1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

I may be the wrong person to comment here, because unfortunately I've never been in an actual Uniqlo brick & mortar, but they don't advertise any suits or suit separates on their page. They do have a number of odd jackets thoug, and for quality and fit, my money is on Uniqlo, hands down.

2. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

Just go to uniqlo and get some slim tapereds or two in some dark colors, a couple oxford buttondowns, and some simple footwear like white converse
    (Note:^this is a quite boring wardrobe, but will none the less look presentable and better than the majority if the stuff fits you right)

1 person likes this.
  3. Sonderist

Sonderist Well-Known Member

I'm looking to expand my wardrobe with some more buttondowns and since I'm sticking to eBay to save on costs, I need some advice on sizing. My favorite fitting shirts right now are Jack Spade which for whatever reason just fit every contour of my body perfectly (size Medium), and if anyone could give me proportional sizes for Band of Outsiders, Gitman Vintage, Epaulet and Wings + Horns to a Jack Spade medium I'd really appreciate it.

4. cmathews95

cmathews95 New Member

I'm planning on wearing a black suit+white shirt+black tie. I'm a beginner when it comes to dressing nice and would love some advice on what I shouldn't/ should wear. I'm planning on a slim fit white shirt with cuffs and a tie that leans to the skinny side. Any tips?

5. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Or you could just look up the measurements for those brands on their respective sites? Ain't nobody got time for Jack Spade shirts.

What are you trying to wear a black suit/white shirt/black tie to? Unless you're going to a funeral or working at a restaurant, this is probably a bad look (since I'm guessing this won't be a fashion cut suit a la Saint Laurent or Margiela or whatever).

1 person likes this.
  6. cmathews95

cmathews95 New Member

its a prom. My suit fits much better than any tux i tried in my budget so i'm pretty set on that.

7. Roscius

Roscius Well-Known Member

Maybe try a bow tie, add a pocket square. Stress less

8. cmathews95

cmathews95 New Member

haha. ok roscius. I'll try one. If I do get a black tie though, should i worry about the shade or material? I mean, would it look better if it was shinier or more dull cotton looking?

9. Roscius

Roscius Well-Known Member

I think the fabric and fit of the suit is important for that question. Though the classic menswear section of styleforum would provide you with much more detailed answers.

10. Sonderist

Sonderist Well-Known Member

I was checking mostly because I've read a lot about the sizing being really inconsistent, so I was wondering if anyone had a decent idea of what would be a safe comparison. I have researched measurements, but especially for Band of Outsiders the site numbers differ drastically from what people have described the sizing to be.

11. ambyance

ambyance Well-Known Member

anyone have any idea where i can find this?
    [​IMG]
    its bbs

12. volatile

volatile Well-Known Member

That image is originally from Atelier New York (http://ateliernewyork.com/category/guidi/ - Google Image Search is your friend) but they've long since sold out. Keep trawling the classifieds, son.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  13. jbill118

jbill118 Member

I really need some advice on casual sneakers that I could wear, preferably white ones, to college parties, bars, class, casually, etc (I'm at an expensive college so people dress pretty nice). Or are sneakers not the way to go in that instance? I also have wide feet so it's hard to find stylish and comfortable shoes for such an occasion. Also could use some advice on some summer shorts..I've always worn cargo shorts (I know) and just realized that I've kind of outgrown them age-wise. Chinos? If so where is a cheap place to buy them? Thanks guys!

14. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

just go uniqlo and get some jeans/chinos in the slim tapered fit+ some oxfords, wear with some white converse

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. ShoutOutsFoMyBo

ShoutOutsFoMyBo Well-Known Member

16. boned

boned Well-Known Member

I know this has been asked a million times, but if a 44 in GATs fit me perfect, what am I in CP achilles lows? Slightly wide foot, keep guessing back and forth between 43 and 44.

FWIW, I have a pair of CP Training Boots from last season in 43, that were quite snug but stretched out to comfort. Now idea how that model compares to the achilles low, however.

17. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Definitely 44. Achilles run narrow, so 43 may fit length wise but will be too narrow. I wear the same size GATs as you.

1 person likes this.
  18. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Well-Known Member

has anyone tried Hugh & Crye's dress shirts? i'm looking for something with a sturdier collar for tie-wearing and theirs look like they might actually fit me OTR.

19. orlais

orlais Well-Known Member

Any cheaper alternatives to this? Don't really fancy paying $670 for it but love the design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. asr1927

asr1927 New Member

Hi guys,

Ive got a bit of a dilemma. I really LOVE this jacket http://akindofguise.com/product/campione-parka-camel/ from A Kind of Guise, its just...the colour. I dont like it and they dont have the nylon Campione Parka in navy, just the one with 100% cotton and I need something that protects against the rain. So, what Im looking for is this kind of nylon parka just that it should be in navy or maybe khaki. Any suggestions?