1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. m4gdelen4

m4gdelen4 Well-Known Member

I just handwashed a heavy 100% wool sweater. Laying it flat to dry, it seems to have gained a few inches in length and I'm kind of freaking out because it was almost too long to begin with.

Will it shrink back to normal? I'm guessing this happened because the sweater is so thick (the thing felt like 15 pounds completely soaked).

Thanks in advance!

2. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Well-Known Member

3. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

4. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Your jacket is raw, and should shrink after a wash. That said, you can always ask a tailor to shorten the sleeves for you.

You can get better advice if you post a picture of you wearing the jacket

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  5. WilliamBlake

WilliamBlake Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Can anyone put a name to this pattern? It is Samuelsohn flannel, if that helps in any way.
    Thanks.

Edit: the pen in the breast pocket is only for a size reference.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  6. psykon99

psykon99 Member

Hello all. It's been a long time since I've posted, though I always try to monitor the conversations here. I posted this in a standalone thread, but it seems this is probably the better place. Admins, please feel free to delete the original thread. My apologies.

I've been researching what's here trying to learn as much as I can about shrink to fit, raw, etc and I've found I'm left with a few questions.

1. On sanforized pre-shrunk jeans, how much will the waist stretch when wearing?

2 On shrink to fit (Levis 501 in particular),how much will the waist shrink when doing the initial soak in the tub?

I understand you should get your normal waist and a size or two longer in lengthiness Levis STF but my problem is, regardless of brand, I come in at a 39" waist which no one makes a size for. 40" waist jeans are a tad too big for me, though that's what I wear (in pre-shrunk) and 38 feels too tight. I used to wear lower rise to help out but that's not a solution I like. I prefer normal rise.

If I buy 38", will they stretch enough to be comfortable (in pre-shrunk)? If not, if I get STF in 40", will it shrink enough in the initial tub soak to get to 39" waist?

I would get rigid in pre-shrunk to get a quasi raw look if that's the way to go, though I'm certainly interested in making the first step into raw denim.

Thanks for your help!

7. Bortelli

Bortelli Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can get some 3/4 sleeves like uniqlos?. Seems they are out of stock

8. baggist

baggist Member

Macy's carries a few options.

Amazon has some too.

9. baggist

baggist Member

I like Nordstrom for sunglasses. They stand by their products and are good about returns.

10. WilliamBlake

WilliamBlake Active Member

Warby Parker makes good frames that, I believe, have a good warranty.

11. d810

d810 Member

Who are some designers I should be looking into if I like Stephan Schneider? In particular I think SS has really cool outerwear, but similar in other pieces works too. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  12. ahjota

ahjota Well-Known Member

Try GRP. NMWA just listed a few long-sleeve banded hem polos. (they're an SF affiliate)

13. Randy Brooks

Randy Brooks Well-Known Member

GRP?

14. wanksy

wanksy Well-Known Member

does anyone know an alternative for type 2 washed denim jacket aside from obviously levis, although they are not producing this anymore, and visvim 101? if it has side pockets, it's even better

15. boned

boned Well-Known Member

3sixteen makes a Type 2.

I like RgT's Supply Jacket myself, or Momo Type 1's.

16. masshi

masshi Well-Known Member

what are some poverty alternatives to SLP's jodhpur tan/brown suede boots?

budget is $300~$400

17. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Well, there's Story et Fall - I think most buyers are relatively happy for the price?

There's some CM options that dip into that price range on sale... Loake, Herring, etc. Maybe Carmina 2nd hand.

1 person likes this.
  18. wanksy

wanksy Well-Known Member

yeah but those are not washed, i'm tired of wearing raw jacket, it bleeds to my shirts and it requires patience and dedication which I do not have [​IMG]

another question i have in mind:
    does anyone know how's the sizing on cdg play shirt? i wear size 1 on tb oxford. thinking on getting the small?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  19. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

In addition to that, RM Williams Macquarie boot on a screwed sole would look the most similar. Aussie dollar is weak ATM and can be bought for less than 300 US.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.