1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. JohnnyGalt

JohnnyGalt Well-Known Member

I'm looking at getting my first summer suit commissioned, I have a nice wool/linen 50/50 picked out in a light navy color. I was wondering if I should get the jacket fully lined or half lined? I work in NYC so some summer days can get pretty brutal and my initial impression was half lined, but after doing some research I've read conflicting reports on fully lined vs half lined especially in regards to linen/linen blends. Any help is appreciated.

2. l1mab3an

l1mab3an Well-Known Member

3. wesny

wesny Active Member

I would say half lined. NYC summers can be brutal (I would know) and with linen the most important place to be lined is the sleeves. Embrace the wrinkles in the tail, which will be there regardless, although maybe slightly less so if it is fully lined. But wrinkles are part of the wonder of linen.

4. squishmaster

squishmaster New Member

I want to know if peak lapels are acceptable on tall (6'3") heavy-set men (54L/54XL), or if I should stick with the standard notch lapels.

5. Loathing

Loathing Well-Known Member

You should buy
    fresco or somesuch
    openweave fabric
    for the hottest
    summer days
    in Manhattan;
    because linen
    (although beautiful)
    wears hotter than
    one might think.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I have three linen suits. They crease like a bitch in no time at all. Then you take the choice whether today is a day you want to look pressed and neat for an hour, or to just "embrace the wrinkles" as you put it.

I would also say half lined, although another factor is that linen, depending on type, can be quite transparent in a single layer in the light, so if you're wearing an odd jacket in a very light linen, it might look strange at the bottom when the sun catches you. Also, because of the creasing and softness, it's inherently casual. I wear my suits for all kinds of meetings, and offset the casual look by having all of them made up as three pieces, so I have the option of the inherent formality that way, albeit in a very summery look..

7. azumi

azumi Well-Known Member

Anyone know who produce Saint Crispin shoes?

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Er...St Crispin. Their factory, I believe, is in Romania. I understand it's theirs, rather than a generic supplier to different brands.

9. shimshimhae

shimshimhae Member

I was wondering if I could get someone's advice on tailoring pants.

I did search, but I couldn't seem to find a definitive answer cause my inquiry seems a bit too specific (I'm really picky :embar:)

I need some wool trousers for my internship this summer, and I had a couple questions.

I'm a really skinny asian college student, and so most of the pants I've found don't seem to fit me as slim as I want.
    I'm looking for something with a 32 in waist, 10-10.5 inch rise, 11-11.5 inch thighs, a 7-7.5 inch opening, and 100% wool under $150 a piece. I know my measurements are a little weird, specially for the waist size, but I have a naturally thick waist (bone structure I guess), even though I'm pretty lean.

I know that my measurements aren't something I can easily find, so I was planning on just buying a pair of landend's tailored fit wool pants (since they're only $70) and just getting them altered.

My question was, how much can I alter these pants before they start getting weird? Can I slim down the legs 2 inches or so and also shorten the rise by 0.5-1 inch?

Thanks for all the help!

10. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

Will taking in sides of suit jacket shorten length?

11. garsag

garsag Member

Any recommendable tailors in SoHo/Lower Manhattan area? Primarily for just hemming some pants.

12. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

Nope.

13. AE7

AE7 Well-Known Member

Does formal shirt sizing in S, M, L, XL etc. rather than 40, 41, 42 etc. imply: 1) more casualness; 2) less precision in proportions?

14. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

Shirts are sized by collar measurement and sleeve length, e.g. 16"/34". Probably best just to steer clear of anything that is measured otherwise.

15. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

+1.

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

It either signifies a manufacturer cheaping out or an informal sport shirt.

17. tben

tben Well-Known Member

Bad picture...Men's coat? Zipper on the left.
    [​IMG]

18. Aeren

Aeren Active Member

quick question:can lapel's width and gorge height be adjust on 1st fitting?

19. migo

migo Well-Known Member

anyone know where I can get a pair of shoe trees for small shoes? AE doesn't make trees that fit their own size 6 shoes.

20. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/shoe-MMCACCPRD-EN.htm?cdPrd=Embauchoirs&coloris=red_cedar

These go down to a UK 5.5. A lot of conversions make the difference between UK and US a whole number, but in my experience it's less - I think US sizes tend to incorporate more "wiggle room". Either way, these are sprung trees so might squeeze into a slightly smaller shoe. If it's really tight, then it might be best only to leave them in for a day after wearing, rather than all the time.

I use these trees myself for a lot of my shoes, as they're crazy cheap. Unpolished trees are best for removing moisture, and cedar also deodorises your shoes, and probably repels moths from your wardrobe too! Worth a try for that price anyway.