1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. tcln1456

tcln1456 Member

The only thing they're lacking is shoulder width measurements. I'll go back and edit my post.

2. RashedMohamed

RashedMohamed Active Member

3. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Search Google for "Tailor Dallas StyleForum" - it is sometimes more fruitful than SF's search tool.

4. gravitas1

gravitas1 Active Member

Anyone know where I can buy solaro fabric? Want to have my tailor make me a suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. neachdainn

neachdainn Member

Knock some sense into me...

Getting married in Greece this upcoming may, and am getting a suit made for it (and afterwards).

After reading several articles, threads, and posts in all caps saying "DONT WEAR BLACK YOU TOOL!", I think I'm pretty settled on either a charcoal or dark grey suit. My question is, do I try to coordinate something with my tie/square and the wedding colours (purple), or just go with the best colour/pattern for me?

I will have a boutonnière, so if guess there will be a "little" bit of the colours somewhere on my suit regardless...

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

What time of year will it be? You'll die of heat exhaustion if you don't get the fabric and its construction right.

7. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

At my own wedding (wearing a medium gray three-piece) I forewent a square in favor of the boutonniere and wore a light gray glen plaid tie. I think "our colors" were green and dark pink, but that only mattered for the flowers and invitations.

If it got to be a big deal with your fiancée you could probably get away just fine with a wedding-patterned tie (glen plaid, shepherd's check, etc) that has purple accents; I'd suggest making sure there are some black-and-white photos just in case it looks like something you'd regret in twenty years.

8. neachdainn

neachdainn Member

Late May. We opted against the middle of the summer, mainly due to that fact. It will be a custom suit as well, so I'm going to be adamant that it is constructed in a way that I'll be at least marginally comfortable ;)

I was thinking of running a 3 piece, just so I can ditch the jacket if things get too warm, and still retain some semblance of formality.

9. xman74

xman74 New Member

I've got a work holiday party/dinner tomorrow night and was looking for thoughts on my choice of wardrobe.

The dress code is open but most people dress in business attire. They're mostly boring bankers in blue and gray suits.

I like to push the limits a little so I was thinking I would wear a nice, fitted, dark blue velvet jacket I have with the slim black tuxedo pants from my tuxedo. I was thinking white shirt, though not a tuxedo shirt, and either open collar or with a black silk tie to dress it down a little.

Will I look ridiculously formal around all the blue and gray suits? I don't mind standing out, but I don't want to look like a complete tool, especially since our well-dressed CEO attends the event.

Thanks!

10. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

bumping this since no responses

11. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

A SF poster named Despos is a tailor in Dallas and does bespoke quality work - tons of people here rave about his work, too. He may not do basic alterations but you could always PM him and ask who he recommends in the Dallas area for alterations.

12. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Well, it's tough to say absolutely, but I can tell you that if I were attending a work-related social event, and all the men there (including me) were wearing traditional, conservative blue or grey suits, and some fellow then showed up wearing a velvet jacket and slim-fitting tuxedo pants, yeah, I might well think he was a tool. Or at least that he lacked some common sense.

Your desire to "push the limits a little" is fine. But not so much at work-related functions, full of bankers in blue and grey suits, as in purely social occasions. And a velvet jacket and the slim-fitting pants from your black tuxedo, would leave you pushing the limits not just a little, but too much. Sometimes, it's a fine line separating "creative limits tester" and "the fool." Do try not to cross that line.

13. bik2101

bik2101 Well-Known Member

@tcln1456 - you;re probably gonna want a 34. I've got pretty similar measurements to you and that's the size that I got last year. sold the coat because I didn't like the fit all that much and here are the measurements from the 34R I bought and sold last yr:

P2P: 20.25"
    shoulder: 18"
    length (back): 30"
    sleeves from shoulder: 24"
    sleeves from pit: 17"

14. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

club soda perhaps.

15. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Difficult to say, without examining the tie. Not all "fairly small, darker stains" are alike, after all. Nor are all ties.

The cheaper option would be to attempt to do it yourself. You could buy some Amodex Ink & Stain Remover, which is inexpensive and well thought of in various fountain pen circles as a way of removing ink stains from neckties, and have a go at it. Depending on the stain and the tie, it might work perfectly well. Or it might not.

The better - but considerably more costly - option would be to send the tie to Tie Crafters, and let them try to make it right.

16. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Well-Known Member

I'm trying to sell something. When they ask me " how much shipped", what exactly does that mean, Am I paying for shipping, are they? Are they asking for a total price to pay with shipping included?

Also, whats the best parcel service from Toronto to the States? ( price wise)

17. tcln1456

tcln1456 Member

@bik2101 Regarding the fit, was it too boxy? What other peacoat brands would you recommend besides Sterlingwear?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  18. Gandalf28

Gandalf28 New Member

I ordered a full zip vest from Brooks Brothers last week. To my horror, it had 2 holes in it! I heard Brooks Brothers made good stuff, but this experience has confounded me. I suppose some deals (even black friday deals) are too good to be true. That said, if I was looking for a good quality cotton vest and sweater, which companies would be good to consider. Things to keep in mind: size wise, I am a slightly husky; with regard to my height, I am around 5 ft 5 inches; and economically speaking, I just started my career, so wouldn't want to spend too much. Any good suggestions?

19. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Yes.

20. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

How van you tell if a jacket is orphaned or odd?
    Reason I ask is this Hugo Boss Einstein Sigma jacket I have in front of me now.
    [​IMG]