1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Are snow/ice sports the domain of the well-off?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by merkur, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Surfrider

Surfrider Well-Known Member

slackers and stoners, and born of rich parents ....snowboarding is not
    Bullshit. On both accounts. I'm not even going to address the first, 'cause it's too stupid a comment to warrant further response. But the second is a misconception that could easily be had by someone who has little exposure to snowsports. So, here ya go: -End-of-season sales are the best time to buy new equipment. If you shop around, you can expect to find some things marked down at least 50%. -Used gear in good shape can be had on Craigslist for little more than a song. Start looking a month or so after the season ends. If you're patient and persistent, you can assemble a full set of equipment for a few hundred dollars. -Mid-week, and nighttime lift tickets are a lot cheaper than unrestricted ones. Season passes are an even better investment -- if you intend to spend a lot of time on the slopes. I know of several mountains that offer student rates that are cheaper still. Stay away during holidays, peak hours, and weekends, and you'll save more than a few bucks. -Transportation costs can be mitigated by taking shuttle buses which are offered by many (most?) mountains; they're not as convenient or comfortable as driving yourself, but they are cheaper. -If you really want to get there on the cheap, hitchhike. Every time I head to a local mountain, it's inevitable there will be one or two ski bums trudging along the road looking for rides. As long as you are shaven and clean-cut, smile, and don't sit down whilst thumbing for a ride, you're likely to score a lift to the slopes. And male and a female together are practically guaranteed to get a ride with very little waiting. So, yeah; with all due respect, you're talking out your ass.

2. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

a lot of the snowboarders and skiers here had a great time teaching during the season and so financing their hobby. its not a rich life, but they sure can work on their sport..

3. jase12

jase12 Well-Known Member

snowboarding seems to be the domain of rich white kids who can afford to spend most of their time in the mountains instead of getting an education or working.

im living in whistler this season and working as a lifty earning $10 an hour. i work in finance back home and have plenty of friends here who are qualified lawyers, physiotherapists, teachers etc but have made a decision to get out of the rat race temporarily or permanently. you take a massive pay cut and work hard to do something you love. don't judge something because you have never done it.

as to the op, i think alpine winter sports are definitely more cost prohibitive to the majority of people, but that, like anything, it is still well in reach if someone is really interested in making it a hobby or elite pursuit

4. jgold47

jgold47 Well-Known Member

A good fried of mine pointed out how incredibly inaccessible the majority of the winter sports are to most of the world and cautions that its not really the 'best' athletes because of the huge financial hurdle to compete at this level. if you dont grow up 1) with money 2) somewhere where you have the ability to train (who has a luge track in their hometown?) how do you get involved. Vs. say the summer games, where anyone can run, every HS has a basketball team, etc...

5. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

A good fried of mine pointed out how incredibly inaccessible the majority of the winter sports are to most of the world and cautions that its not really the 'best' athletes because of the huge financial hurdle to compete at this level. if you dont grow up 1) with money 2) somewhere where you have the ability to train (who has a luge track in their hometown?) how do you get involved. Vs. say the summer games, where anyone can run, every HS has a basketball team, etc...

no shit