1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. azumi

azumi Well-Known Member

Good evening (Because it's evening here :D)
    Today I have two question that need you to enlighten for me:
    1. Is it a compulsion to wear a tie that match a pocket square in term of colour, fabric etc?
    2. In a tropical summer, can I wear a tie with a dress shirt without a suit jacket? Does it look ludicrous?

2. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

1. Your pocket square shouldn't match anything, unless it's white linen and a white shirt. Otherwise, it should coordinate, but not match.
    2. Don't wear a tie without a jacket, you will look like either a waiter or a child. Neither is a good thing. Get some warmer weather jackets (linen, unlined open weaves, etc), and leave the tie at home if necessary.

3. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Pocket square should NOT match in color, pattern, or (ideally) texture, though the last one can be tough.
    It is not recommended to wear a tie without a jacket.

4. azumi

azumi Well-Known Member

Thank you for quickly responding, I got it :)

5. Irish

Irish Well-Known Member

I love this jacket--a 3/2 in Fox Brothers grey heather flannel. Unfortunately, the matching pants are completely sold out. Any thoughts on whether it is worth getting the jacket and wearing it orphaned with brown/black/navy trousers? I have dove grey flannel Canali trousers but they're probably not far enough away in shade to work. And I'm not sure how the flannel jacket would work with worsted pants.

Very new here, so if this isn't the thread to ask such questions I apologize. Thank you for any replies.

6. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

These are too small. The pockets give it away-

7. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

+1. Definitely don't fit.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I say return it. Worsted pants with a flannel jacket would look bad. The style is ok for an odd jacket, it is passable, however the color is very hard to pair with odd trousers. See if you can shop around at different locations for the pants, or even keep checking ebay or something to see if they pop up.

9. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Yes/no: Wool pocket square w/ worsted suit, silk tie, & white shirt?

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Wool pocket square? I don't think I have ever seen one. I think it might work, but it depends on the weave, luster, and colors of it all.

11. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

12. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

These are the two ugliest mistakes you can make in regards to fashion. I absolutely HATE these two things.

Why in the world do you have to match your pocket square like a girl? Your square should look like something you just randomly threw in there.

Some good combos:

- purple with green
    - blue with orange/yellow/pink/brown

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  13. stockholm

stockholm New Member

Hey Everyone,
    Going to US next week and I'm looking to buy a navy blue suit suitable for business. Preferably on sale and less than 500 USD. Where and what brand should I look for?

14. g-banger

g-banger Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your comments - will put up on marketplace. Im going to wait till HY gets more pants in as they fit 1000x better.

15. Andrews2023

Andrews2023 New Member

Could someone/anyone help me with a question in regards to bow ties. I'm new here so take it easy on me. Lol

Where could I get the measurement liner that is sewn into a freestyle bow tie? I want to make some bow ties for friends and family but I want to put the measure tape/liner inside. Does anyone know?

16. Chase H

Chase H Well-Known Member

What's wrong with worsted pants/ flannel jacket? I'm not doubting you; I'm just having a hard time picturing the problem.

17. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

What city in the US are you visiting? If you can find something at Brooks Brothers on sale you can get one for about $500. Avoid Mens Wearhouse at all costs.

18. Hovk

Hovk Member

Anyone familiar with how J. Crew fits?

I'm 145 lbs 6' tall and wondering whether I'm supposed to be a S o M.

19. AmericanGent

There are many variables, but it depends on your body. If you are slim and have small shoulders you could be a small, but if you have broad shoulders, a long torso, etc you might need med. If you can't decide you can buy both and return one.

20. AmericanGent

mis-post

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013