1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. RomanSF

RomanSF New Member

Hey all, new member here. I like wearing my Nike Fuelband and don't want to give it up. But it only shows the time when you press a button, which is too unsubtle in some situations so I want to also wear a watch sometimes, Should I wear a watch on the same wrist, or move the Fuelband to the other wrist?

2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Browns, burgundies and understated greens would be my choices.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

I wear my fitbit on my right wrist and my watch on the left. I don't think either has enough play for me to wear them on the same wrist.

4. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

The latter. The watch should be on your left wrist (if you're right handed, otherwise reverse), and the plastic thing can be moved to your other. Preferably out of sight, until you get over it. :)

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Great - thank you guys for the suggestions.

6. Noxitres

Noxitres Member

Quote[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif]:[/FONT] I dont have these boots yet. I am curious if these boots will look nice with denim or black jeans?
    [​IMG]

7. AndrewST

AndrewST Well-Known Member

Fell and slipped on concrete today and scuffed up the knees on my light-blue linen pants. The fall left two very small (but noticeable) brown stains on one of my knees. Any suggestions as to removing these stains? No relevant results when Googling "stain from calling on concrete." The stain itself could be dirt but I'm not sure.

I'm at work and haven't tried my Tide stick but if I remember right that's made more for food/drink spills.

8. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Maroon.

Give it up.

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Are linen pants considered less formal because of the wrinkles?

Would they be considered less formal that both flannel and tweed?

10. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Linen for summer, tweed for winter. Flannel is more for winter than summer, but I suppose if one lived in a climate where it worked year-round, it would be okay. Linen is relatively casual. So is tweed. Flannel works with tweed, but it will also work in a more formal context.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Denim yes, black jeans, probably not. I stick to black leather or gray sneakers with black jeans. I do wear blue suede with blue jeans, as well as khaki, brown or cream/white, as I'm doing right now.
    Depends on color and exactly what the individual pants look like, but they're on a similar level to a tweed or a flannel, sure. Linen fills a similar role, just for the opposite end of the temperature spectrum.
    It's probably just dirt. Pre treat with something like the oxy-clean spray to be safe and throw 'em in the wash as normal.

12. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Oh good! Tell us how much they are and where from, then maybe we can give some better suggestions. [​IMG]

No, blue shoes and black jeans no good. Blue shoes and blue jeans not great either. For black jeans I'd recommend black or burgundy, for blue jeans any kind of brown or beige is great, and a bright tan is awesome.

Also, if jeans are your thing, you might be better off on the "Streetwear & Denim" side of this forum (or "the Children's Section", as I like to think of it). This is "Classic Menswear", so while jeans and the like are not entirely banned (unfortunately), you will find advice leans towards a more mature and professional look. Especially from me.

On which point, there's nothing wrong with chinos as casual wear. They would meet blue suede chukkas very sweetly, in either beige or tan. And they're so much sharper than denim.

About eighty years ago, some genius invented a process for cleaning clothes with petrol. By the nineteen-thirties, they'd even found a non-flammable alternative. This magical process is commonly known as "dry cleaning", and might even be available in your town. :)

/sarcasm

Dry cleaning's better. Linen stretches and burrs easily, so scrubbing away at the knees can leave them marked. Try the solvent-based cleaning first and see how they come out.

[​IMG]

Yes, they are less formal - wrinkly or otherwise, linen is just a more casual fabric, as is cotton. I would consider it less formal than either of those things. In a sense, tweed is an equally informal cloth as traditionally it was for leisure in the country and never for the office. But in reality, tweed is very much in the workplace these days, and even worn in the evening. Linen, on the other hand, is always going to be a little bit rakish, a bit David Niven, for sundowners at the marina.

That said, I have three linen suits that I wear frequently even for formal meetings. But they are suits - three piece too, when I'm in the mood - and I live somewhere very hot.

13. GloryField

GloryField Active Member

Hi everyone, what do you think of the following outfit for internship? Both the size/fit, and the color choices? And what are some other colors that would go well with mahogany/maroon pants, white and light blue solids?

http://imgur.com/a/mHo3b

I know the shirt doesn't fit great at the waist, but it was $17 on clearance and I really liked the color/pattern, and I'll have a lab coat on for the most part anyways.

For less formal dinners, or brunch, I'd probably wear it without tie, or with a casual shirt, or with a polo shirt, or with a tee + gray denim jacket.

The pants was $36 from Express, Photographer 32/32 in mahogany
    http://www.express.com/clothing/stretch+cotton+photographer+dress+pant/pro/3832903/cat280012

The shirt is was $17 from JCP, Stafford Fitted Easy-Care Broadcloth 16/34/35 in lavender stripes
    http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/men/...l=fitted&colorizedImg=DP0510201318113304C.tif

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  14. CrimsonCoal

CrimsonCoal New Member

Hi, just a quick question, what are the recommended brands of chino's for under $70-80. Are the Kirkland Signature's still available at any of the Costco's or have they been permanently discontinued?

15. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

I wear J Crew Chino's which have a nice slim cut and decent fabric. You can usually pick them up ~$60

16. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Prior to revisiting the tailor should I get pants pressed first to make sure the pant legs are falling correctly, or just go back and rely on the eye of said professional?

Also, is it true that ordinarily to properly taper a pair of trousers both inseam and out seam needs to be taken in, otherwise, the center crease will be crooked. Hence, causing imbalance and/or fit issues in the way pant legs drape. Kind of goes back to first question.

17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Where are you interning? If it's anywhere more formal than a deli, I'd suggest the following:

- Normal business dress is still a suit, unless otherwise instructed. Also, wearing a tie without a jacket is a major Styleforum sin.

- Your tie is loud and rather slim; that's fashionable and you're young so it's fine. But it will need a sober companion.

- Such as a navy blue suit. This is the default, the suit that's never wrong. Single breasted, two button, solid dark navy. And the suit that this shirt and tie will look best with, too. "Maroon" trousers are perfectly nice, but not office wear.

- Your shirt is fine. It's not a matter of how much you spend, and later you will get better ones and you become more established. It's clean, neutral and looks like a shirt for work. When you get more, mix up the white with some light blue: it's actually more versatile: white can look a little stark with grey or charcoal suits, whereas light blue is stunning with either, and also with navy.

- You don't need to get an expensive suit. But you do need to have, at least, two cheap ones. Don't worry about the label, just make sure it fits well (but not too tight), and is preferably all wool. A wool/polyester mix will not look much different to most people, and might be OK, if a little warm.

- If you only take one piece of advice from this thread, it's this last point: wear decent shoes. Clean, polished, and well-made (welted) - regardless of price or label. They are the single most fundamental item in making you look well-dressed.

- Oh, and don't put shit in your hair. Just comb it. I don't know if that's your habit, I'm just saying.

Good luck with the internship!

P.S. Regarding accessibly-priced proper shoes, read these previous posts:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/79716/a...t-all-quick-questions-here/22605#post_6451546

http://www.styleforum.net/t/79716/a...t-all-quick-questions-here/22635#post_6453044

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  18. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Also: wear a belt.

2 people like this.
  19. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

No and no.

20. Stefan88

Stefan88 Well-Known Member

Considering getting some wholecuts in stingray. Does anyone have some color suggestions? Ever seen some in person? If so, how did it look? Would be Enzo Bonafe 3643 model. Personally I think black or dark blue would be best, but the dark green is also intriguing.

Thanks!