• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good evening (Because it's evening here :D)
Today I have two question that need you to enlighten for me:
1. Is it a compulsion to wear a tie that match a pocket square in term of colour, fabric etc?
2. In a tropical summer, can I wear a tie with a dress shirt without a suit jacket? Does it look ludicrous?

These are the two ugliest mistakes you can make in regards to fashion. I absolutely HATE these two things.

Why in the world do you have to match your pocket square like a girl? Your square should look like something you just randomly threw in there.

Some good combos:

- purple with green
- blue with orange/yellow/pink/brown

Last edited:

stockholm

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Going to US next week and I'm looking to buy a navy blue suit suitable for business. Preferably on sale and less than 500 USD. Where and what brand should I look for?

g-banger

Reaction score

+1. Definitely don't fit.

Thanks everyone for your comments - will put up on marketplace. Im going to wait till HY gets more pants in as they fit 1000x better.

Andrews2023

Reaction score
Could someone/anyone help me with a question in regards to bow ties. I'm new here so take it easy on me. Lol

Where could I get the measurement liner that is sewn into a freestyle bow tie? I want to make some bow ties for friends and family but I want to put the measure tape/liner inside. Does anyone know?

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Unfortunately I say return it. Worsted pants with a flannel jacket would look bad. The style is ok for an odd jacket, it is passable, however the color is very hard to pair with odd trousers. See if you can shop around at different locations for the pants, or even keep checking ebay or something to see if they pop up.
What's wrong with worsted pants/ flannel jacket? I'm not doubting you; I'm just having a hard time picturing the problem.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hey Everyone,
Going to US next week and I'm looking to buy a navy blue suit suitable for business. Preferably on sale and less than 500 USD. Where and what brand should I look for? 

What city in the US are you visiting? If you can find something at Brooks Brothers on sale you can get one for about $500. Avoid Mens Wearhouse at all costs.

Hovk

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with how J. Crew fits?

I'm 145 lbs 6' tall and wondering whether I'm supposed to be a S o M.

AmericanGent

Reaction score

There are many variables, but it depends on your body. If you are slim and have small shoulders you could be a small, but if you have broad shoulders, a long torso, etc you might need med. If you can't decide you can buy both and return one.

Hovk

Reaction score
There are many variables, but it depends on your body. If you are slim and have small shoulders you could be a small, but if you have broad shoulders, a long torso, etc you might need med. If you can't decide you can buy both and return one.
Thank you for answering.

I'm not very muscular so I guess my shoulders are pretty small. When it comes to shirts I usually use custom S or M slim fit (PRL). The problem with sweaters in size S is that they risk getting a bit to short. As I said I'm 6'. Do you reckon a S J. Crew would be long enough :)?

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would think small might not be long enough in the arms for you.
you also probably have decent shoulders but just are a thin person.

K2793

Reaction score
Is this flannel meant to be tucked in? I never realized how curved the hem is. It's a thicker material so I thought it was more casual considering the pattern. I feel it looks odd. If it should be worn untucked, is this particular one too big on me?

In general what kind of hem do I want to look for in untucked casual shirts? Or should I just take shirts to a tailor and ask for a more casual hem? Not speaking of dress shirts.

Last edited:

Badandy

Reaction score
Could I wear a dark brown woven belt with dark brown oxfords as part of a business casual outfit?

Thinking OCBD, Epaulet french blue trousers, dark brown captoe oxfords.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads