1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Kensington

Kensington Well-Known Member

Nice, I'm surprised you're comfortable wearing tweed when your location says you live in FL! That's such a neutral color I'm wondering why you're concerned. I'd wear it with other neutral, muted, or earth tones and nothing colorful.

2. Olimar

Olimar Member

Going out to a semi-formal dinner with the family tonight. I was thinking Black wingtip shoes, Charcoal wool pants, white OCBD, and black wool peacoat. No tie seeing as I wont be wearing a jacket.

Asking for Suggestions. For instance should i go white dress shirt, or stick with the OCBD. Or should I go blue dress shirt instead of the white.

3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

OCBD is fine. No "fun socks" please.

4. sholom

sholom Well-Known Member

Anyone know where I can get a belt with a hidden fastening so you just see the leather without seeing any metal buckle? I know margiela makes them but they are out of my price range.

5. Strak

Strak Member

Hi,

Is there someone with a good suggestion for a suede blucher? I really like the style of the Alden plain toe blucher (see below), but sadly enough I can not say the same about the price. The maximum that I would like to spend is about 300$.

[​IMG]

Greetings!

6. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

Thanks - I bought them knowing they may only see regular wear during a short time of the year but I really like heavier wools for their drape and texture vs. paper-thin tropical weight. I do go from A/C apt. to A/C car to A/C office and back the same way a lot of days so their warmth isn't hugely prohibitive.

I guess I was also thinking about what shade brown shoes/belt. Is it more common to go darker than the brown of the pants, or does tan work as well?

7. Kensington

What time of year do you wear them? Does anyone ever do a double-take? Sorry I'm giving you a lot of questions when you came looking for answers. Haha. I just considered moving to FL at some point but I was saddened by the idea of having to give up all my tweed stuff and knitwear.

I think you could go either way since they're both neutral. However since tweed is generally warn in colder areas and times of year I think the tendency is to go darker in general and might look a bit better.

8. Brian278

Well, winter, which here is really just a sum total of the coldest days smattered across a few months. It was a gorgeous, breezy, clear-skyed and sunny 75 degrees today (the reason we all tolerate the long, humid summers), but still too warm to be comfortable outside in these. Haven't had the chance to have them hemmed yet so they haven't actually seen active duty yet, but I'm hoping to have them ready for a truly "cold" day (which for us means overcast with a high in the 50s) where I can pair them with a navy sweater and take a long walk for lunch and be perfectly comfortable. I suppose heavier tweed is fairly rare but not unheard of down here, again because with garages at home and work and a white collar profession you can get through most weekdays spending precious little time outdoors.

Appreciate your thoughts.

9. bingo

bingo Member

Any suggestions on Ivory color blazers that cost less than $150? Event is semi-formal and I will be wearing blazer+jeans. I don't wear blazers at all usually so I don't want to splurge a lot of money on what could possibly be used just one time. thanks

10. bingo

bingo Member

Lol.. you are right.. I tried on a black shirt with that blazer and it did look fugly.. thanks!

11. Poncho1992

Poncho1992 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can find a long cardigan similar to this one?

http://www.lyst.com/clothing/zara-long-mohair-cardigan-navy/

I basically want that style and colour, but for it to be made out of better materials. Any help would be great, even if it's just like "You should check out brand X, they do that sort of shit". Looked through knitwear threads and couldn't find much relating to longer cardigans.

12. loarbmhs

loarbmhs Well-Known Member

No problem. Glad you came to your senses before the wedding!

13. Brian278

http://www.hm.com/us/product/22219?article=22219-A

14. thonez

thonez Well-Known Member

Will 16.5" arms at bicep fit in Wings + Horns XL buttondowns? Other measurements seem spot on.

15. tiestyle

tiestyle New Member

16. personone

personone Active Member

1. Can a man's neck size change by becoming more muscular (like an inch on the shoulders)?

2. Casual twill pants vs. regular khaki pants- can I wear unpleated khakis with a denim jacket?

17. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

18. Phil0886

Phil0886 New Member

Hi, this is my first time posting here so hopefully Im in the right place. I didn't think it would be necessary to begin a new thread for this.

My question is regarding acceptable clothing to wear the shoes like this. Now i'm not very sure what everyone's opinion in on Cole Haan, I haven't t noticed much mention at all on here. Anyway, I like them and they are very comfortable and I get a good deal on them. I work in a pretty casual environment (typical outfits I see around are sperrys, jeans/chinos, polo/t-shirt/untucked button-ups). I move around a lot from inside to outside so comfort is key as is staying cool (its very warm where I live).

I quite like these three pairs (minus the pink laces in the first), but was wondering if it would be acceptable to wear these with jeans and a t-shirt. I like to wear slim raw jeans (usually wearing 3sixteen st100x) and plain v-neck or crew T-shirts (white/black/grey). Now i suppose these are about as casual as wing-tips get so what are your thoughts? I'd appreciate any feedback.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Tesh

Tesh Member

when you buy jeans and they have creases in them that make them look good for example:
    [​IMG]

Then when you wash them the creases go away. How do you bring those creases back?
    I've tried ironing and stayed as long as possible before I burned them but no luck.

20. Kensington

Creasing the jeans and then ironing them doesn't work? This video shows you how it's done: I've a actually encountered some jeans that held the creases even after washing. They're might be some that have a special process or fabric that retains the creases.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014