1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. eqcitizen

eqcitizen Well-Known Member

Putting the suspenders over the epauletes might be uncomfortable while putting them through would make life difficult going to the can. To be perfectly honest, epauletes are generally for military inspired or more casual wear, and that normally goes better with belts; i do not think that the shirts were meant for suspenders. I say wear the shirt with belted pants and avoid the predicament.

2. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

If you already have a roll, then fine. The only other thing to consider is that the button hole shape and stitching may not match the other 2. Not sure if anyone would ever notice

3. eith

eith Member

The loafers not acceptable overall or just with suits??

4. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Loafers are great, just not with very formal attire. Most suits are considered formal with the exception of, say, light colored linen or cotton summer suits.

5. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Some people hold that loafers are not an appropriate choice of footwear with suits.

Other people see nothing wrong with pairing loafers with suits.

There are geographic, social, and professional aspects entering into one's position on this issue.

Moreover, there are also those people who think loafers are okay with some suits. Or on some occasions. Or that some loafers are okay, but others are not.

It is not a sufficiently straight forward question as to be reduced down to a simple rule. Nor does it lend itself to this thread, which is more or less intended for somewhat less involved sartorial questions.

It's been discussed on multiple occasions, and a Google search would undoubtedly turn up many of those discussions.

6. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Agreed--the proper question is, why are you wearing a shirt with epaulets with a suit?

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

What split-toe bluchers are they? AE?

8. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Of course it's a complicated question, but it's simply safer not to do so. In his case, the answer was obvious: look at those loafers. They're extremely casual.

9. eith

eith Member

10. eith

eith Member

11. jamezism

jamezism Active Member

I recently found an odd Ralph Lauren tie. It has a Ralph Lauren tag but the silk has Steffano Ricci brandings on it. Do other companies ever use Steffano Ricci silk for their own products? Or is it more likely someone sewed a Ralph Lauren tag onto a Steffano Ricci tie for some reason?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  12. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Look at his suit; it's not exactly a charcoal grey 3-piece, either.

An argument could plausibly be made for wearing those loafers with a somewhat casual suit, particularly in certain daytime social settings.

13. victoremque

victoremque Member

I've come to realize that the jacket and pants of my tuxedo essentially overlap at the fastening point which effectively prevents any white from showing through unless I do something ridiculous like jump up and down or happen to walk over a vent. Given that this is the case, and that I'm operating on a relatively tight budget, would it be acceptable to eschew the cummerbund?

14. Aeren

Aeren Active Member

can i replace my shirt's cuff/collar with same weave but difference super's fabric? (like 2/120 replace with 80 or 100s)

15. coupas

coupas Active Member

Guys, I need help with finding socks, here are the criteria:

1. Wool, 70% and up.
    2. OTC
    3. Patterns, argylle etc, not only one-colored or stripes (i:e not Falke or Panterella as I havn't seen any patterns on either brand, only one-color or stripes)
    4. Will ship to Sweden
    5. Quality > Price

Thanks in advance for your links to shops.

16. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

Berg & Berg only have cotton in stock at the moment, but I imagine will have wool again come the autumn. They often have patterns.

Pantherella do have patterns sometimes. I was just looking the other day and Woods of Shropshire has a couple of Pantherella merino OTCs with a herringbone pattern.

17. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

Well many people eschew it anyway: at least you are knowingly breaking the rules. I say go ahead.

18. coupas

coupas Active Member

Thanks! Hadn't seen the herringbones ones before. I placed an order!

1 person likes this.
  19. emilo

emilo Well-Known Member

Hi all,

As so many others before me, I am now in a job situation where suiting up is required once in a while. I am looking to buy one or two suits in a slim, short cut, preferably dark navy and charcoal. My budget is around 700 - 1000 USD (400 - 600 EUR). I am located in Europe (UK/DK) - so a brand available within the EU would be best.
    Could you gives please give me some tips regarding which brands are best bang for the buck?

20. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

There is a hierarchical suit list around here somewhere if you search. Best bet would be to find something on B&S for that price - as it won't go very far in retail.