1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. NDND2012

NDND2012 Active Member

Thanks for the advice cptjeff & E,TF. Both make some good points. I've considered a linen or linen woll blend as well. I'll look into both when I finally decide to pull the trigger on a summer suit. I can see how cotton would be more casual though. I think it would be ok for most of the outdoor weddings I have been to.
    Thanks again.

2. Mark24

Mark24 Member

Thanks again for the help. What's the best kind of button up to wear under a sweater ? I mean in terms of collar. Are oxford collar's the best for that ?

3. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

You're confusing collars (button down, spread, cutaway) with cloth (Oxford cloth, end-on-end, twill).

4. Chase H

Chase H Well-Known Member

Earmuffs, hair, or a massive freaking lapel that you pop.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

And the answer is, without a tie, a button down collar, like you'd find on your typical Oxford cloth shirt (OCBD stands for Oxford Cloth Button Down, by the way, Button Down referring to the collar). With a tie, anything works.

6. azumi

azumi Well-Known Member

What type of Balmoral boots do you prefer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure whether the first (Edward Green Galway) is called Balmoral or not due to its open lacing. I just want to know which type do you like in the three types given. The significant difference is the material of the ankle part (leather, grain leather and suede). I would go for the suede but is it right that the whole leather boot is more formal than the others? And the grain leather is the most casual amid three types?

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I like the second the best out of the three. Not thrilled about the different leather on the first and the derby construction. You are right that the first boots are not balmorals.

8. AmericanLion

AmericanLion Well-Known Member

What conditioner should I use for my Allen Edmonds? I was thinking of going with the Allen Edmonds conditioner/cleaner. Any suggestions?

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Saphir Renovateur.

1 person likes this.
  10. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Saphir is somewhat the gold standard, but the AE stuff isn't bad. Much easier to find, as well...

1 person likes this.
  11. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

I use the AE stuff. It's fine and you can get free delivery right from them. Not the best in the world I'm sure, but does the job.

1 person likes this.
  12. diglett

diglett Well-Known Member

What are the differences between Saphir wax, creme, and Reno? Are there any no-nos as far as applying any of those to different leather types (calf or shell) goes? Where should I start with my shoe polishing, as someone who's only ever used AE shoe cream?

13. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

Any way to determine content of a sport coat that is unmarked? I have a coat that feels like cashmere but it is older bespoke and unmarked content.

14. dufferin1

dufferin1 Well-Known Member

As far as my experiences, the reno is used to help moisturize the shoes. I use it once every 2-3 polishes but I think some people use it even less then me. Its fantastic and will help ease the creases and re-plenish them. The creme is fantastic and is regarded as one of the best shoe cremes available. Occasionally I will add a layer of Saphir wax as well to add an extra shine. Check out "The Hanger Project" for complete product information. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  15. xxxamazexxx

xxxamazexxx Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I'm new here (even though I've been lurking for a while). Today after class I headed over to J Crew to try on a blazer which I believe was the Ludlow Wool one in 38R. The quality and construction seemed fine to me; chest, shoulders, arms, everything fitted very nicely. I just had some apprehension about the length of the blazer: it seemed a little too long, even though according to J Crew size chart I should precisely wear a 38R. Any thought on this?

[​IMG]

16. TheNightTrain

TheNightTrain Member

Prick Stitching & Pin Stripes

Normal?

Too much on the eye?

Any rules?

17. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I would avoid prick stitching, but pick stitching is fine if it is subtle.

1 person likes this.
  18. TheNightTrain

TheNightTrain Member

Thanks. I just learned BE is prick stitching (I know, I know...) and AE is pick stitching.

19. azumi

azumi Well-Known Member

Should I wear this belt with my business suit?

[​IMG]

20. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

If you've already purchased it, then no. The buckle is too casual and an even bigger problem is the obvious branding, which though never good, is in especially poor taste in business environments.

If you've not already purchased it, then don't purchase it.

Apologies for the acerbity of my tone...just....such branding really rubs me the wrong way.

1 person likes this.