1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Art

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SoCal2NYC, Jun 15, 2007.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

2. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

^ love those. There's a great book, now out of print on artwork made in a German asylum during the Weimar years. One of the patients made art very similar to Opalka's. If you scrutinize the work there's one number that was obviously done much angrier than the others. Apparently the artist's hand slipped at number 21,071 or something and he almost killed himself over the frustration.

3. mordecai

4. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Show that kid who is boss: [​IMG] Then it is time to go wife-tossing [​IMG]

5. mordecai

After 3 weeks I got to pick up my Anthony Goicolea "Double Dare" print [​IMG]
    whoa, was just browsing through the earlier pages of this thread and saw this. my friend has one of these prints on his wall.

6. mordecai

We now own a piece by this artist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did he start at 1 and work up? Is there a significance to the numbers or to the number that he finished with?

8. StephenHero

It's a continuous work. He's going from one to infinity. After each canvas, he adds 1% more white to his background wash and he estimates that by the time he gets to 7.7 million or so that he'll be painting white on white.

9. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

It's a continuous work. He's going from one to infinity. After each canvas, he adds 1% more white to his background wash and he estimates that by the time he gets to 7.7 million or so that he'll be painting white on white.

[​IMG]

10. mordecai

I agree with a lot of this, but I guess what surprised me was your preference for any conceptual or non-representational art work. I mean your qualifiers are kind of arbitrary, right? A hop back and most of your list is pointless pretentious crap (as most people on the board seem to think),
    [​IMG]
    Toldjaso I think it's great, conceptually and aesthetically.

11. StephenHero

[​IMG]
    I like it for a couple reasons. 1) It's got a great texture. 2) Holistically, it's abstract, but it's also representational without being figurative. The texture of the painting comes directly from the process of repetitive reloading of the brush, so it leaves a truthful documentation and atmospheric effect without relying on arbitrary gestural techniques of the "inspired" hands of artist like Pollock/Gorky/etc which emphasizes the insignificance of the artist. 3) It's a work of mundane dedication and a poignant display of universal values like work, persistence, human insignificance, memory, and death. Very profound. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Well-Known Member

don't remember if it was mentioned but a while back people were arguing about a McCracken piece. Had no idea the dude died a few weeks ago, wtf?

13. driveslowk

driveslowk Well-Known Member

I like it a lot, especially the variation in each block of numbers.

14. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

don't remember if it was mentioned but a while back people were arguing about a McCracken piece. Had no idea the dude died a few weeks ago, wtf?
    Wow. I hadn't heard about that. I really like his planks. I didn't know he was into UFOs and ETs. Thought he was more of a West Coast car culture "finish fetishist". NYT obit.

15. somethingclever

somethingclever Well-Known Member

I really appreciate the revival of Russian Constructivism that is hitting the market. Was not terribly crazy about the Malevich show at the 68th St. Gagosian Gallery, I know of a few Tatlins being loaned to an upcoming show at Tony Shafrazi's gallery downtown- I would highly recommend going to check them out. The history behind Tatlin's Tower, one of the pieces being loaned, is quite interesting: Wikipedia Image

16. toothsomesound

a lot of Russian constructivism is fascinating, malevich is somnambulant.

17. driveslowk

driveslowk Well-Known Member

Tatlin's Tower is insane, shame it was never built.

18. mordecai

Revolutionary era Russian artists were great, until Stalin's regime started murdering them.
    a lot of Russian constructivism is fascinating, malevich is somnambulant.
    Are artists the only ones who benefit from your hyperbole? I'm curious if you ever say things like Idi Amin Dada was overrated, or that the Teapot Dome Scandal was a snoozefest?

19. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Revolutionary era Russian artists were great, until Stalin's regime started murdering them.

Are artists the only ones who benefit from your hyperbole? I'm curious if you ever say things like Idi Amin Dada was overrated, or that the Teapot Dome Scandal was a snoozefest?

[​IMG]

20. toothsomesound

lol. you hardly question the ridiculous childish shit stephenhero says. :shrug: