1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

At least when it comes to sweaters, I'll take a nice merino wool sweater over a low grade cashmere one, any day of the week.

2. Lokesh

Lokesh Well-Known Member

So a nice merino could be had for the same price as low grade cashmere?

Besides price as a hint, how do you tell if the cashmere is good? Just by how it feels generally?

Thanks, I'll look into those as well.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  3. Businessness

Businessness Well-Known Member

I was thinking more along the lines of high quality or bespoke like John Lobb for example

4. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

They'll use the same leathers and put the same workmanship and finishing, of course. The caveat is, if/when the elastic wears out, I've heard EG and JL will not replace it. Good cobblers such as B. Nelson, however, can fab a replacement.

5. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Often at a lower price than low grade cashmere.

You start by googling "how to judge cashmere," clicking on the links to those of the results which seem most relevant to your question, and reading. :)

6. Lokesh

Lokesh Well-Known Member

Ok that's interesting to hear. I've never bought scarves before, so I don't know anything about what materials to look for. All I know is cashmere is supposed to be the better materials for a scarf

:facepalm:

But fair enough haha. I went into Uniqlo today and saw that they had some cashmere scarves for $40. From what I've heard Uniqlo quality is fairly good, and I would assume their cashmere is fairly good too. Felt soft enough. Wonder if those can be beat for the price.

7. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

Looking at testing out a new local tailor by commissioning a sports coat. They're really big on pushing Dormeuil.

I want a basic casual unconstructed summer coat to survive hot dry Australian summers. Which of the following fabrics would be best for keeping cool and looking casual (i'm very inexperienced so I don't trust myself just checking the swatches) or would none of them be appropriate?:

100% linen
    100% cotton
    50% linen 50% silk

I also saw another that was linen/silk/cashmere but it looked pretty shiny (surprisingly much more so than the 50/50 silk ).

They're all Dormeuil from the Naturals book and they're charging $450-500. Is this good? It's significantly cheaper than other quotes Ive recived from other (more reputable) tailors.

8. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

From what I have read, softness is not a good way to judge cashmere. Not sure about Uniqlo cashmere quality being fairly good. I think, in this respect, you get what you pay for.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

Hey guys! On one of my jackets, the shoulder padding seems to be leaking through the outer fabric. Like, on the upper sleeve, I'll notice clusters of tiny white fibers collecting right outside where the padding would be. Has this happened to anyone else? This is the first time I've seen anything like this.

11. Lokesh

Lokesh Well-Known Member

I read something about stretching the fabric a bit and seeing how it snaps back or something. I don't know. Maybe I should stick to a merino one.

12. westhill

westhill Well-Known Member

Sounds like corners have been cut. Usually the shoulder pad , ie the polyester wadding is sewn into some sort of woven cover in that prevents the fluffy stuff from escaping ... trouble is if you pull one of the fibres that penetrates they are very long filaments and don't just pull out. If the problem gets worse you might have to get a tailor unpick and replace or cover the padding .

1 person likes this.
  13. Pawz

Pawz Well-Known Member

Hey.

Found an Emporio Armani SC on EBAY, but...

[​IMG]

The tag seems to suggest the jacket was made in the 70's. Wasn't Armani with Cerruti back then?

My question: is this fake or does the 'date' imply something else?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  14. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

Did emporio exist then?

15. Pawz

Pawz Well-Known Member

Nope!

I don't even think the Armani brand existed back then. :p

Thing is, I'm not sure if that's a date or (if it is) what the date pertains to.

16. AndrewST

AndrewST Well-Known Member

Hey friends,

I've got a rip in the pants on my favorite suit -- in an unfortunate location, naturally. Yeah, right on my ass. The tear is parallel to the seam but doesn't follow directly along the stitching and is about three and a half inches long.

Is this something my local tailor / dry cleaner can repair? Not at home right now so I can't upload pics of the pants.

Thanks!

17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Take it to them and ask them.

18. AndrewST

AndrewST Well-Known Member

Does this sound like a reweaving job?

19. sum1else

sum1else Member

20. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

I'm trying to pick up a cheap tie for a wedding tonight. There is one that looks nice at JC Penny, in their house brand. It's $17. Are their ties ok, I.e. will it keep looking good for a year or two? I don't want to buy it only to find it was $17 wasted for a tie I wore four times.