1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Unsanforized

Unsanforized Active Member

I can understand your frustration, but my guess is the mark will darken over time, while the rest of the shoe will become more worn-looking. The two areas should equalize somewhat.

2. Unsanforized

Does anyone know of NYC stockists with a variety of Filson and Pendleton stuff? I've found a couple of pieces at Paragon Sports and Orvis, but little variety. Thanks.

3. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Well-Known Member

Are you guys kidding me? This is easy—saphir renovateur and medaille d'or, and then kiwi. And then Snoseal if you need to darken it more. It will be fine.

4. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Well-Known Member

Can someone show me an example of a cheap/low quality leather belt back vs one that is higher quality. I'm having a lot of trouble here..

5. Gatsbee

Gatsbee Well-Known Member

Anywhere online to buy Geller denim at decent prices? Blackbird sucks.

6. Alphataru

Alphataru Well-Known Member

Can anyone suggest a decent place in Manhattan where I can get some pants hemmed?

Also, how much does it usually cost for something like that?

7. daghoi

daghoi Member

First post, have not lurked much.

I'm planning to upgrade from a backpack to a briefcase, nice messenger. To carry my pc to work. Hoping to spend less than usd 600,- (can strecht if I come by something that really speaks to me).
    Leather, black, dark brown, during winter I use a black wool coat, otherwise dress business causal, work as an IT engineer. Appreciate if someone can give me a couple of suggestions, or brand to look at. I have been at the Saddleback web site, suspect they are a little heavy and a bit to much "details" going on, also slightly more than i wish to pay, but no far from what I want.

Hope to get a few suggestions to work from.

thanks.. .. .

8. Unsanforized

To the backpack-to-briefcase person @daghoi: Filson. Check their web site.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. tcwalter07

tcwalter07 Well-Known Member

I second this.

10. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Well-Known Member

You might not see a difference in a picture on a computer screen but a high quality belt will have much nicer leather, precise stitching and better hardware (solid buckle). If you handle one, you should notice the overall superiority of the materials and craftsmanship.

11. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

just saphir it (or any other polishing cream) and brush it, it should slightly blend in and look better

12. ToledoStyle

ToledoStyle Well-Known Member

Hey does anyone know where a guy can buy (online) some nice Denim hangers? I know they don't sell any specific ones for it but nice ones that work well with denim lol

13. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

Why are you hanging your denim?

14. ToledoStyle

ToledoStyle Well-Known Member

I have like 15 pairs of quality Raws I like to cycle through. Granted too much to get a lot of use out of but I enjoy certain pairs once and awhile. Wanted a good way to store them.

15. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

Fold them. They won't get creases unless you iron them after folding and they won't fade unless you're rubbing them together. If you're really concerned about creases, fold the legs up at the knee, fold the waist over, then fold in half. And if you're really stuck on hangars, just get something cheap because it won't really matter (though you may actually get more fading with hangars)

16. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]

worn with a grey suit and black captoe

appropriate?

17. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Where are you wearing the suit to? Pocket square looks too spring/summer for this time of the year, and I don't think they would go well with black shoes.

18. gettoasty

formal/informal occasions. trying to get my MC on.

mainly not sure what to pair the tie with as I think the tie itself can lend to a grey suit and black shoes. want to find a less subtle PS for the match.

19. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Formal/informal? That doesn't answer much. I wouldn't wear a knit tie to a formal event, especially a skinny one. When in doubt, go with a white pocket square.

Unlike most MCers who will say that a pair of black plaintoes are a must, I really think black oxfords and bluchers are hard to coordinate. I have one just to have one, only wore it 3-4 times just to break in the leather sole.

I've never been a fan of loud pocket squares, most of mines are in one color with minimal pattern/design. The loudest one I have is a purple silk in paisley pattern. I wear that casually with no tie.

From the posts I've seen of yours when I'm browsing the board, it seems you want to have a SW&D side and a MC side as well. This is pretty much where I'm at. One side I have ToJ leathers, and the other I have TaT suits. One side is for Alden shoes, the other is for MMM/Lanvin sneakers.

Not to knock on you, but pace yourself. I feel like you're only buying the cheapest items you can find and 'fill up' your wardrobe as fast as possible. This is where I was at about 2 years ago and regretted it severely. Most of the stuff I got for cheap, I rarely wore if at all. I understand some pieces cost money, just save up.

20. gettoasty

I am very trigger happy right now, looking for stuff to buy.

My wardrobe actually shrank a lot after I graduated university. Now trying to slowly build it back up. I actually do not own any real SW&D clothes anymore, majority of my wardrobe being MC with MTM shirts.

ATM, i just want to coordinate some ties+PS and save up for other things.

Was actually considering buying another suit, but I want to maximize my utility of my current grey suit before experimenting with another.

And I currently only own 2 pairs of dress shoes both being black. Thinking about picking up some AE Strands in walnut, or saving up for some boots. I actually much prefer boots to lowcut shoes in general.

Basically, trying to get some last minute basics to round out my current wardrobe and then halt the shopping a bit.

I appreciate your help and honesty!