• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some Florsheims at a rummage sale and they need to be resoled. They have like a rubber pad in the middle of the sole and the heel is rubber. Has anyone ever seen this? I wasn't sure if I can just take them to get the pads replaced or what. I might just get a whole new sole put on, I don't know yet.

What are advantages/disadvantages to different types of soles? Was gonna go with leather but I Know those wear fast.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to buy some black boots. Either lace ups or side zips. 

Something in the shade of black similar to this picture.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/164384/lightbox/post/6134202/id/688523

Can anyone help me out?

those boots are the H&MxMMM black sidezips, looks like he's rubbed the finish off though, as they're bit lighter colored when new. You could probably still find a pair cheap if you have an H&M store near you, otherwise theres a few on ebay for not unreasonable prices.

apart from that, I can't think of anything in a similar shade of dark grey. Moma has some 'steel grey' lace ups on yoox, but they just look black to me.

http://www.yoox.com/uk/44477663CO/item?dept=men#sts=sr_men80&cod10=44477663XN&sizeId=

Last edited:

rublev

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good / interesting raincoat for spring, preferably something oversized (in the right places), and preferably in navy/blue. I've always quite liked the Ervell raincoats for that season but the shoulder button things have always put me off (and the price). So maybe something similar to that. Or completely different, i don't care - i'm just lost for ideas. I want to start experimenting with a different silhouette this spring and summer. Something with loose proportions but nothing serious - still fun (??). I've always been a bit a standard / boring when the weather has got warmer but i've already got my hands on some slightly cropped linen trousers, some oversized t shirts as well as some 3 eyelet 1461 docs etc. Throw ideas my way if you have them. Thanks.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it would be hard to find the black H&MMM in store at this point. Best bet is ebay if you have to have that exact boot.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some cheapish t-shirts. Not for stuntin' but for loungin', gymwear, etc. Long, narrow body; kind of like Silent Damir Domas tees, but not $70 a piece. Any ideas?

jimney

Reaction score
I'm looking for some cheapish t-shirts. Not for stuntin' but for loungin', gymwear, etc. Long, narrow body; kind of like Silent Damir Domas tees, but not $70 a piece. Any ideas?
I've gotten some v-necks from American Apparel that fit that description.

pbdeng4

Reaction score
I've gotten some v-necks from American Apparel that fit that description.

but seriously, I think Cotton On has even cheaper v-necks (I remember paying like 7 bucks for them), same with H&M if you want some dirt cheap v-necks in mute and interesting colors. One of them that I wore a bit more often started pilling a lot sooner than I expected but I guess that's what you get for the price.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I get what you're saying but in the past, I tried to wear a sport coat and dress shirt and was SERIOUSLY overdressed for these events. I'm still trying to dress as well as possible within the framework of what others will be wearing. That's why I came here, to do what they THINK they are doing but to do it right, I hope.
It was just an image I grabbed off the net because my own shirt has that bird logo on the front. :slayer:

It's my favorite of all the Orioles logos ever.

BTW...
This is me doing SW&D

Why not just wear this to the company event?

I'm not a fan of the jacket you posted earlier. When I dress down I usually just wear a plain fitted tee with slim straight jeans and sneakers with a sweater or jacket if its colder.

honza

Reaction score
Shirt, sweater and short torso

Hello, I have this constant issue with having a very short torso in proportion to my legs (and very high waist). My height is normal, 5'11". Wearing any shirt tucked in looks pretty odd, unless I'm wearing a jacket as well. My normal day wear (workwear, I'm a researcher ;)) is jeans/chinos and a heavier informal/semi formal shirt, usually M&S, untucked. However when I go outside in the cooler parts of the year, or when it's really cold inside I wear a V-neck sweater (heavy or light, according to the temperature) over my shirt. This, of course, poses a problem, as untucked shirt with a sweater over it looks bad and if I tuck my shirt in (e.g. when going for lunch) I cannot untuck it aftwerwards, since it is already wrinkled at the bottom. Any solution to my conundrum?

adamt

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a small collection of six casual shirts, which i wear with denim jeans and dark brown boat shoes
only for casual social situations, e.g. the pubs/bars, shops, restaurants, cinema, etc
Suited for a 26 year old man.

So looking at my six casual shirts. what other colors/styles would be a good addition for what i wear them with/for?

- Also, besides denim jeans, what would be a suitable pair of bottoms/trousers to wear with these shirts?
i have 4 shades of blue denim, but was hoping there were other trousers that suit these shirts , also besides creme chinos

thanks

Gray flannel shirt

Green/white vertical stripes

Red flannel shirt

Light Blue/white vertical stripes

White shirt

Navy blue/white check shirt

Last edited:

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would get some oxford shirts (in white and blue) and maybe a chambray shirt, Go for solid colored stuff.

For pants, just get chinos in a versatile color. Like a shade of blue other than electric. Also you don't need that many pairs of jeans. I would get 1 pair of black and 1 pair of grey denim.

Questionnaire

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a slim fitting black ma-1 bomber jacket for <$200? Everyone says the Uniqlo one sucks and the alpha industries reissued doesn't come in black...

adamt

Reaction score
thanks Timbaland,

what color chinos are most versatile and not loud/bright colors?
i already have beige and dark gray chinos, but i dont think they look suitable with the striped and check shirts, when compared to wearing denim jeans with them
- not too keen on the very common tan color chinos

any other trousers besides chinos and jeans a good item to own / wear with these casual shirts?

also besides the dark brown boat shoes, what footwear is suitable?
thank you

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads