1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Are you a complete package?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lee_44106, Oct 10, 2006.

1. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

If I could buy a slightly used luxury apartment at Goodwill, I would.

2. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Well-Known Member

I consider myself well-rounded. Everything in my life is upper-moderate [​IMG]

3. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

I hope nobody honestly answers 'yes' to this question.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I wear jeans. hoodies and sneakers, am underpaid or not well paid, depending on who you ask, live in a rental, and don't know how to drive. And my bike needs some repairs after the last wipeout. So yes, I am the complete package. [​IMG]

5. josepidal

josepidal Well-Known Member

I am a college student in living in a dorm broom closet and living off instant noodles in order to fund my clothing habit.

6. LARon

LARon Well-Known Member

In a word: yes.

What he said (but its been a long time coming and a hard road to boot -- all one step at a time).

7. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

I love what I do, and I don't feel like I'm wasting my life.
    That goes a long way in my opinion.

'nuff said. well done dp. i feel the same exact way.

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

Seems to me most of the responders are at least at a comfortable station in life. We all seem to share a disproportionate attraction to fine clothes and some of their higher costs, but hey, that why we belong on this forum [​IMG]

Personally I love fine things in life, but I've learned to bargain hunt and buy quality. I have a car that gets me to places, a roof over my head, and am not starving for food. Once in a while I splurge on a jacket or that damn fine pair of Crockett&Jones. I do not let material possessions define who I am. Family (wife and kids) comes first.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I have no regrets.

10. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

i am inclined to purchase the, uhm, "finer things in life" or at least testing how much my financial capacity can hold. but then i do not deny myself some of the things that i enjoy that others might find beneath them: cheap beer, a rowdy bar, professional wrestling, hanging out in the mall, the strip club....

11. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

I'm young but I do appreciate things that are of good design and quality, though I do not like paying full price for anything (hard to do with things like cars and houses).

I would rather spend extra and get something that is really what I want, and aestetically pleasing, though I do not live outside my means.

I also believe that physical possessions always come secondary to the things that really matter most in life, and only help to accent the important things in life - but cannot provide any sort of substitute.

12. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

and don't know how to drive.

are you serious?

-Jeff

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

The title makes it sound like a dating ad. What it sounds like you're describing is an aesthetic approach to life, the bon vivant, the German Schongeisterei.

14. jrandyv

jrandyv Member

15. MrRogers

MrRogers Well-Known Member

Hmmmm... I think i'm doing OK for someone in my situation.

I'm 26, I work full-time as a therapist and am completing a doctorate degree so money can be tight at times. I definately appreciate the finer things in life and would have to say that most of my excess income goes towards clothes and shoes. I'm all for quality over quantity and everything I own is representative of that. I like to smoke fine pipes and cigars also.

I drive an 06 Z4 bmw and a jeep cherokee, watch is an invicta but i like it.

MrR

16. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

After reading the forums for several years, this seems to be one of those questions that can only viewed as ironic in that a person who was a "complete package" wouldn't be interested in the forums.

17. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

The title makes it sound like a dating ad.

What it sounds like you're describing is an aesthetic approach to life, the bon vivant, the German Schongeisterei.

I'd rather be a good liver than have one.

A life not filled with aesthetic delight is too abject to be worth living.

18. Sator

Sator Well-Known Member

As far as gaudy financial status symbols go I have close to none.

That said, in the true spirit of dandyism I can say with pride that I speak three languages fluenty, have a thorough knowledge of the biosciences (genomics, proteomics, and other molecular esoterica), can discuss Plato, Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Heidegger and Derrida, as well as about any major composer of note from c.1400 to the present day and am slowly learning more French, Italian and Russian in addition to my other languages. Goethe said that there are three virtues in life - art, science and religion - and that whoever does not posess the last should posess the other two. That is certainly what I have done.

For those of you without riches or a great breadth of education, I certainly look forward to you being able to at least claim that you have other traits worthy of the true dandy such as charm, and wit. These are all things that cannot merely be brought and which I value far more than trivial material goals.

19. pinchi22

pinchi22 Well-Known Member

I try to reconcile my contradictions. I appreciate aesthetics, but I´m frugal. I think a compulsive buyer is too busy hunting to appreciate the goods he has.

I don´t have many dress shoes, but they are C&J handgrades (bought at half price, of course).

I have a BMW 3 series, but I´ll drive it until it falls apart (bought at a 28% discount).

I have an IWC watch, that I´ll keep until I die (bought second hand for 55% off retail).

I´m not a complete package, but I think complete enough.

20. lakewolf

lakewolf Well-Known Member

I agree with Sator

For me the whole package means to have style in yourself...

I am a cultivated man, speak 5 languages ( E, S, I, F, G ) learning slowly R, an artist and philosopher, I play music and enjoy theather and art exposition, a dancer I dance latin, tango and ballrom.

As about clothes I am a well dressed man but I don't buy the expensive garments...

I do cycling and do have the carbon 5500 Trek ( and one 5200 for my girl )

I drive a nice BMW 320i

In my view style is something you have inside and it comes as a result of how you have cultivated your inner sense of beauty and how you have enriched your soul with culture...

It doesn't come from the $$$$

You can be a "complete package" man without the expensive toys

You can be an unstylish wannabe in Kiton & Lobb...

Your choice.