1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. MMoon24

MMoon24 Well-Known Member

Yeah, our workplace is pretty flexible. You can come in wearing a suit if you want everyday, or you can opt to wear chinos + dress shirt. Really, the only time it's mandatory for us to wear a suit is when we have clients coming over. So I guess I sort of answered my own question. I think I was more confused on the difference of chinos or khakis like some posted here. I just started hearing the word "chinos" a few years ago, and it was by celebrities who would wear them in weird colors.

I personally like to alternate depending on my mood (and how late I'm running).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. CTLION

CTLION Well-Known Member

My office is much the same. I am the only one in the office that wears a suit everyday, while our CEO is a dress shirt and blazer guy. They have mentioned that. I don't have to wear a suit and I respond, "my suit reminds me that I am here to work, to close deals and set the example for my team." From day to day I could be at my desk or sitting down with a doctor or a CEO of a health system. In my opinion my suit reflects the amount of respect I have for them.

Regarding button down shirts. I would never wear one with a suit and tie, and while I rarely wear a suit without a tie...I could justify a button up dress shirt if I was without a tie.

1 person likes this.
  3. MMoon24

One more question! I've had a 100 dollar Express Gift Card sitting in my wallet for quite some time. Personally, I've tried some of their suit pants and am not a huge fan. They just feel...cheap. Anything you guys would recommend?

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Nail, meet hammer. Hammer, meet nail.

Completely agree with you.

I actually like some of their dress shirts, but if nothing else you can get socks. I like their socks.
    If even that doesn't work for you, then I'll have you know that I'm not beyond accepting donations :p

5. J011yroger

J011yroger Well-Known Member

Accessory type things? If you can find some scarves, socks, whatever that you like the look of or that fill a need.

Their clothes have always looked to me like they would fall apart after a few wearings/washings. And they tend to have that cheap cloth shine to them, that "I sell wireless phones in the mall" shine.

J

6. MMoon24

I agree. Their shirts and pants come off feeling really cheap and crappy. And I also agree on the shine. Took one look at the materials and saw it was 40% polyester. Those guys are ripping people off.
    I will now go buy 100 dollars worth of socks xP.

7. chrispy650

chrispy650 Well-Known Member

I agree the only thing I buy from express is their socks. I got monthly coupons from them and it ends up being 5 pairs for $17.

8. J011yroger

Do you have any women for whom you will be buying gifts this holiday season? They seem to wear this disposable clothing.

J

1 person likes this.
  9. MMoon24

To sum it up in two words: Forever Alone.

10. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Sell it on eBay. It'll go for $85-90, and even after eBay and PayPal fees you'll clear about enough to pay for a Sam Hober tie.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

And yet, due to oddities in the language, they are. The color was actually named after the garment, not the other way around. It's perfectly normal to wear navy or gray khakis. Black khakis, on the other hand, make you look like a high school kid or a waiter.

12. rabbit7471

rabbit7471 Member

I am totally mindblown. Haha!

13. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

I bought 2 pairs of their Photographer pants. I actually like them from a fit perspective. I expect them to fall apart quickly though.

14. bbob2013

bbob2013 Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

I recently got this suit, and it's really hard to tell the color, but it's more of a grey blue almost charcoal blue, light plaid with very fine pink/magenta large checks as an accent. I really like the color but I'm having a hard time getting a good tie combination. Any suggestions?

Three shirt options: white with small blue check, light pink, or white. I don't think I can pull off the pink but I was thinking it might pick up the accent.

Thoughts? (the first picture is the closest to actual color)

[​IMG]

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I disagree a little. I have two slim fit shirts by them that I've had for three years and used to be part of my regular rotation much more heavily. They've only not started showing their age.

Additionally, the shirt I wore today (picture earlier in thread) is an express shirt. 97% cotton and 3% spandex.

They do make *some* good stuff.

16. chrispy650

chrispy650 Well-Known Member

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

If you were going to own only one pair, they would be a nice choice. But you should own at least a couple pairs. At least pick up some silk knots.

18. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

I find that chinos are more comfortable than trousers most of the time. I wear them to work on casual Fridays and if it is raining out and I know it's going to be messy out. When I get home I can just throw the chinos in the laundry whereas my trousers would need to go to the dry cleaners. I would also not wear an OCBD with trousers as I think trousers are too formal for OCBDS and vice versa. Same with polos. IMO they have their place.

19. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Stop corrupting our language, please :censored:

20. J011yroger

Great points, makes sense to me. Would you consider nice golf pants half way between chinos and trousers?

It is very possible that they vary significantly from line to line year to year. I've certainly seen it in other brands, J Crew especially; some of their shirts are respectable quality, and some are rubbish.

J