1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask a Fitness Model

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Noir., Jan 16, 2009.

1. jaydc7

jaydc7 Well-Known Member

^When travelling, and the bathroom door has three hinges, I do pull ups holding the top of the door somtimes. I'm sure it looks awkward as hell but it works (kinda). I usually just bring my rings with me and can throw them over a tree/playground for pull ups and dips.

I was taking Solgar vitamins but I eat a pretty strict diet and I think I get most of the nutrients I need, so after not seeing any performance difference when I ran out, stopped taking them.

Also, I would never do p90x after seeing their infomercials. I want to throw a weight at the hosts face.

2. munna

munna Member

Liquids or powdered vitamins are almost always preferrable.

do you have any brands you suggest? Also, where can u find them? I've always had a hard time finding locally

thnx

3. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Well-Known Member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    Edit: I think I've had this before but as far as supplement priority I typically recommend:
    [Whey > Vitamin > Casein > Glutamine > BCAA (leaning)] = Creatine (bulking) > . . . > NO boosters

Supps in brackets are what I take year-round. Some people love NO boosters; they haven't done much for me in the past and I'd rather settle for a redline. Vitamin means a good vitamin ~ sports vitamins typically. Centrum, one-a-day, mega-men, etc. are NOT good vitamins. Unfortunately I'd put Animal Pak's in here too - the problem with all of the ones listed is the hard coating on the pills. Limits absorption because you can't really break it down. Liquids or powdered vitamins are almost always preferrable.

Mutivitamins tend to be a waste of money, not that I don't still take them, but I don't buy the fancy, expensive kind any more. I get the same effect from the $3.99 Target brand... expensive pee.

I agree with your supplement list but I'd throw in fish oil and joint stuff. I'd also move Glutamine further down. I've never had any noticeable effects from it... kinda expensive too.

As for Creatine, the newer varies aren't bad, I've taken them with very good results. The thing is, some are too potent for a weak stomach.

NO supplements aren't bad either but they are not all created equally. I use a combo supplement like NO Explode or NO Shotgun and it's not bad at all.

Animal makes in interesting combo pack of Multivitamins, NO, Creatine, stimulants and a bunch of other stuff. They sent me a sample and I thought I was going to die towards the end of my workout.... and I'm the guy that doesn't think twice about popping an Adderall and then working out. That shit is nuts!

Not a bad program. I don't really like the diet it comes with, and the supplements were absolute trash iirc. I have the whole set somewhere at home. Very decent cardio program for someone trying to trim up.

I don't think it's all that hardcore... the chest / back routine was a bit more difficult than I was expecting, but the others were quite tame (I guess it's all relative to your fitness level, but I think if you can do the chest/back routine you can do the whole program). It's cardio-minded which is perfect for a lot of people. I do think it's a great program for someone trying to get into shape though, and as a home program it's particularly nice. I hate the host though ~ he annoys me to no end.

I've only used the Cardio, Kempo, Yoga and Stretching programs. They're great when I don't have time to go to the gym and I find them pretty hardcore. I'm hurting after but it's a good hurt. I can't speak for the other DVD's, supplements or diet program.

4. turbozed

turbozed Well-Known Member

1. Mutivitamins tend to be a waste of money, not that I don't still take them, but I don't buy the fancy, expensive kind any more. I get the same effect from the $3.99 Target brand... expensive pee.

I agree with your supplement list but I'd throw in fish oil and joint stuff. I'd also move Glutamine further down. I've never had any noticeable effects from it... kinda expensive too.

2. As for Creatine, the newer varies aren't bad, I've taken them with very good results. The thing is, some are too potent for a weak stomach.

3. NO supplements aren't bad either but they are not all created equally. I use a combo supplement like NO Explode or NO Shotgun and it's not bad at all.

1. Multivitamins are not all created equally. Certain vitamins are more bioavailable in specific forms. Magnesium oxide, for example, is less bioavailable than citrate, malate, or aspartate. Quality multivitamins will have quality sources. Unfortunately, you're not supposed to 'feel' the effects of a multi so you won't notice the difference between a good and a mediocre multi (except for my multi that has ZMA and gives me crazy vivid dreams). In any case it's just insurance for your diet (which should be providing your vitamins in the first place).

2. Creatine mono might give some people gastrointestinal distress, but I think it's mostly due to supplement companies advising people to 'load' creatine and take ridiculous amounts like 20g a day. Studies have shown that this provides no benefits in the long run. After a couple weeks of taking lower doses (smaller than 5g) your body is saturated and you don't need any more. 5g is the most any human being would need to take daily. You get a good dose in the meats you eat anyway. Cycling is unnecessary.

3. NO supplements have been proven to be a scam among most respected sports nutritionists. Here's an article explaining it in more depth than I can: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...inine_scam&cr=

5. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Well-Known Member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    1. Multivitamins are not all created equally. Certain vitamins are more bioavailable in specific forms. Magnesium oxide, for example, is less bioavailable than citrate, malate, or aspartate. Quality multivitamins will have quality sources. Unfortunately, you're not supposed to 'feel' the effects of a multi so you won't notice the difference between a good and a mediocre multi (except for my multi that has ZMA and gives me crazy vivid dreams). In any case it's just insurance for your diet (which should be providing your vitamins in the first place).

