1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, but it would seem like a wider shoe would fix that, unless the issue is your arch height. I'm not really qualified to field this with any authority. Maybe we can take the question over to the Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread?

2. AmericanGent

Did the shoe fit well or was it tight? If it fit well you might be able to get the opening a little closer together with a bar-lacing.

3. DAt402Dude

DAt402Dude Member

What brand of sunglasses is Landry Fields wearing in this picture? [​IMG]

4. AmericanGent

Quote:

Try posting this in Streetwear and Denim

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. pipkin42

pipkin42 New Member

I have a question about a brand called "Buttonhole." Specifically: Does anyone have any info about it. As you might imagine, Googling is a nightmare.

I bought a Harris Tweed sportcoat at a Goodwill today with this brand. The jacket is nice enough - it has working buttonholes. I suspect it's not a super-great jacket or anything, but the tweed is pretty and it fits me nicely. Mostly I'm just curious. Attached is a photo of the logo. Thanks for any help you can give!

6. JohnnyGalt

JohnnyGalt Well-Known Member

In terms of city/country and formal/informal, where would a 2 button compare to a 3 or 3 roll 2/2.5? I would assume that a 2 button would be the most formal (really just a hunch)?

7. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

The short answer to this question is that it doesn't work like that. The long answer is that button arrangement doesn't really affect formality (or where it falls on the magic Vox sliders), though there are garments that traditionally have certain types of buttoning associated with them (three buttons for a 100% traditional English hunting jacket, one button for a tux).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  8. azumi

azumi Well-Known Member

Do you think a grey herringbone jacket can go with a brown/grey tweed trousers?

9. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Grey like Harris tweed? That's really the only kind of grey herringbone that works as an odd jacket--anything else looks hopelessly like an orphan suit jacket.

10. bartleby929

bartleby929 Well-Known Member

Have one charcoal MTM suit. Going to get a second suit jacket only from Kent Wang. Go navy or something like glen plaid. If navy, a lighter navy? Pls advise

11. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Navy is fine, and lighter blue than navy is also fine, but you want to make sure the fabric has some texture to it. Glen plaid is not typically recommended for odd jackets. Make sure you choose something from a jacketing fabric book and not a suiting book.

1 person likes this.
  12. diglett

diglett Well-Known Member

I got a bit excited after my first delivery of Saphir wax, and realized that I applied it too quickly/frequently to one pair of my boots. There's slight cracking of the wax on the heel counter and the toe. Would Saphir Reno be able to "reset" this and allow me to start over with my application of the wax?

Also, to avoid this in the future, how long should I spend polishing each coat of wax, and how long should I wait for each coat to dry? I'm certain that those were my two mistakes, as I actually applied very little wax per coat.

13. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

Is there a way of ironing a tie well? I tie some strange knots sometimes just because and i often find it makes rinkles in my ties by the end of the day. I also have a fairly nasty stain in a tie, any good way of getting it out?

14. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try ironing a tie. I find the creases left by knots fall out soon enough (all my ties are stored hanging on racks except knits, which I roll). Send the stained tie to a good dry cleaner.

1 person likes this.
  15. AmericanGent

Kill 2 birds- take it to the cleaners. If it's 2 separate ties, if you must iron a tie you can either hang it and steam it with your iron to accelerate the natural process of wrinkle releasing while a garment is hanging, or for a really bad wrinkle you might use an ironing cloth and steam it a touch through the cloth. Don't use any pressure and contact the iron cloth as little as possible, just light bumps through the cloth and a little touch of steam. For a stained tie- cleaners. If you don't have a good cleaner and this is your favorite tie, look into http://tiecrafters.com/. Never used myself, but it might be an option.

I don't know if this is the best way- but I've done it and never had any problems.

16. Youngj

Youngj Well-Known Member

Houndstooth trousers with patterned shirts??
    Is it okay as long as the shirt pattern isn't tiny?

17. James Hardy

James Hardy New Member

You're creepy and weird.

18. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

It's probably an awful combination, but show me pictures and I'll tell you if I think it'd be okay.

19. sridhar3

sridhar3 Well-Known Member

+1. Aside from something simple, like vertical lines in a light/pastel color, probably not a good idea.

20. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's going to end in tears.