

1 person likes this.
  20. devastitis

devastitis Well-Known Member

That doesn't look bad at all. I will wear it with a white Oxford shirt as well. Thanks!