You're correct, I should clarify. There are the natural whole source types of Multi's (some not in pill form) that are quite good, in fact. They do get expensive though and you need to take a lot of it.

6. Noir.

Noir. Well-Known Member

I was taking Solgar vitamins but I eat a pretty strict diet and I think I get most of the nutrients I need, so after not seeing any performance difference when I ran out, stopped taking them.

Also, I would never do p90x after seeing their infomercials. I want to throw a weight at the hosts face.

Performance differences with a vitamin aren't typically huge. Regardless, I'd wager the majority of people don't eat a full variety of foods to get all of their nutrients. I know I don't, ESPECIALLY when dieting. Surely health is worth something...

do you have any brands you suggest? Also, where can u find them? I've always had a hard time finding locally

thnx

I liked Sport Formula, but I take a liquid now. If you can't find a decent liquid or powdered vitamin (or caps, just not pills), PM me and I'll forward you the info for the place I used to work & you can give them a call and have it shipped. Don't want to shill in the thread though.

Mutivitamins tend to be a waste of money, not that I don't still take them, but I don't buy the fancy, expensive kind any more. I get the same effect from the $3.99 Target brand... expensive pee.

As for Creatine, the newer varies aren't bad, I've taken them with very good results. The thing is, some are too potent for a weak stomach.

NO supplements aren't bad either but they are not all created equally. I use a combo supplement like NO Explode or NO Shotgun and it's not bad at all.

Animal makes in interesting combo pack of Multivitamins, NO, Creatine, stimulants and a bunch of other stuff. They sent me a sample and I thought I was going to die towards the end of my workout.... and I'm the guy that doesn't think twice about popping an Adderall and then working out. That shit is nuts!

multi's aren't a waste. bad ones are though. There's a list somewhere ranking vitamins on a scale from 0-100, with 80+ being "good". For reference, mega-men scored a 20 and I believe animal pak's scored in the mid-high 20s but don't quote me on that (few months ago, memory is fuzzy). There were 3 with a 95+, all pharma grade, but I believe you can buy them from the interwebz.

Newer creatines are supposed to be easier on the stomach. kre-alkalyne is buffered to "break down in the muscle tissue, not the stomach", and CEE has the ethyl-esters that supposedly keep it and breaks it down in the fat cells IIRC. I've tried both and they were in fact easier on my stomach, but still didn't like how I felt and results were sub-par for the cost for me.

I don't and never will like NO products. Some people swear by them and wouldn't work out without them. More power to them, I used to sell them all the time. I'd rather buy more BCAAs <3

2. Creatine mono might give some people gastrointestinal distress, but I think it's mostly due to supplement companies advising people to 'load' creatine and take ridiculous amounts like 20g a day. Studies have shown that this provides no benefits in the long run. After a couple weeks of taking lower doses (smaller than 5g) your body is saturated and you don't need any more. 5g is the most any human being would need to take daily. You get a good dose in the meats you eat anyway. Cycling is unnecessary.

thought the bolded needed to be reiterated. and ZMA gives me crazy dreams too.

Re. creatine loading: yeah imo it's a farce. I do have people take a lot of mono though, basically throughout (it's cheap and you'll piss it out. Fine if no GI distress imo). Often the loading schemes have people in excess of 40-50g/day though, which, like you said, is ridiculous. It is found in meats, but you'd need a lot. I think I read somewhere you'd have to eat ~22 pounds per day to keep it supersaturated. Also agree on cycling, or lack of.

You're correct, I should clarify. There are the natural whole source types of Multi's (some not in pill form) that are quite good, in fact. They do get expensive though and you need to take a lot of it.

Good multi's are great.

Talked to the girlfriend. She has to travel next week for a few days {she does fitness modeling and is far, far more successful than I am} and I asked her what she usually does/packs:

*Hotel gyms for a quick run or some weights if they have it
    *elastic bands to prep and have blood flow to the muscles
    *if all else fails, get a day pass to a gym close by!!

She also brought up a good point when i mentioned not liking to run and she said "if the results aren't worth it, just don't do it." i.e. do it anyway if you want the results. But it doesn't have to be running. You can find your preferred form of cardio and just do it if it makes life more interesting. Biking, running, swimming, jump rope, etc. Or have a perfect diet I guess and not do cardio - but a perfect diet + add'l exercise will yield results that much better/faster.

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Well-Known Member

multi's aren't a waste. bad ones are though. There's a list somewhere ranking vitamins on a scale from 0-100, with 80+ being "good". For reference, mega-men scored a 20 and I believe animal pak's scored in the mid-high 20s but don't quote me on that (few months ago, memory is fuzzy). There were 3 with a 95+, all pharma grade, but I believe you can buy them from the interwebz.

Here's one guide. Scroll down for a complete listing of vitamins and ratings.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/405307/Multivitamin-Guide

Disappointing to see how low the ones I've been taking are ranked.

8. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Well-Known Member

Here's one guide. Scroll down for a complete listing of vitamins and ratings.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/405307/Multivitamin-Guide

Disappointing to see how low the ones I've been taking are ranked.

