• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I am shocked at how beautiful it is. I had no idea that it would be such an aesthetic success.

He's a talented craftsman that's for sure but I find him more thematic than conceptual and frankly, for want or a better word, hard to connect with. I'm obviously alone in this considering the level of praise he's been getting.

I'm glad to see the love for minimalism in this thread, quite unexpected. Another fun find was comparing the lists of Socal2NYC (some sort of ludical and sexually ambiguous version of childhood and adolescence I guess) and GetSmart (surprisingly harsh and unrelenting, artists that make strong statements about the world they live in), considering they share a lot of the same sartorial interests.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Would it be art to buy it, decompose it into its pieces, sell the materials and diamonds for their market value and exhibit the remaining artistic intention (i.e. invisible, thin air) for a price of £36 million?

Do it live in front of an audience and it's a happening, film it and sell it and it's video art. Do it after having come out naked of the bloody carcass of a cow and it's contemporary chinese art. I'll pm you with my contact info, I think you're a promising young artist and will happily represent you, you're a drug addict or can become one if needs be, can you?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I like the Last Supper works by Hirst.

eh35019.jpg

HG_Hirstbg.jpg

Jean-Georges' restaurant Chamber's Kitchen has several hanging all around.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Do it live in front of an audience and it's a happening, film it and sell it and it's video art. Do it after having come out naked of the bloody carcass of a cow and it's contemporary chinese art. I'll pm you with my contact info, I think you're a promising young artist and will happily represent you, you're a drug addict or can become one if needs be, can you?
If need be... Thanks for believing in me and offering to represent. Will you loan me the £50m to buy the skull I need for my video happening? Or should I go straight to Mr Saatchi?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
If need be... Thanks for believing in me and offering to represent. Will you loan me the £50m to buy the skull I need for my video happening? Or should I go straight to Mr Saatchi?

Saatchi isn't representing Hirst anymore (I think they parted ways), we'll raise your profile by having you smash some Duchamp, I hear it works quite well...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He's a talented craftsman that's for sure but I find him more thematic than conceptual and frankly, for want or a better word, hard to connect with. I'm obviously alone in this considering the level of praise he's been getting. I'm glad to see the love for minimalism in this thread, quite unexpected. Another fun find was comparing the lists of Socal2NYC (some sort of ludical and sexually ambiguous version of childhood and adolescence I guess) and GetSmart (surprisingly harsh and unrelenting, artists that make strong statements about the world they live in), considering they share a lot of the same sartorial interests.
I agree with you in some ways about Hirst. For just a few seconds we thought about a Butterfly "painting" of his, but the version that we could reasonably afford was not large enough to really display the power of that series. Of artists in a similar vein, I much prefer Maurizio Cattelan.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saatchi isn't representing Hirst anymore (I think they parted ways)
Even better - I meant Saatchi as a potential financier for me, new budding and promising artist, not Saatchi as Hirst's backer

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Even better - I meant Saatchi as a potential financier for me, new budding and promising artist, not Saatchi as Hirst's backer

hahaha, now all we need to do is erase any record of you having formal training unless you were doing badly enough that it will actually give you some credibility.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I truly liked Gary Hume's figurative paintings in the mid-to-late 90's. For some reason, I was very moved by his sensitivity when I saw his art in vivo. Not anymore though

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Hirst product labels are cool.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I agree with you in some ways about Hirst. For just a few seconds we thought about a Butterfly "painting" of his, but the version that we could reasonably afford was not large enough to really display the power of that series.

Of artists in a similar vein, I much prefer Maurizio Cattelan.

I confess I didn't remember who he was (yeah I know, that's like looking up Kandinsky) and had to look him up (crushed pope guy). I also favour him over Hirst as he's more frank about what he's going for; which is often artistically complex, post-modern puns, from what I know of him.

BTW here's a little something I read while searching for his name on wikipedia:
"In 2000 he persuaded his gallerist Emmanuel Perrotin to spend a month dressed as a giant pink phallus."

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am shocked at how beautiful it is. I had no idea that it would be such an aesthetic success.

The piece was made by Bentley and Skinner, the same company that produced England's Imperial State Crown.

Would it be art to buy it, decompose it into its pieces, sell the materials and diamonds for their market value and exhibit the remaining artistic intention (i.e. invisible, thin air) for a price of £36 million?

A diamond dealer was quoted as saying that the world market went up around 15% because of the amount of diamonds used in the Hirst piece. Pretty wild if true.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I confess I didn't remember who he was (yeah I know, that's like looking up Kandinsky) and had to look him up (crushed pope guy). I also favour him over Hirst as he's more frank about what he's going for; which is often artistically complex, post-modern puns, from what I know of him.

BTW here's a little something I read while searching for his name on wikipedia:
"In 2000 he persuaded his gallerist Emmanuel Perrotin to spend a month dressed as a giant pink phallus."

My favorite of his:
cattelan.jpg
Also, his incredible installation in Milan's public gardens:
cattelan.jpg

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203 Would it be art to buy it, decompose it into its pieces, sell the materials and diamonds for their market value and exhibit the remaining artistic intention (i.e. invisible, thin air) for a price of £36 million?

You two need a good auction house to pull that stunt off. Just mentioning.
smile.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike

You two need a good auction house to pull that stunt off. Just mentioning.
smile.gif

Are you trying to call our process insincere? Cashing up on art you don't believe in and generally acting like a crass bore is now okay as long as you do it under the umbrella of postmodernism. We'll be in touch, we were thinking about auctioning the work before they're actually done, sayin the auctioning is part of the artist's creative process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads