1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. jeff2winit

jeff2winit Member

Never wear those black shoes with those pants, please!
    As for positive choices - I really like the light blue

1 person likes this.
  2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

A facial expression of deep shame.

Really, don't be silly.

1 person likes this.
  3. Septimus

Septimus Well-Known Member

An old-timely baseball uniform.

1 person likes this.
  4. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

This is definitely one of those "if you have to ask..." situations.

5. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I don't know that I'd call it strange; it looks like a standard quarter-brogue. I find it strange that neither AE or Alden offers one.

6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

A white OCBD, navy blazer, and penny loafers. It'd be a perfectly acceptable casual summer outfit. I've worn seersucker pants with white OCBD, navy blazer, and burgundy pennies, on a fair number of occasions, when outdoors in the summertime, in the daytime. (Bow tie, optional. And substituting dirty bucs or spectators for the pennies, or a pale pink shirt for the white one, are also possibilities.)

7. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

If you want to dress like someone who needs attention this is fine. If you want to wear something that is classic and tasteful you'll need to tone it down a but.

Not clown shoes. And not plain toe black bluchers.
    I would stay away from dark shoes- too jarring. Go for lighter shades of brown or spectators, suede players, etc. Summer classics.

The last pair of pants are the only one that I would wear- they appear to be seersucker which is again, a summer classic. I'd wear a light cotton or cotton linen mix solid shirt, either in white or some non-obstructive color, sleeves rolled-up, open collar.

Oh- and a belt.

I lived in Seattle for a total of 7 years. Not a mecca for the well dressed man.
    These pants, if paired well, will make you more stylish than 99.9% of the citizenry.

1 person likes this.
  8. AmericanGent

That was a softball, just hanging there...

I was going to say "a bag", but the seersucker might be workable. Hard to tell from this picture.

1 person likes this.
  9. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

Im getting frustrated trying to find out how to use spoiler tag when I post in mobile can someone point me in the right direction please
    thank you

10. jamezism

jamezism Active Member

What color and type of pants would go well with a black velvet blazer for a black tie event?

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  11. 12345Michael54321

No. It does not meet the traditional standard of dress described as "black tie."

I suppose it would be better than a beige jacket, or jeans and a sweater. I suppose there are black tie inspired, or creative, post-modern black tie events where it'd be just swell. But ultimately, a blazer - whether black or not, velvet or not - is not black tie, by the most widely accepted meaning of the term.

12. environs

environs Active Member

Does this look like a 3 roll 2 to you? To me it does, but I really can't be sure---

[​IMG]

13. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

But there are velvet dinner jackets.

Jamezism, tux pants. Black with a satin or grosgrain stripe down the side.

14. DjangoKill

DjangoKill New Member

Hello. Im new to this forum. Been lurking around here some time, just registered. Just wondering what these folds at the bottom of the pants are called? I live in Scandinavia and I haven't seen a lot of suits pants with these here. (Im linking too a photo posted by upr_crust)

[​IMG]

15. environs

environs Active Member

Cuffs??

16. 12345Michael54321

Are you referring to the fact that his pants are cuffed?

Cuffs at the bottom of pants legs are quite common. There are various guidelines - are the pants pleated or flat-front, are they dress or casual, are they heavyweight or lightweight, etc. - regarding whether to get pants cuffed, but often it comes down to "Do you like cuffs?" (then get cuffs), or "Do you dislike cuffs?" (in which case, don't get cuffs). There are also differences of opinion as to how wide cuffs should be.

Personally, I have all my dress pants cuffed. I usually don't get corduroys or chinos cuffed. I usually prefer a cuff width of about 1.75".

Aside from looks, cuffs can add some weight to the bottom of the pants leg, permitting the pants to hang somewhat better.

I'm just touching very superficially upon the topic. Doubtless, there are at least hundreds (perhaps more) of SF posts having to do with pant cuffs. You can google them, if you're interested.

17. DjangoKill

DjangoKill New Member

Hello. THank you for answering. The cuffs was what I was referring too, yes.

I recently bought me a new suit without cuffs. I guess there is no way to add cuffs if the pants doesn't have extra material to use? These pants fits me perfect.

18. AmericanGent

Look inside of the bottom of your pants. If there is enough extra fabric it may be possible. Your best bet is to take the pants to a tailor and ask them. Typically, dress pants come with the legs unfinished. This allows the pants to be hemmed to the exact length and, of course, cuffed.
    As always, fit is everything. Don't sacrifice fit in order to have a certain look.

19. kloss

kloss Well-Known Member

20. SnowKING

SnowKING Well-Known Member

I'm buying a wallet in ebene brown.

Does anyone know what color is Ebene brown or what it looks like?