Has the comparative study in the link been independently verified, and are the key authors/proponents of the study impartial with no financial stakes in any of the companies involved? I am always skeptical about studies like this where certain high-priced direct-to-buyer products are advertised as dramatically superior to off-the-shelf products. Perhaps they are, but I would love to see some comparative studies that perhaps have been published in peer-reviewed journals.

9. turbozed

turbozed Well-Known Member

Has the comparative study in the link been independently verified, and are the key authors/proponents of the study impartial with no financial stakes in any of the companies involved? I am always skeptical about studies like this where certain high-priced direct-to-buyer products are advertised as dramatically superior to off-the-shelf products. Perhaps they are, but I would love to see some comparative studies that perhaps have been published in peer-reviewed journals.

I felt the same. It's especially fishy when the #1 rated multivitamin is also, and only slightly, the cheapest of the 8 'recommendable' vitamins. It's fishy that they even listed prices at all. Basically, the conclusion is 'buy this specific product.' It feels more like an advertisement.

10. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

So I posted a week, maybe week and a half ago, that I had trouble recovering from having run a 5k on two consecutive days. I was noticing pain that felt localized to the socket in the hip of my right leg. It tended to go away after I was awake a few hours so figured it wasn't anything. I lifted on that a couple days and ran again, then it hurt worse.

Went to the doctor basically just seeking an anti inflammatory other than Ibuprofen. Doctor wiggled my leg around, checked my reflexes, and decided it wasn't much of anything. That was another half week ago, though, and it still hurts, if not more, and I'm taking quite a few Ibuprofen. Doctor said I could take 4x 200mg's 4x / day. I'm not taking that many.

Anyway, I was cutting my lawn when it dawned on me when I injured it. I had gone to dodge a puddle and put my right leg on a inclined down and towards me embankment. My ankle gave way to the incline. The incline was up and away, my ankle rolled out, not in. Whatever that most frequently does, I think I did it.

Pulled groin, maybe? Any ideas what is most likely, what I can do to treat, and likely recovery period?

I was just about to start Stronglifts 5x5, but I think squats and dead lifts are out. What should I do with this injury?

11. Noir.

Noir. Well-Known Member

re: vitamins. *shrug* I don't take any of the listed ones. Just remembered seeing a study some time ago.

re: injury:
    I've never had to deal with injured parties per se and always referred them to either a PT or physician. This would again be my recommendation {physical therapist would be your best bet. If you're near a college town go see the ones that deal with the athletes}.

I can't get a visual of what happened from the description, but I doubt it's a pulled groin. I've had a mild strain in mine before and I found it incredibly difficult to walk, much less anything else. It was a more localized pain that felt acute when pressure was applied.

Don't do movements that may exacerbate the injury. Find out what it is first, do what's necessary to treat it, and work your way back into the exercises. Don't go overboard on the ibuprofen or it will screw with your stomach lining, but i don't see any reason not to up it to 4x200 x4 on dr.'s orders, but of course it's your own judgement call.

I'll be a bit MIA in the coming week or two, but will get to the thread and any questions when I can.

12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

Been getting gear together to do Stronglifts 5x5 in my garage and have been able to start it up [​IMG] I do not yet have my power rack put together, but came across the front squat section of the Stronglifts 5x5 site.

Can the front squat really entirely replace back squats? I don't care if a back squat let's me lift "more"... I want results, not #'s. Thanks!

13. robertorex

robertorex Well-Known Member

front squats i think will get you reasonably strong if you do only them.

14. why

why Well-Known Member

Can the front squat really entirely replace back squats?

Yes.

15. YoungM

YoungM Well-Known Member

So, I'm a highschool swimmer, so I'm up at 6:00 and out the door, and have to eat breakfast at school. I'm currently 6' and 190lbs, and trying to slim down a bit- reccomendations for breakfast stuff thats easy to bring, and still palateable. I usually drink a chocolate milk, but thats just not enough. Is chocolate milk as a whole a bad idea?

16. why

why Well-Known Member

So, I'm a highschool swimmer, so I'm up at 6:00 and out the door, and have to eat breakfast at school. I'm currently 6' and 190lbs, and trying to slim down a bit- reccomendations for breakfast stuff thats easy to bring, and still palateable. I usually drink a chocolate milk, but thats just not enough. Is chocolate milk as a whole a bad idea?

Why do you need to eat breakfast?

17. jaydc7

jaydc7 Well-Known Member

I would have a bit of oatmeal and some nuts before I went to morning practice for crew. After practice I'd eat a real meal. Also I don't think milk is a great idea, but I'm also lactose intolerant...

18. robertorex

robertorex Well-Known Member

Why do you need to eat breakfast?

+1 the pre workout snack/meal especially with carbs is a myth. If you want to slim down, just skip breakfast and save yourself 300-600 calories.

19. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

what kind of training do people who don;t need food to fuel their training do?

20. why

why Well-Known Member

what kind of training do people who don;t need food to fuel their training do?

You mean 'what kind of training do people who don't need breakfast to fuel their training do?' There's a very marked difference.