1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Art

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SoCal2NYC, Jun 15, 2007.

1. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Of the same general period as John Singer Sargent...

Frank Benson: [​IMG]

2. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I was but a man; now I'm an artist.

3. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

I just broke my fiances natalia fabia chandelier.
    I need to get her something to replace it. I want something graphic or possibly a photo, as most of our art is abstract/expressive right now.

Can anyone suggest a primitive/neo/folk print maker as well as a modern photographer similar to mcginley but not as expensive? Or maybe a site similar to iconoclast editions?

500$ +/- is the range

Thanks!

4. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

CSBh: When getting quotes from moving companies the lady was telling me there was a form for listing items that were over $100 per pound in value. She then asked me if I had any Thomas Kinkade art work, as this would be the place to make note of it. [​IMG]

6. mordecai

7. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I formerly liked your taste.

8. mordecai

I formerly liked your taste.
    I actually hate Murakami, but there is something kind of funny about him using those retarded images present in every single one of his paintings as part of an ad for google. There is no artist or image in the art world for which the word is more appropriate. Don't know if that is intentional or self aware.

9. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

10. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

My girlfriend had a Murakami book. He had a show in LA a few years that I went to. I remember in the book they had a pic of that sculpture he made; a blond anime guy ejaculating into the air. I always assumed that was a figurine. It was quite intimidating to walk into the show, then realizing the ejaculating man was a 9 foot tall statue that would tower over you.

11. mordecai

5 recent skull pieces by different artists at Blum & Poe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

13. driveslowk

driveslowk Well-Known Member

14. mordecai

hah. that is such architects art. little designy for my taste but cool nonetheless. she's pretty.

15. mordecai

16. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I spent an hour-and-a-half this morning in the epicenter of contemporary art in the United States -- Chelsea. Chelsea has more blue-chip galleries in one block than most major cities. A few observations:

1. A lot of the art is really big, befitting the industrial loft environs.

2. The attitude of the gallery staff is one of benign neglect. I rarely got a "hi," much less a "how can I help you?" Maybe you get treated differently if you look like you have a roman numeral after your last name.

3. Most galleries do not publish prices on the list of artworks at the front desk, unless the prices are in the low five figures and below. If you have to ask, you can't afford it!

4. The Gagosian Gallery lived up to its reputation. The space is huge and it is currently showing a MOMA-quality Picasso exhibit. As might be expected of a free museum show in NYC, it attracted quite a crowd.

17. mordecai

If you want something in a gallery, you have to ask for it. The assumption isn't that visitors are there to shop, so they aren't going to bug people who walk in off the street with trying to make a sale. In my experience the "important" people aren't often bugged either. I saw Drew Barrymore cop some major attitude because some gallery girls weren't fussing over her. They don't scoff at people who can't afford everything in a gallery, it's just tacky to post prices because it makes the value of artwork seem too tied to the price, when many visitors are there just to see the art. Galleries usually try to avoid seeming like a retail space. There's a price list for those who ask.

18. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Piob Jr. - Would you consider a gallery that posts prices to be "lower class"? I was at a jazz/art event on the avenue tonight and all the galleries had prices posted. Some over $10k. I thought all of it looked like shit but that's just me.

19. mordecai

20. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Well-Known Member

10k could be considered low range but it really depends on the kind of art. if by low class you mean totally unestablished artists, could be, I wouldn't use a pejorative like that though.

ambulance, sometimes you walk into galleries and it feels cold or snooty. Generally though if you speak to people, you'll find most are fairly amicable. Depends on the gallery. Where'd you go? I intern at 2 contrmporary Chelsea galleries, one fairly large, the other specialized and small but very focused...