• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
I just bought a Hickey Freeman sports shirt on sale that originally retailed for $125. While I liked the fit and the design enough, I started having second thought about the shirt's quality after noticing the double needle stitching along the sleeves.

I have no difficulty wearing a nice shirt with double needle seams, but honestly I expected better from both the brand and the retail price. What are your thoughts on this?

Beastmode101

Reaction score
How much breaking in does a pair of raw denim require before one should consider pairing it with a blazer/sports coat? I'm afraid my raw denim haven't been broken in long enough so they may bleed when I wear a non blue jacket

K2793

Reaction score
Looking to pick up my first pair of unsanforized. I'm advised to buy a size up but I want to make sure that's right. How much does the waist shrink after soaking? I don't care about inseam because I will be hemming to 30" afterwards. And besides the waist, do the other parts of the jeans shrink, if so by how much? I am referring to the thigh, knee, and leg.

After the waist shrinks, it will still stretch an inch or so after wearing right? So technically wouldn't I just need to buy my correct size and not size up by one. (My true waist is a 30 and the 30 tag size has a 31.5" waist. The 31 tag size has a 32.5" waist)

For soaking, is the best way to do hot water and lie the denim inside out in the tub? What is the ideal amount of time to leave them there soaking. And lastly, do I put them on afterwards while still wet at all, or do I just put them on a hanger and line dry?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks Timbaland,

what color chinos are most versatile and not loud/bright colors?
i already have beige and dark gray chinos, but i dont think they look suitable with the striped and check shirts, when compared to wearing denim jeans with them
- not too keen on the very common tan color chinos

any other trousers besides chinos and jeans a good item to own / wear with these casual shirts?

also besides the dark brown boat shoes, what footwear is suitable?
thank you

Olive chinos and maybe some faded blue. I'd wear only jeans and chinos with your casual shirts.

For footwear you can look at boots. Both work boots and combat boots should be fine.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking to pick up my first pair of unsanforized. I'm advised to buy a size up but I want to make sure that's right. How much does the waist shrink after soaking? I don't care about inseam because I will be hemming to 30" afterwards. And besides the waist, do the other parts of the jeans shrink, if so by how much? I am referring to the thigh, knee, and leg.

After the waist shrinks, it will still stretch an inch or so after wearing right? So technically wouldn't I just need to buy my correct size and not size up by one. (My true waist is a 30 and the 30 tag size has a 31.5" waist. The 31 tag size has a 32.5" waist)

For soaking, is the best way to do hot water and lie the denim inside out in the tub? What is the ideal amount of time to leave them there soaking. And lastly, do I put them on afterwards while still wet at all, or do I just put them on a hanger and line dry?

I think you can generally expect around 5% or so for shrinking. So that would be over 1.5" for jeans with a waist of 32.5". Expect everywhere else to shrink accordingly. If you get the jeans tight fitting to begin with, you will want to sit in the tub wearing the jeans when you do the soak. I let the jeans air dry after.

K2793

Reaction score
I think you can generally expect around 5% or so for shrinking. So that would be over 1.5" for jeans with a waist of 32.5". Expect everywhere else to shrink accordingly. If you get the jeans tight fitting to begin with, you will want to sit in the tub wearing the jeans when you do the soak. I let the jeans air dry after.

Thanks, I guess I will sit in the tub with them on them. What temperature water would you recommend and how long to stay in the tub with them?

Also, should I expect all the areas to restretch after wearing them for a while post soak, or is the waist probably the only thing that will stretch back to normal size before soak?

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much breaking in does a pair of raw denim require before one should consider pairing it with a blazer/sports coat? I'm afraid my raw denim haven't been broken in long enough so they may bleed when I wear a non blue jacket
If you're worried about bleeding you should probably wait until after your first wash, but it depends on the denim. I'd throw on a jacket you don't care about and see how it looks after an active day.
+1 for the tub soak. FWIW, I sized up 2" in my Flat Heads.

kashmir

Reaction score
http://surrenderous.com/media/catal.../l/classic_shirt_bd_stripe_special_blue_1.jpg

this kitsune x surrender oxford is very nice but at ~300+ USD it's far beyond my budget for the moment. any idea if there are other makers doing similar design with not so high a pricing?

edit: pics added

Last edited:

bik2101

Reaction score
Not sure that raw denim ever stops bleeding. I have jeans I've been wearing for almost a year and they still bleed onto my wallet, belts, shoes.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought some Florsheims at a rummage sale and they need to be resoled. They have like a rubber pad in the middle of the sole and the heel is rubber. Has anyone ever seen this? I wasn't sure if I can just take them to get the pads replaced or what. I might just get a whole new sole put on, I don't know yet.

What are advantages/disadvantages to different types of soles? Was gonna go with leather but I Know those wear fast.

Anyone?

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure that raw denim ever stops bleeding. I have jeans I've been wearing for almost a year and they still bleed onto my wallet, belts, shoes. 

+1, and around 5% overall shirking.

Last edited:

drtchock

Reaction score

Can anyone identify this shirt? Its a white button down collar shirt with a blue stripe, has a contrast material under the cuffs as you can see on the photograph. The guy wearing the shirt usually wears a lot of Rag & Bone, A.P.C, Acne, Undercover and Margiela if that helps, it will be from this or last season. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Glory Daze

Reaction score
Bought a pair of 32 Imperial Shearers and the fit is similar to that of when it's done stretching and shrinking around the waist area.. For reference I have a 2 year old pair of 30 APC NS's that fit the same way in the waist.

I understand that the Imperials are sanforized, so soaking would give it minimal shrinkage.. ideas? Wash, or wrong size?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone identify this shirt? Its a white button down collar shirt with a blue stripe, has a contrast material under the cuffs as you can see on the photograph. The guy wearing the shirt usually wears a lot of Rag & Bone, A.P.C, Acne, Undercover and Margiela if that helps, it will be from this or last season. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Besides the contrast under the cuff, it looks like any ole' blue university stripe OCBD.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads