• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how come you have to apply shoe polish to shoes to keep them from drying out and cracking, but you don't have to do that with suede shoes? then what prevents them from cracking?

ITS MAGIC!!!

Funny. I was looking for a serious answer. :confused:

What are you suppose to do to maintain suede shoes? I got shoes trees, and what else needs to be done?

ericH123

Reaction score
Funny. I was looking for a serious answer.
confused.gif

What are you suppose to do to maintain suede shoes? I got shoes trees, and what else needs to be done?
Use a suede brush to get out any dirt. Then spray with suede protector. If you have direct access to the smooth hide on the inside of the shoe, you can use a leather conditioner like Lexol, leather honey or meltonian.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the brand Ze Garie for suits? I went to a professional suit shop here in my town (not a department store or chain, rather a boutique/warehouse for menswear) and they fit me like a glove. I was able to get a charcoal and navy suit for $300 together. Supposedly they are at least DESIGNED in Italy, and use 140's wool, which beat the Alfani suit I returned to Macy's. However, the website listed on their tag (zegarie.com) doesn't exist, and a google search yields absolutely nothing relevant to the brand in terms of suits. What gives?

Would any of you be able to shed some light on this brand? Even if they're relatively nonexistent I would like to think I got a decent deal for both suits. I am a college student and just started work in a professional environment where I may have to wear a suit every now and then and really wanted to have my own after gathering some knowledge on the internet. I really like the way the suits fit, so I would probably still keep them regardless (which may or may not have something to do with the fact that they were final sale when I bought them at the store). Thanks in advance everyone.
Post some fit pics, then.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well the fit for the shirt and sweater aren't a big concern for me. They actually fit pretty well. Instead I've been reconsidering the colors I've chosen because I don't know how to pair it up with my current wardrobe. I'm more into neutrals, blues, dark grays, dark brown and then maybe a pop of yellow or green there but nothing like what I just bought. I thought the colors were cool until I tried them on and then started to second guess whether I can see myself wearing it everyday or every other day if you know what I mean. agghhh :embar:

IMO light color shirts/sweaters etc. look good on white or pale white skin. I have dark complexion and those kind of colors just make me look darker and awful. Just my view, might not have any rationale behind it though.

Last edited:

blacktaro

Reaction score
I would like to ask for the comparison of Dockers Alpha Khakis and Jcrew Factory Urban Slim in term of quality/fits :foo: ? They both run around $30/each, which is suitable for my budget, as a college students :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer: And I would probably wear them fews time a week since I don't have a job which require dressing up right now.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funny. I was looking for a serious answer. :confused:

When you say shoe polish helps prevent drying out and cracking you mean shoe cream right or leather conditioner right? Polish wax does not do either.

acedevil

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to buy a tuxedo. Now I am more of a three piece guy even though I am not really old. My choice is between a midnight blue tuxedo or a black one with peak lapels and a velvet (?) vest.
I am edging towards the black one because of my tan skin, black hair and really dark brown eyes. (Looks black) Though a lot of people say midnight blue suits me nore.
Apart from the color, the next few times I'll be wearing this tuxedo is New Years, a party hosted in afternoon, a school function in the afternoon, a dinner, and a night time wedding. What do you think I should I get?
If I go with the midnight blue, should I go with a black vest or the same color? Or maybe it's time for my first two piece tailored suit?

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to buy a tuxedo. Now I am more of a three piece guy even though I am not really old. My choice is between a midnight blue tuxedo or a black one with peak lapels and a velvet (?) vest.
I am edging towards the black one because of my tan skin, black hair and really dark brown eyes. (Looks black) Though a lot of people say midnight blue suits me nore.
Apart from the color, the next few times I'll be wearing this tuxedo is New Years, a party hosted in afternoon, a school function in the afternoon, a dinner, and a night time wedding. What do you think I should I get?
If I go with the midnight blue, should I go with a black vest or the same color? Or maybe it's time for my first two piece tailored suit?
Your complexion should not matter. The whole idea behind midnight blue is that it looks black. Under certain lighting conditions, it can look blacker than black, as black sometimes gives off a greenish cast. If the color of the fabric is obviously blue, then chances are, it isn't midnight blue.

As for the vest, it really depends on the material. If the body of the vest is wool, then the fabric should match the jacket fabric. If it is all silk, then you should be matching the lapels, which are most likely black, even on a midnight blue jacket.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whatever you do, make sure the vest is a low-cut tuxedo vest and not the normal shape high-gorge vest like would be worn with a 3-piece suit. That style of vest should never be worn with a tuxedo.

FranSuitman

Reaction score
I

Just bought these two from J. Crew today. Should I keep 'em or return them for something else in the store?

If I were you I would keep the sweater and return the shirt. I have the same problem than you, I use a lot navy, grey, brown. Sometimes I prefer to add some color for a change. The sweater is more versatile and easier to match than that shirt, but that's up to you!

ericH123

Reaction score
Is this moth damage? Or something else? If so, I do I get rid of those nasty mother F***ers?
Yes, looks moth eaten. It happens to wool. You can't get rid of all moths, just like you can't get rid of all mosquitos. Best bet is to keep your clothes clean and store in sealed bags when you aren't wearing them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads