1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Are Shoe Trees Important

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrTKN, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

What?.....:eh:

2. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Sigh. Check it, son:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did you notice teh shape? Size and width on the box? Price? Granted these were made for a specific shoe in a specific size (EG 888 12.5/13D) and are very hard to come by these days. Not so for other makes/models.

In akshion:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EG 888 with a 202 based tree size 13D (shoe size is 12.5/13D)

[​IMG]

EG 82 with a 202 based tree size 13D (shoe size is 12/12.5E)

[​IMG]

EG 202 with a 202 based tree size 13D (shoe size is 12/12.5E)

[​IMG]

All of the above I've had now going on 2 years.

They even work on shoes not EG:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any questions?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. atlrus

atlrus Well-Known Member

Quote: Yes, did you actually read my post?!? :)

This is what I said: Unless they were custom made to fit your shoe precisely - I don't see how they would help retain the original shape of the shoe.

Yours were clearly made to fit your exact foot size, not something you grab for $19 from the shelf. And as many of us clearly can see from the brag photos you have posted - a lot of those shoes would end up with stretched heelcaps. You can clearly see the difference in the last three photos - great fit on the EG202 compared with the last two photos, where the heels of the upper are extremely overstretched and will certainly deform your shoe, i.e. the exact opposite effect most try to achieve with shoe trees. I can even see the trees pushing on the toes of the suede...

In addition, my first point had to do with moisture absorption. Lacquered shoe trees like those would absorb exactly zero moisture from your shoe. The sole purpose of almost every kind of sealant brushed on wood is to prevent moisture seeping into the wood and prevent the growth of mold. In addition, the majority of wood is very, very, very slow to absorb (and give away) moisture, certainly not as fast as most people think. If you want to dry wood naturally, it would take literally years, same goes for moisture, that's why manufacturers employ artificial methods for both to speed up the process, while the best smoking pipes are made from brier which has been naturally dried for 10+ years.

Anyhow, thanks for helping me illustrate my point by posting those photos, I wouldn't have gone that distance myself, since it's not all that important. You want to use shoe trees - use shoe trees. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

These trees were not necessarily custom made to fit my shoes but does illustrate the benefit of well-fitting trees.
    Of course lacquered trees dont absorb moisture, which shouldn't be an issue unless you get caught in the rain for a long period or mistreat your shoes. Knowing how to properly dry ones shoes is par for the course.
    The heels aren't overstretched. Look again.
    Yes, I love posting pics of my shoes, thanks for giving me the opportunity.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  5. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

Thank you, whomever you are for making SF a better place by giving us all your permission to use shoetrees.

6. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

yeah I do.

7. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

Where did you find cream vicuna socks? Mine are all medium dark brown.

8. Bortelli

Bortelli Well-Known Member

9. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

...of course shoe trees are important. Without them we would be wading knee-deep in lush forests of red cedar, and leather soles don't lend themselves to these environs nicely.

1 person likes this.
  10. Chanklebury

Chanklebury Well-Known Member

With the number of shoe tree threads this one appeared most recent so I hope it will suffice.

Does anybody have any suggestion for shoe trees with a deeper, round toe box - think suited perhaps to Budapest type lasts, preferably split toe but it's not a clincher.

Thanks.

11. calcoast

calcoast Well-Known Member

Target sells Kiwi cedar shoe trees for ten bucks.

12. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

Any Hungarian shoemaker worth their salt can sell you one. They cost around 20 euros minus taxes plus shipping. Most of these are handmade in Romania so they're not really your average shoe trees.

13. Chanklebury

Chanklebury Well-Known Member

Thank you VRaivio.

I'd be interested in following up on that actually, would you be able to provide me some direction?
    Certainly appreciated.

14. Isochronous

Isochronous Member

I didn't know that Hungary was known for shoemaking?

15. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

You should check out the austro-hungarian shoe thread. Great stuff.