1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Arrow Moccasins

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by DocHunter, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Harbin

Harbin Well-Known Member

Do you size TTS with these?

2. crimpologist

crimpologist Well-Known Member

Do you size TTS with these?

Yes, I find they are true to size.

Also, for anyone curious about the double leather soles. I have the ring boot with the double leather sole. I applied Sno-Seal on them and have since worn them lots in the city and on trail hikes over the past year and a bit. The sole has held up very well. Just yesterday I cleaned the bottoms to re-apply Sno-Seal and noticed, considering I have walked through all types of terrain and weather in these, there are only light scuffs where my heels hit. Sno-Seal works great on these in keeping moisture out, though they can be a slippery on certain surfaces on wet days.

3. miran

miran Well-Known Member

Why is this brand considerably cheaper (>$100 cheaper) than the competitors' moccasins of comparable style?

4. crimpologist

crimpologist Well-Known Member

Here are some photos of my ring boots after about 15 months of wear. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. prurient

prurient Well-Known Member

Why is this brand considerably cheaper (>$100 cheaper) than the competitors' moccasins of comparable style?

I think there's just 1 guy behind Arrow, so he doesn't have particularly high expenses. I placed a "special order" and he only charged me $10 bucks more than the the advertised price. I know he sells to Japan quite a bit, so in theory he should realize that the shoes he has been making for x years are now kewl. Dunno, maybe he's just a honest guy that doesn't wanna go from $140 to $240 for no specific reason (beside popularity) like Quoddy.

BTW, nice new Arrow x Nepenthes. I have the brown ones with the double leather sole and they are great.

[​IMG]

6. Harbin

Harbin Well-Known Member

^ nice, I ordered a pair like that without the rings/straps

7. pronxs

pronxs Well-Known Member

do i have to call or email them to order? i am not in the US. i tried emailing them but no reply yet.

8. prurient

prurient Well-Known Member

Really nice article on Arrow: http://anaffordablewardrobe.blogspot...moccasins.html Makes sense for him to keep the prices low when he sells mostly to re-enactment fairs buffs. pronxs, you place the order online. Then they call you and ask for money. Not sure about them making international calls thou'.

9. pronxs

pronxs Well-Known Member

^thanks prurient.

any international peeps have any idea how much is the total cost (inc shipping) for a pair of moccs?

thanks

10. Joe E Taleo

Joe E Taleo Well-Known Member

Really nice article on Arrow:
    http://anaffordablewardrobe.blogspot...moccasins.html

Makes sense for him to keep the prices low when he sells mostly to re-enactment fairs buffs.

pronxs, you place the order online. Then they call you and ask for money. Not sure about them making international calls thou'.

Great article, Thanks.

11. Ned Netterville

Ned Netterville New Member

I read the book "Born to Run" last year, took off my shoes for the health of my feet and legs and haven't looked back. I tried Vibram barefoot-technology, five-finger shoes, but found that Moccasins are much better and are closer to going barefoot. Bought a couple of pairs of Indian-made moccasins, which were made of soft leather. They were great, almost like being barefoot, but they wore out in just a few months. Then I found these Arrow Moccasins. I wear them every day and after 5 months it looks like they will last for years. They are everything the company represented them to be. I rarely endorse a product, but this is one I am happy to recommend. As far as I'm concerned, adding a sole would detract from these moccasins.

12. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Is an unlined Arrow Moccasin a good idea for like a dorm slipper to wear sockless? I currently have a pair of fleece lined LL Bean Slippers and everytime I wear them sockless my feet just sweat a lot. I wear Vans and Converse a lot sockless and have never really had a problem.

13. MartinLil

MartinLil Well-Known Member

Ned Netterville, the Arrow Mocs, like any modern shoes, will not allow your toes to properly splay. If you're into the barefoot thing (I'm a barefoot runner that regularly does half and full marathons in Luna Sandals) then you may want to consider the lack of splay these shoes allow. If you just like the barefoot feel and don't mind that the shape of your foot is greatly altered by even mocs, then I suppose these fit your purpose well.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  14. Najee D.

Najee D. Well-Known Member

Our Arrow Moccasin stock FINALLY came in store. We went the the Lace Up Boot in Black leather w/crepe sole. Ordered pretty conservatively considering Chicago is usually a bit late to try new things. However, these have been doing fairly well. I've got a few more sizes left, HERE:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. polarcreamsoda

polarcreamsoda Well-Known Member

i bought a pair of arrow mocs ring boots right from the store in hudson in size 9.5 , unfortunately they are a bit too big for me. anyone interested in taking them off my hands? worn maybe 5 times.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  16. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Well-Known Member

Just got my mocs in today. Ordered them about 2 1/2 weeks ago and was told they would take about 6 weeks but they were just delivered today. Gonna sno-seal them up tonight and break them in over the holiday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  17. kojnglsmith

kojnglsmith Active Member

Just got the two eyed tie mocs with double soles..anyone have experience with how these hold up in snow/salt/general winter conditions?They look tough and I treated them with Obenauf's but don't want to wreck them...

18. Narwhale

Narwhale Well-Known Member

Anyone have definitive sizing advice? I wear 7.5 in Red Wing GTs, 8 in Clarks DBs.

19. sahbryant

sahbryant Well-Known Member

i wear a 9D in Alden Plaza, a 9 in chuck taylors, and a 9.5 in arrow

20. mcawber

mcawber New Member

Arrow is Cheaper because they have little overhead and basically sell wholesale.
    A few years ago, before the "made in america" "trend", Kevin and Kirsten Shorey
    were selling quoddy bluchers for $60 a pair (I bought 3 pairs at the time). At the
    time, they were only able to stay in business because they were ONLY selling
    volume in Japan, they had to raise their prices because their big customers asked
    them to. So, actually, they raised their prices not because they were greedy,
    but because they didn't want to bite the hand that was feeding them. Luckily, for them
    JCrew and all the "Made in USA" hipsters caught on, and it seems they are doing
    pretty well for themselves. I would imagine they don't make much more than the $60
    per pair on their exports, and on the JCrew sales, but I guess the volume helped them
    to save quite a few jobs. As I understood it, When Sebago went offshore to DR for all
    their handsewns, Quoddy took over their shop, and employed many of their workers....

It's not that I don't feel your pain though. Two years ago, I got a "Pointer Brand" hickory stripe
    chore coat for $29. A few months ago, the price jumped to $64.
    This year, Colombiaknit factory store raised their prices on cobblecloth crew necks from $23.50
    to $50.00. I'd say we have hipster collaborations to thank for these price jumps, but I can't really
    blame them. They are just doing what they have to to survive, and if more consumers were
    responsible about buying "local" and refusing to buy Levis, Sebago, LL Bean, etc. when they went offshore,
    "buying American" wouldn't be a luxury, it would be reality, and there would be more than just a handful of workers
    still producing in America, and they would actually be able to afford the goods they produced.

Sorry for the rant!