1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Are leather trench coats back ???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Christofuh, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Christofuh

Christofuh Well-Known Member

@ Nordstrom

[​IMG]

Saw the other one @ Polo, and just yawned.
    Then spotted the $3700 price tag for that and went [​IMG]

2. wmmk

wmmk Well-Known Member

3. Maharlika

Maharlika Well-Known Member

They remind me of what the European aristocrats wore in the 30's wearing leather trench coats in their Bugatti roadsters.

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

They remind me of European aristocrats in the 30's wearing leather trench coats in their Bugatti roadsters.
    And Hermès would have made the coats. While the popularity of the motorcar really bit into their carriage and saddle business they rebounded by making motoring clothes, particularly leathers.

5. Orsini

Orsini Well-Known Member

They remind me of what the European aristocrats wore in the 30's wearing leather trench coats in their Bugatti roadsters.
    You don't look that old...

6. appolyon

appolyon Well-Known Member

When I see leather trench coats I am reminded of a guy that used to work in the office that wore one along with black pants, black shirt and irridescent blue tie. Every day of the damn week. [​IMG]

7. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

christofuhs avatars ALWAYS rock

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I like them for days when I want to be mistaken for a member of some European nation's secret police.

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

I once considered a Zilli trench in chocolate brown. It was beautiful, the skin like butta and impeccably made. In the end I balked at the 15k tariff. A friend who was with me when the salesman disclosed the price blurted out, "Zilly, as in Silly!"

10. wgiceman

wgiceman Well-Known Member

christofuhs avatars ALWAYS rock

I see that I am not the only one who notices his avatars.

11. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Well-Known Member

A very difficult look to pull off. But some of the brands brands that do the elegant, distressed stuff have some pretty beautiful in a last-man-on -earth way leather trenches.

Rick Owens and Poell come to mind.

12. TxdoHawk

TxdoHawk Well-Known Member

Not a black leather trench fan. Too many people wind up looking like a school shooting suspect or Neo. [​IMG] Brown leather trenches, on the other hand, much easier to do. I have one I thrifted that I break out on occasion...really though, unless you live in an Arctic climate, you pretty much have to admit to yourself that it's attention-grabbing more than it's practical. If you can get past that, it's another nice overcoat to wear.

13. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member

While I am generally a fan of leather jackets, beginning with my AF issue A2 Flight Jacket, the image of a black leather Trench coat evokes an almost visceral dislike. Perhaps so many object to the garment because we have watched too many WWII movies, in which those nasty Gestapo agents were clad in black leather Trenches!

14. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

Very few people will look good in a leather trench coat, from an objective standpoint.

Those without an ideal body shape (tall and slender, i.e., model type) can just forget it.

Even those who are tall and slender will have to put up with the snickers one will surely attract by wearing a leather trench.

15. mimile

mimile Well-Known Member

They have never been completely out !

16. MHH89

MHH89 Well-Known Member

what about quarter length with a strap?

ie sean penn's character in mystic river

17. dsmolken

dsmolken Well-Known Member

Not a good idea. I see young metalheads wearing long black coats (sometimes trenchcoats, sometimes not) around town sometimes. At a distance they might be mistaken for middle-aged women.

18. MaxJones

MaxJones Well-Known Member

Ja, das ist ein sehr schmart look! I wear mein when I drive my Panzer. [​IMG]

19. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Well-Known Member

Forget the Nazis, various European secret police, metalheads, and aristocratic motorists! Single-handedly, Steven (the blimp) Segal's penchant for leather trench coats is enough to put me off the idea entirely.

[​IMG]

___

20. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Leaher Trench=[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]