1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Are Ralph Lauren (polo) sweaters any good?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gamblers4, Dec 28, 2008.

1. gamblers4

gamblers4 Active Member

I'm looking for good quality cotton sweaters and was curious if the polo prima cotton sweaters are decent or should I look elsewhere (if not where to look)?

2. gamblers4

gamblers4 Active Member

bump. c'mon folks, help me out.

3. Night Owl

Night Owl Well-Known Member

I'm looking for good quality cotton sweaters and was curious if the polo prima cotton sweaters are decent or should I look elsewhere (if not where to look)?

Their pima cotton sweaters are nothing special. The prima cotton, now that is good stuff, like prime rib.

4. gamblers4

gamblers4 Active Member

Their pima cotton sweaters are nothing special. The prima cotton, now that is good stuff, like prime rib.

touche

What brands do you like for cotton sweaters?

5. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Well-Known Member

I actually like their v-neck pima cotton sweaters for everyday basics. They are comfortable and fit me well.

You can get them regularly for about 40 bucks and they are a good deal that price IMO.

6. academe

academe Well-Known Member

I'd throw in a vote for John Smedley. Their Sea Island cotton jumpers are very well made, as are their merino ones.

7. dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67 Well-Known Member

nice screen name. i got watchmen for christmas!

8. coffeequeen

coffeequeen Well-Known Member

Building off the OP's original query, any thoughts on the Polo lambswool or shetland sweaters? I see they are marked down from $100-125 to $40 on their website. Are they worth it? The colors look nice, thought I hate the logo patches.

9. gamblers4

gamblers4 Active Member

I'd throw in a vote for John Smedley. Their Sea Island cotton jumpers are very well made, as are their merino ones.

Thanks! I've been now checking out their website.

10. constant struggle

constant struggle Well-Known Member

i don't like the fit on polo sweaters

11. Night Owl

Night Owl Well-Known Member

Building off the OP's original query, any thoughts on the Polo lambswool or shetland sweaters? I see they are marked down from $100-125 to $40 on their website. Are they worth it? The colors look nice, thought I hate the logo patches.

Itchy and too many Koreans wearing Polo logo clothing.

touche

What brands do you like for cotton sweaters?

I have mostly Hickey Freeman and like them. Smedley is good. Also check out the Brooks Brothers sea island, they are cheap right now and are decent.

12. TheDiesel

TheDiesel Well-Known Member

i don't like the fit on polo sweaters

whats wrong with it?

13. 16520Man

16520Man Well-Known Member

Here's what I do: if it says "Made in Italy", it's probably a keeper. If it's made anywhere else, I don't buy it or I buy it and don't expect too much from it.

14. litho

litho Well-Known Member

in my opinion from experience of just buying 2 new sweaters, RL is TERRIBLE quality!

15. academe

academe Well-Known Member

Here's what I do: if it says "Made in Italy", it's probably a keeper. If it's made anywhere else, I don't buy it or I buy it and don't expect too much from it.

Another example of mindless GroupThink. I disagree; after buying jumpers/knitwear (~30+ over a 15 year time window) from a range of manufacturers over the years, I don't find that the "Made in Italy" moniker makes a substantive difference. Some jumpers will pill, others won't, and there really is very little consistency or predictability. The only manufacturer that I've found that consistently makes knitwear that shows a very low tendency to pill, lose shape, etc. is John Smedley.

16. TheDiesel

in my opinion from experience of just buying 2 new sweaters, RL is TERRIBLE quality!
    which ones did you buy?

17. sarto

sarto Well-Known Member

i havent been very pleased with my 2 ralph lauren merino sweaters. the wool kinda balled up in the back where i sit -- and it's not even that long of a sweater. and i got a small hole near the shoulder. never washed them at home either -- took it to a cleaner. so yeah, not too happy -- at least with the quality of these wool sweaters. that being said, i still do receive a ton of compliments with one of them -- the color is a very nice royal blue -- almost purple. maybe their cotton ones are better.

18. TheDiesel

i got cotton and merino wool

both made in China.

Merino Wool sweater is much softer and it appears to be longer.

Pima Cotton sweater seems to be shorter and wider around the shirt collar (idk, hard to explain)