1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

It's an easy and incredibly common alteration. As long as there's enough fabric, your normal dry cleaners should suffice.

2. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Well-Known Member

Anyone know where I can purchase or order nice looking braided or suede belts with good quality, preferably not that very expensive?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  3. newbiephil

newbiephil Member

Hi gents, in regards to my post sorry I meant I am 18! And I do have a casual job where I do have to wear formal attire at a multinational firm.

4. ats200

ats200 Active Member

Is it in "good taste" to wear faux flower lapel pins? Would it be any more or less appropriate than a pocket square in a business setting?

This would be something worn daily and not randomly. (many people in my office seem to like to wear cufflinks a couple of days per week which just seems off to me, is it the end of their wash cycle?)

5. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I don't see any issue with a subtle PS in a business setting, or if people sometimes wear barrel cuffs and sometimes French ones (I am also in that category - a matter of mood, formality, weather, whatever).

As for flower pins, I do find them a little affected. If it has some significance, OK, otherwise I suppose it's no more or less offensive than a loud tie or a gold watch bracelet. Just one thing on significance, though: these pins can have meanings you don't realise, so choose carefully, especially depending where you work. I remember from years ago that the US Secret Service and other similar bodies used them to signify who was carrying a weapon at a given time. I've also seen them used as an identifier of status with the Freemasons. On a more general level, various flowers have been used to signify some kind of cultural or political identity or message - charities use them all the time too.

So definitely do what you want, but be sure you know what you might be communicating!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  6. ats200

ats200 Active Member

Thank you! I hadn't thought about the possible message conveyance. I know Canadians wear a red poppy for Rememberence Day (I think?) but I wouldn't have thought it would signify something like carrying a weapon. I'll have to do some research.

7. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

The red poppy is normally made of paper; I just recall some unusual little enameled pins used for other purposes.

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Calf, I think.

9. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

10. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Well-Known Member

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I was definitely wrong on the black ties. I did not know that black tie events usually refer to black bowties. I do, however, feel that novelty ties such as Vineyard Vines can add some extra color and flair to an ensemble. Same for Ferragamo, Hermes and Thomas Pink animal print ties.

11. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Well-Known Member

What's those stripes in the middle of the leg called? And what's your thoughts about wearing those "formal" pants in cotton with a casual outfit consisting of OCBD, v-neck and moccasins?
    [​IMG]

12. mountainstyle

mountainstyle Member

I will be attending a wedding in Los Angeles CA, at 5pm in late July. I purchased the BB Fitz blue linen suit

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Linen...var_MK00128_Color=NAVY&contentpos=4&cgid=0216

I'm undecided on whether to keep it.

The buttons on the suit are dark unlike the bone buttons on the website. Being the Fitzgerald cut, the lapels are more narrow and look very narrow to me, but when I measured them in comparison to a Samuelsohn sport coat, they are only 1/8" narrower and are 42% of the width of the chest panel versus 45% for the Samuelsohn.

The other option is to return the BB suit and order one from Suit Supply, either of these though I'm partial to the first one.

http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/suit...art=2&cgid=Suits&prefn1=material&prefv1=Linen

http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/suit...art=3&cgid=Suits&prefn1=material&prefv1=Linen

When I start thinking about how to wear a blue linen suit, I could roughly mimic the model on the BB website with burnished walnut AE Kenilworths, or brown AE Norwich monkstraps.

Here is the shirt I'm considering pairing with the suit, but then, what do I do for a tie? The suit is barely a different shade than my Samuelsohn charcoal suit and the shirt is a touch more vibrant in real life than the picture.

Thanks for all the feedback.

[​IMG]

13. francoamerican

francoamerican Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  14. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

That is called a "crease". It is what happens when you iron your pants properly. And those are not particularly formal pants. They are chinos (also known as khakis), which are, in the realm of menswear, fairly casual. Actually, they're at about the same level of formality as an OCBD or a pair of penny loafers, so you're good.

15. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

The patches look fine. They're very discreet being a dark color. Just leave them on and enjoy the jacket.

16. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

mountainstyle, I like the BB linen suit you linked to. If you want white MoP buttons, it should be trivial to get a tailor to replace them.

As for you shirt, I would absolutely not wear it with a suit ever, and probably not even a sport coat. Just because you have a linen suit doesn't mean you have to go crazy with the shirt.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

+1

You have a nice bright suit, no need to look a clown to be noticed. It's a fun occasion but still a formal one, so rock a hard white shirt, or very light blue, with a nice crisp semi-spread collar, perhaps go for a regimental-type striped tie to keep the fun feel, and don't forget your pocket square - a flash of solid white if you're not sure. And you can get away with brown or tan shoes and belt, as it's primarily a daytime event, and if you want that more modern look. Polish them. Properly.

The point is you want to look sharp, individual, and like you've made an effort but it didn't take too much effort, if you get what I mean. But going all-out peacock could be considered the mark of an insecure douchebag. And then where would you be? That's right, drinking alone when everyone else has left with the bridesmaids.

18. Sam Phinney

Sam Phinney New Member

Hey guys! I have a Navy Blue jacket & pants. I used to wear a white solid shirt with it, but it sadly ripped and I don't really have time/money to buy a nice new one. So, I was thinking about wearing this solid purple shirt with it. Only thing is, I don't really know what kind of tie to wear? I've got access to a lot of them, and was just thinking about some ideas for colors. Thanks!

19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

How long does it take to buy a white shirt? I mean, really. White or light blue. Until you get to level two.