1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Try Kent Wang - they're great - and have it tailored (if necessary) at Field's in Georgetown - Will's great.

2. abl

abl Well-Known Member

Kent Wang's a bit higher end, right ($750-1,000)? Any sense of how he compares with the similarly-priced Suit Supply stuff? I'm looking for a summer weight suit in that price range and SS doesn't carry anything.

3. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Isn't that more or less what SS costs?

4. Displacement

Displacement Well-Known Member

what

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. amorin

amorin Member

Oops I mean $300 it was $260 euros

6. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

Is it OK to wear a tuxedo shirt with a non-tuxedo suit?

Thanks in advance.

7. kankles

kankles Active Member

Navy pinstripe suit and burgundy shoes: anyone suggest a few good tie colours?

My go to ties for my navy suits are burgundy/grey/silver and I rarely deviate. I'm thinking red?

8. Andrew Ryan

Andrew Ryan Well-Known Member

Depends on the shirt, but I wouldn't go with true red, it's too in your face and rarely flattering, IMO. For an ultra sedate look go with a white shirt and a navy tie (darker or equal to suit in order not to clash). Pink shirt and burgundy tie would complement the shoes, if you're not opposed to going with burgundy again. Then again, I'm pretty conservative on neckwear - I wear solid navy textured ties 99% of the time.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    2 people like this.
  9. Andrew Ryan

"Okay"? Sure. Advisable? No.

10. deadAngle

deadAngle Well-Known Member

Depends on the type of tuxedo shirt. If you mean a fly-front shirt with turn-down collar (possibly detachable) and french/single link cuffs, then go for it because that's pretty much just a business shirt anyway. If it contains a bib (pleated or flat), a wing collar, or stud front, you're best off with keeping that with the tuxedo.

11. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

Specifically, something like this...

[​IMG]

Thanks again.

12. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

No. Absolutely not. You will look ridiculous.

13. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

God no. Bright red is not a solution. Your go to ties are great. But also consider brown, blue, black or deep greens.

1 person likes this.
  14. Veremund

+1. Listen to ITG.

15. Andrew Ryan

+1. Brown or dark green w/ a pale blue shirt and navy suit is good, but think about swapping the burgundy shoes for brown in that case.

1 person likes this.
  16. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Said no one, ever.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  17. Veremund

Lol!

18. AlexanderTG

AlexanderTG Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to SF in general and definitely to CM, but I do have a question and I'm hoping for some advice (please be gentle) :)

I'm 43, 5'6" and a size 40-42 in most shirts/jackets.

I'm looking for a brand or style of blazer that has softer shoulders than most. It seems a lot of the jackets I try on end up with way too much padding and it doesn't look flattering. I have a couple of jackets I've collected over the years (Jil Sander, Margiela, Boss) but they just look like I'm dressing up for the prom or court. ;)

And being 5'6" and with rather short arms I can almost always assure myself that whatever I do find will have to be hemmed. I have a couple of tailors out here but they've all managed to massacre the jackets I have at the cuffs and just basically move the buttons up three inches and do away with the original cuff.

I live four hours from NYC and get there from time to time. I'd love to say I could just go and try on a bunch and make my decision that way, but it's more realistic for me to just try and seek out something online with a good return policy (like Mr Porter).

Am I looking for an unstructured? Soft shoulders? Thom Browne? Brioni? Saint Laurent? I see lots of brands and terms out there but it's hard to really see it all in context sometimes.

My price range is around 1k.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

ATG

19. Andrew Ryan

I'd wholeheartedly recommend SuitSupply, but if a Short sizing (as in, 38S, &c.) still requires sleeve shortening, you'd be out of luck, as SS uses working buttonholes. That said, they have a store in NYC but also have a great online return/exchange process.

W/r/t unstructured vs soft shoulders, I think you're looking for a soft or natural shouldered item. Unstructured does not refer accurately to tailored clothing, which is by definition structured. "Unstructured" means it is lacking some of the usual structural elements of jackets, such as a canvas, shoulder support, or even a lining - lack of which may overlap with a soft shouldered, minimally constructed tailored jacket, but never are the two the same.

20. AlexanderTG

AlexanderTG Well-Known Member

Very cool. Thank you, Andrew. I'll look into SuitSupply. I could probably get away with a 40S, I just don't see that option offered much with the brands I'm familiar with (Margiela, Raf, APC, etc). My size has changed dramatically over the years (from 230lbs down to a still-to-be-improved-upon 175) so I've hesitated investing too heavily in tailored clothes. But that's something I'm hoping to change this year.

Thanks for your input.