1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Are We Over Analyzing Clothing and Dress?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NORE, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Mariooo

Mariooo Well-Known Member

I've seen politicians with ties in all kinds of ridiculous colors (incl. lime green) and ill-fitting suits etc. :confused:

2. mmkn

mmkn Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

- M

3. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Thank you. Those who strictly abide by the rules are admitting to a lack thereof. I miss Vox Barberra.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

What? That's idiotic* absurd** a joke*** ridiculous. It takes a certain personality to do anything. More vacuous English.

* Offensive to idiots.
    ** Offensive to Kierkegaard.
    *** Offensive to people who tell jokes or NORE when he dresses like the Joker.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  5. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Speaking of which we don't use the term, 'retarded' anymore.

6. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

Post has been reported to the "Etiquette: How to be a real gentleman" thread mod.

7. mafoofan

lolwhat?

You've got to be kidding me. I will go back and change the word if it bothers you.

8. JPHardy

JPHardy Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

9. CBrown85

Guy, I'm pretty sure there isn't an "Etiquette" mod. (yet)

10. mafoofan

Fixed. I like it better now anyway.

11. Mariooo

maybe a netiquette mod? :lol:

12. CBrown85

A poem is never finished, only abandoned.

13. Mariooo

me too, well done. :lol:

14. CBrown85

Word doesn't bother me at all- gets uncomfortable when students say it, though. Spend most of my day correcting foul language and swear like a trucker on the trail. Should really curb that.

15. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

C'mon son. A gent as educated as you surely knew this which makes the sting that much more pungent.

16. mafoofan

Calling me "son" is offensive, too--you retard.

1 person likes this.
  17. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

:lol:

At one point in your life you will get it. I might be dead, but you will get it.

They don't make the masses of clothing you despise for no reason, you know.

18. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

It's a NYC/Brooklyn thing. Not to be taken as condescending. Sorry if you feel that way so I thought I'd explain. I can pick out a few things you said that could be [rightly] misconstrued but in the essence of Foo, we let it slide. Extend us the same courtesy, will you?

19. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

You called me "son" recently. I didn't appreciate it, but I said nothing. I've read other instances where you've called people "son," and they've told you that they don't appreciate it. Despite people expressing disapproval of being called "son," you continue to do it.

Wikipedia says:

In the lexicons of American English and African American Vernacular English, the term is sometimes used (1) by older men addressing younger men, implying the speaker's seniority; and (2) as one of endearment between young Black males and others who imitate hip hop culture, mainly in urban and inner city.

The origin of the term "Son" in the vernacular context was used among American East Coast urban youths as a derogatory term that extended beyond justifying seniority. Often, it was used to claim or instigate one's sentiment toward a rival. The term's derogatory intention began to shift as rap groups like the Wu-Tang Clan used it in their lyrics of the rough ghetto life as a form of endearment. As urban/hip-hop culture has been portrayed as a glamorous subculture to the youths today, the term has been commonly used as playful greeting for those who seek an urban identity to develop their own culture from and will use the term "Son" as well other terms found in rap lyrics like "Nigga", Cuhz (Cousin). Some find differentiation in if the term is derogatory based on how it is enunciated or structured in the sentence, and if it is spoken in ebonics. Mainly, in how the term is pronounced in comparison to the sentence structure as well as the body language (i.e.- gestural, proxemics, etc.,).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son

As you can see, the word can have both a positive and negative connotation. Nearly each time I've read your use of it, you are bickering with someone. Therefore, it's pretty reasonable for the person you are calling "son" to interpret it in the condescending, not the endearing, way. If you want to hang your hat on you're just being endearing, then that's fine. However, don't be shocked that nobody actually believes you.

20. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

NORE,

Late reply, but my firewall at work blocks this site and I was out last night, and your comment on my comment requires a reply, Tonight, I have my 8-year old son staying over and am back on the interwebz.

I have no idea whether you are "full of it". I'm not keen terribly on some of your looks posted here. I definitely think that women care less about clothes than other things, though clothes help: I can recall a girlfriend saying "The first thing I really liked about you was your shoes". My point being, I suppose, that clothes are OK, but other factors are more important, and that women are in equal parts wonderful and strange. Which is the point of them.