1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I can't tell from your other shoes, but I do own one pair on the 26, and they are a generous fit. I'd guess a UK 10F would be very comfortable, and possibly even a 9.5. Herring are very helpful if you email them to ask.

2. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the folding on the thighs of pants is from? Example below. I wear a size 33. If I get a size 34 and get the seat and rear rise taken in, the sides are pretty clean, comparable to "02 STRAIGHT" fit below. If I get 33's (which don't really need the seat or rise taken in too much), it's got the same fold on the side as this "04 RELAXED" fit below.

How can I fix that? If you see it from the front, it makes my thighs look gigantic. I look like one of those hunters with the huge thigh pants.

[​IMG]

3. ImaPro

ImaPro Well-Known Member

4. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Blue plain suede loafers? Not sure. I got some blue suede string loafers from Carmina/Skoab..

http://skoaktiebolaget.se/news/carmina-suede-string-loafers

[​IMG]

I like them but I haven't really worn them yet. I'd suggest against it unless you've already got a vast wardrobe and know how to wear them well.

5. ImaPro

ImaPro Well-Known Member

Thank you, but Im looking for some that dont have any kind of details/stitching in the top (not sure how its called). Just plain like the ones I posted but maybe better quality.

6. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

Did you even read what I wrote? Company HR policy dictates that I wear a tie during work (Jacket is optional). Wearing a jacket as well everyday is just plain uncomfortable, especially since I commute via the metro.

...Maybe you have never tried wearing a jacket all day in hot, sticky equatorial weather.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  7. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Oh contraire, I'm very familiar with hot, sticky weather.

You asked for advice and were given advice. You didn't like the advice.

If your dress code is so strict, and you won't wear a jacket, then just accept that you're going to look bad and move on. Worrying about whether or not to wear a tie bar is like worrying about turning out the lights when your house is on fire.

FWIW, an unstructured, unlined linen jacket is pretty cool wearing.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  8. wing8tes_qw

wing8tes_qw Well-Known Member

I have white pants. The pockets show through. I'm thinking of removing them. jst wanted a second opinion.

I'm wondering if its inviting trouble ( visible/vulgar crotch and buttocks). Kinda hard to test.

removing pockets in general: good idea or always missing feel like something is missing.

thx

9. alalia

alalia New Member

10. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Have you considered some less drastic solutions first? Like, I don't know, maybe wearing white boxers under your pants?

If the pants are so transparent that this would simply leave your underwear clearly visible, well, then maybe you ought to just write off the pants in question as being fundamentally unacceptable for wearing in polite society. (In impolite society, perhaps it's less important whether your pockets, crotch, and buttocks are on display.)

11. rudals1281

rudals1281 Well-Known Member

Bought a tie that is somewhat outside of my comfort zone...meaning I don't freaking know what to do with it but I picked it up 'cus I loved it. Which combo looks the best for work? Two different suits and two different shirts but the same tie. Please go easy on me. I suck and I know it.

#1 - Navy Blue Suit, White Shirt
    [​IMG]

#2 - Blue Suit, White Shirt

[​IMG]

#3 - Blue Suit, Light Blue Shirt

[​IMG]

#4 - Navy Blue Suit, Light Blue Shirt

[​IMG]

12. 12345Michael54321

First, there's nothing obviously terrible about the tie. Grow your comfort zone a little. :)

I prefer it with the white shirt. The tie brings in enough color that there's no need for a shirt to bring in its own color as the background.

I suppose I prefer it with the darker suit, although it can be difficult to fully appreciate the subtle differences between dark blue and slightly less dark blue, via a web posted cell phone camera snap taken under imperfect lighting conditions.

1 person likes this.
  13. rudals1281

Wow, I was expecting a little tougher feedback from you LOL. I suppose you just can't go wrong with #1. I didn't like the blue shirt combo but thought I just put it up for opinions. Thanks, sir.

14. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

Ok point taken

Might do it. Would a plain navy linen / cotton odd SC do the trick. I think I'll just leave it @ my desk whenever i need it. Being unstructured may kill its formality though.....

15. 12345Michael54321

Hey, I happen to be easygoing and sensitive to other people's feelings. And I'll kill anyone who suggests otherwise.

The thing with a light blue shirt is that just because it's often a superior alternative to a white shirt, people start to thinking that it's always a better choice than white. It's not. Sometimes the blank, colorless canvas represented by a solid white shirt really is the better choice.

You know, sort of how once a person discovers that it's okay to wear brown or burgundy colored shoes with his suits, he sometimes starts thinking that these are always better choices than black shoes. Not so. Black shoes have their place, and are sometimes the best choice.

1 person likes this.
  16. rudals1281

Haha, I kid only because I got drilled in the other question with just a picture of a blue shirt. What's your take on incorporating blue shirt into a navy blue suit? I am about to just give it up because it just isn't working out for me. Now, real light blue will definitely work better than this particular blue and will give that a try.

17. diglett

diglett Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Has anyone heard of the John Lobb "Heldons" pictured here? I found them here:
    http://www.upper-shoes.com/chaussures-luxe-hommes-john-lobb/2148,64-helldon.html
    but can't find them anywhere else online.

[​IMG]

Or these unnamed (at least for me) EG boots?

Any idea where I could learn more about either pair, or other, similar tanker boots? A higher style like the Lobbs would be preferable, and ideally they'd be without a zipper, but I'll be happy for any nudges in the right direction.

18. 12345Michael54321

I won't go so far as to say it's impossible to pull off well, but it's not a combination which I tend to like all that much, so I seldom do it. With my navy suits, I typically wear solid white shirts, ecru shirts, white pinstripe shirts, various other choices. With blue pretty far down the list, and even then I prefer that the shirt be extremely pale blue. (Good rule of thumb, in any case. If you're going to wear a blue shirt with a suit, very pale blue almost always wins over medium blue.)

While blue is among my favorite colors, I figure there's already a heck of a lot of blue in the navy suit, so I needn't feel guilty over choosing not to add even more blue to the mix, via my shirt.

I'd add that neither do I much care to wear grey shirts with grey suits. And I don't recall that I've ever worn a tan shirt with a tan suit, an olive shirt with an olive suit, or a brown shirt with a brown suit.

1 person likes this.
  19. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

White shirts are wonderful with navy suits. For whatever reason, I'd wear a blue shirt with a navy blazer before I would with a navy suit. Your thoughts on that?

I also think I'd wear a light blue/white stripe shirt with a navy suit without a second thought.

20. rudals1281

Pale blue, that's what I need! I think you make a real good point that I never thought of. Grey shirt & grey suit, brown shirt & brown suit, etc totally would not makes sense so why would a blue shirt & navy blue suit work?! Yes, navy blue suit would be much darker but still. I think you hit the nail on the head. Thanks!