1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Well-Known Member

cross post
    is mainline or silver label line?
    [​IMG]

2. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Lol.

3. J011yroger

J011yroger Well-Known Member

I have two, a Land's End, and an L.L. Bean.

One given to me by my mother, one given to me by my father, both for Christmas two years ago, both still unworn.

It's not that I don't like them, but they aren't really my style. I'm going to peruse those two threads and see if I can find some inspiration.

J

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

They speak to me for some reason. I really like how they change with light.

I got an ad for 20jeans and they sell done that look pretty good. Check their site out and let mgr know what you think. I think it's pretty great for the price point.

Www.20jeans.com I think.

5. brew

brew Member

Hello, can someone recommend a pair of RTW or even MTO (but not full bespoke) boots made with high quality leather and construction? It doesn't have to be hand-welted - blake/rapid is good enough; something with a sole at least equal in quality to Rendenbach valona or J & FJ Baker oak bark soles. The closest I've come is boots from the Rider Boot Company, as they are blake/rapid with quality uppers - but unfortunately, they are only available in rubber dainite soles. Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  6. jayw

jayw Well-Known Member

True that. I went with the brown one, since I usually wear indigo colored raw denim so I figured brown would contrast better.

7. J011yroger

When can I wear spectators aside from at a horse race, or polo match? I have until spring to convince myself that I need a pair.

J

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  8. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

I can't help here but if you manage it let me know. I think they're beautiful but I've never actually seen a pair in the wild (possibly because I never attend any horse races or polo matches). I'd love even a half arsed excuse to pick up a pair.

9. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

In all my time I've never seen one pair of spectators at a horse race or polo match.

10. J011yroger

Well I'm conveniently located by Belmont, and Meadowbrook Polo Club, but I obviously have other stuff I could wear. Might do Kentucky Derby this year.

Just don't want another pair of shoes that I wear once or twice a year.

J

11. J011yroger

As soon as I can justify this purchase with some convoluted woman-like logic there is going to be a new sheriff in town.

J

1 person likes this.
  12. ridethecliche

What kind of boots are you looking for?
    AE has MTO's that I've seen on the AE appreciation thread here that look amazing! They do some cool boots too.

Also, have you looked at frye? They're pretty solid as well.

Whenever you like? You're talking about brown/tan spectators right? I think they'd look good with jeans or chinos tbh. I'd rock that look!

13. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

That is a very good question. There is a large Salvation Army store in Brandywine, MD that I have been meaning to pop into but I have been really looking for a decent place in the Bethesda/Rockville/Potomac area

14. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Well-Known Member

I laughed. Thank You

15. J011yroger

I'd get brown and white...

[​IMG]

J

16. CTLION

CTLION Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Walnut and Bone. I have debated buying a pair for years. I finally pulled the trigger now that I live in Florida and work throughout the SE USA, the Caribbean and South America. I have yet to wear them but that will change on Tuesday of next week. I am traveling for a meeting in Miami where the weather should be 85F or so.

I will wear them with a khaki suit, pink shirt, tie and pink socks. In Florida and the Tropics I have dropped the Labor Day rule and have drawn the line in the sand by the temperature. Come summer time they will see more and more wear.

People are boorish when it comes to these shoes. It's more about attitude. I think they are beautiful and I simply love the look of the 1920s and 1930s.

All of that being said I think you can get away with more down in the South. I just recently moved here from the Midwest and I think it might have been a tougher call in the conservative Midwest.

17. ridethecliche

Sorry, that's what I meant... Oy. I'm failing with the words lately.

Yes! I would do the same. Heck, I'd make reasons to wear them. If you believe you can pull it off, you will pull it off.

Take notes JR!

I really want a pair as well. I'll think about it come spring time.

18. ridethecliche

I have a couple of shoe related questions: 1) I'm thinking of buying a set of brown oxfords and wingtips (2 separate pairs) where one of the shoes is a shade darker than the other. It's noticeable if you look for a bit. Is this something that you can 'fix' by adding a coat of polish or two, or not? Here's an example with a darker left shoe: [​IMG] 2) I have a pair of JM shoes I thrifted that are supremely comfortable but a bit beat up. I was wondering if I should just toss them when they're done or if I can do anything to get rid of the patches where the leather has seen better days. I don't mind them looking a little worn. They're obviously not going to be worn at interviews. Picture: [​IMG]

19. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

1. Differential polishing will bring them closer together. Also, store the lighter colored shoe in a box and leave the darker shoe exposed to light. That pair looks like one was a display model and was lightened by exposure to light while the other was tucked away in a box.

2. That shoe looks like it has not been polished. Apply a couple of rounds of brush polishing to them and answer the question for yourself. It is a bit roughed up but is an nice looking shoe. WABI (worn and broken in) is not always such a bad thing.

20. bbhues

bbhues Well-Known Member

Is the assumption here that the color of your coat must match the color of your suit? I was under the impression they did not have to be the same color.