1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Are you white and do you shop at the GAP?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, Jun 15, 2006.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Not to worry Doc, I'm reffering to some seasonal clothes, perhaps four years ago. hideous color combinations put together...no swipe intended on your purchase.

I didn't really think you were. And I agree the Gap comes up with some odd/ugly designs. Lately, I've noticed that it seems to be offering more and more near-copies of items at sister store Banana Republic.

2. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

Like he said.

It's all about how you mix and match.

Didn't Sharon Stone wear a Gap t-shirt to the Oscars one year?

3. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Skalogre, my local store just got the blue in a week or so ago. You might check back if you're interested. I liked how they looked on the Web site, and liked them even better in person. It's rare I'll pay retail for ON stuff, but I went ahead and got one at full price.

Hmm... I bought a white one for my brother and a brown one for myself week before last; there were no blue ones. I will check again though. Thanks!

4. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

White and I don't shop at the Gap. I might own 3 of their tee-shirts.

Holdfast, aren't all psychologists closet statisticians? Oops...there goes the thread down that slippery slope. I've just given an entire group "special" attributes.[​IMG]

5. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I'm about as white as can be, and I used to shop at the GAP, but don't really anymore. I'm not opposed, but I prefer JCrew or BR where I will buy odds and ends on deep clearance. BR's boxers, for example, are great, socks can be okay. I have several old GAP polos and a few other things that I do wear all along. Today around the house I wore an old pair of GAP khakis I paid less than $10 for about 4 years ago.

6. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

is there a real corelation between being white and gap? the times i've been in gap i saw a very mixed ethnicity. i believe asians in particular like gap.

and so racial stereotyping continues... [​IMG]

7. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

and so racial stereotyping continues... [​IMG]

I'll tell you though...one time I went into "Against All Odds" because it was the only store that had a particular baseball cap (yeah, yeah, whatever) that I wanted and it was quite a trip.

8. acidboy

I'll tell you though...one time I went into "Against All Odds" because it was the only store that had a particular baseball cap (yeah, yeah, whatever) that I wanted and it was quite a trip.

uhm, what's "against all odds"?

9. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

uhm, what's "against all odds"?

It's an urban hip-hop kind of store. What Gap, A&F and Banana Republic are to white people, Against all Odds is to black people.

10. Roy Biggins

Roy Biggins Well-Known Member

I'm white, and I shop at the Gap for jeans. Their original boot cut jeans (women's) fit great, and are always on sale for like $30, sometimes less. Everything in the men's section is made extremely big/really shapeless, I think. For about the same prices with better fitting and better looking clothes, I prefer Benetton.

Along with Banana Republic (and maybe Old Navy?), they have great deals in the sale section.

I've also never noticed the thing with white people and the Gap before, but now that I think about it, I think of white dads wearing USA themed Gap shirts and hoodies.

11. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

I guess I don't get it and maybe my irony software is not working right, but it seems that Gap and race is at best a spurious correlation. Gap is not fashionable, it's not low price, it's not special. It's by design tasteless and bland--meant to offend no one and arouse no one. It's a concept that may have passed it sell-by date.
    http://whatareyouwearingtoday.blogspot.com/

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

It seems a very yuppie suburbanite sort of brand.

13. acidboy

It's an urban hip-hop kind of store. What Gap, A&F and Banana Republic are to white people, Against all Odds is to black people.

ok. thanks. thats the first time i've heard of that establishment. i guess we asians has it going for gap because of its very nice line of junior sizes. [​IMG] ok i have to stop this.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Sounds like the answer to an SAT question.
    Er, or at least the kind of questions they had on the SAT 20+ years ago . . .

Analogies.