• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Shirt recommendations for this suit?

Options are..a solid pale lavender, white with dark blue stripes, white with light blue stripes or a medium grey.

Mario

The solid lavender or else it would be too many stripes going around

IAmCaulfield

Reaction score
I'm wondering how I could wear this tie. I don't have a suit. I'm pretty new to all of of this, but also wouldn't wear one to work. I work at a hotel and am running around doing odd things for guests, so just a shirt and tie is preferred. I'm looking for a suggestion on shoes, slacks, and shirt, as I'm pretty sure nothing I have will match this tie.

Side note: I'm 24, and like to think I dress on the trendier side, so please no grandpa outfits. Haha even though this tie would fit that well indeed.

Keoke

Reaction score
I recently got a pair of Lanvin trousers, not the ones in my signature but these here http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/lanvin-straight-leg-trouser-item-10176070.aspx Care instructions included professional dry cleaning only
In the space of two weeks I have taken them to two different dry cleaners' and now there is visible wear and discoloring around the front and back pockets and around the hem. They look like chinos almost and have lost some of their discreet and distinctively Lanvin sheen.
I complained to the drycleaner who just said I can try to wash them at home. So should I wash them by hand with gentle detergent, given that the fabric has already taken some apparently irreversible damage?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I have a charcoal suit, but a week later I am going to a wedding and I will wear the same suit, so it will look weard if I wear the same suit to the wedding and the funeral. 

My condolences on your loss.

Few people are likely to pay much attention to which suits you wear on a week-to-week basis. Just wear a different shirt and tie, and it's a total non-issue.

What about a black v-neck, black tie, white shirt, black trousers and black shoes?
I don't know where you're located. I do know that here in Maryland, it's going to be about 100 degrees tomorrow. Wearing a sweater, v-neck or otherwise, would strike me as being decidedly seasonally inappropriate.

Even if it were winter, a time of year when wearing a sweater is perfectly reasonable, I'd suggest you wear your charcoal suit. Fine, so it's old fashioned of me, but in general, putting on a somber suit for attending a funeral is a tradition I tend to support. Sure, exceptions exist - exceptions exist to pretty much all customs and traditions. But freak exceptions aside, I'd prefer attending a funeral in a suit, to attending a funeral in a sweater.

I don't have a black suit, and I am going to a funeral on Thursday.
I wear suits most days, and have for decades. Over that period of time, I've owned lots of suits, in a reasonable variety of colors. And I've never been inclined to purchase a black one.

I've never been in a situation where I didn't prefer wearing a dark grey suit, to wearing a black suit. And yes, I've attended my share of funerals. (I don't go clubbing, so I couldn't say whether that might be a freak exception to the general rule that if a black suit seems like a good choice, charcoal is likely a better choice.)
--
Michael

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My condolences on your loss.
Few people are likely to pay much attention to which suits you wear on a week-to-week basis. Just wear a different shirt and tie, and it's a total non-issue.
I don't know where you're located. I do know that here in Maryland, it's going to be about 100 degrees tomorrow. Wearing a sweater, v-neck or otherwise, would strike me as being decidedly seasonally inappropriate.
Even if it were winter, a time of year when wearing a sweater is perfectly reasonable, I'd suggest you wear your charcoal suit. Fine, so it's old fashioned of me, but in general, putting on a somber suit for attending a funeral is a tradition I tend to support. Sure, exceptions exist - exceptions exist to pretty much all customs and traditions. But freak exceptions aside, I'd prefer attending a funeral in a suit, to attending a funeral in a sweater.
I wear suits most days, and have for decades. Over that period of time, I've owned lots of suits, in a reasonable variety of colors. And I've never been inclined to purchase a black one.
I've never been in a situation where I didn't prefer wearing a dark grey suit, to wearing a black suit. And yes, I've attended my share of funerals. (I don't go clubbing, so I couldn't say whether that might be a freak exception to the general rule that if a black suit seems like a good choice, charcoal is likely a better choice.)
--
Michael

+100

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then wouldn't it have made more sense to create a "tailored only" subforum? After all, tailored is a relatively concrete definition, as opposed to "street wear" vs. "men's clothing"-- seems like given the practical overlap between formal, semi-formal, business casual, casual, and street wear, it should all be on one forum. I mean I know I'm a newbie and all, and not trying to dictate to people how to structure the forum, just expressing my frustration at a set up that makes absolutely no sense to me.
As much as you don't care for some of the responses you have been getting so far, a lot of us don't care for you coming in here as a new member and telling everyone how to reorganize the forums. If you spent a little more time here, you might understand the structure better.

LingLingGooD

Reaction score
For a 3 button suit --- is it more proper to button the top two buttons or just the middle button?

The salesman at the mens department store wasnt sure; is this just a matter of preference?

thanks

sturm07

Reaction score
For a 3 button suit --- is it more proper to button the top two buttons or just the middle button?

The salesman at the mens department store wasnt sure; is this just a matter of preference?

thanks
It depends. If you want a relax and casual look, you will only need to button the middle one since the structure will hide the top button and give you a deeper drop on the neck. If you want a more conservative and serious look, you will button the top two. You will see the big difference. It is a more serious, professional and severe look.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The coat may have an opinion. Some look ungainly with the top button buttoned; others look ungainly without. If it looks fine either way, it's up to you.

These days, many jackets have the opinion, "For the love of God, don't button any buttons...please!...it's going to pop off and take out an eye!"

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends. If you want a relax and casual look, you will only need to button the middle one since the structure will hide the top button and give you a deeper drop on the neck. If you want a more conservative and serious look, you will button the top two. You will see the big difference. It is a more serious, professional and severe look.
The 3-button suit I have doesn't really give a deeper "V" without buttoning the top button, as the structure of the suit pretty much dictates the way it hangs. Maybe this is different for other 3-button suits though.

To the OP, if the top button is rolled behind the lapel, definitely don't button it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads