• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are High Price Shaving Creams Really Worth It?

Aries

Reaction score
Yes, generally speaking the higher priced creams are better than generic foam/ gel stuff. However, I've found two cheaper alternatives that are equally as good. Proraso and Musgo Real.

auto90403

Reaction score
I've tried pretty much all shave creams and gels, from low-end crap to the really expensive imports. Generally speaking, the more expensive ones are better.

But I was recently in Morocco and bought a tube of classic Palmolive shave cream that was more soapy than creamy. It was made in France with an Arabic label on one side and a French one of the other. In US dollars, I think it cost around 50 cents.

I love the stuff. Colgate-Palmolive told me they no longer sell it in the US -- no demand. It feels old-fashioned as hell. Sort of what my grandfather used back in the 1920s. But it gives a damn good shave.

My other favorite is King of Shaves gel which I get at any drugstore. A great shave, especially given its price.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Proraso cakes are a euro apiece in Italy, and don't do a half bad job. Good for making sure you don't forget something better when travelling.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aries
Yes, generally speaking the higher priced creams are better than generic foam/ gel stuff. However, I've found two cheaper alternatives that are equally as good. Proraso and Musgo Real.
+100 Musgo Real, in particular, is a must-have for any refined shaver: $7 everywhere (including fancy shops in the know).

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got Kiehls a week ago, and I used to get tons of red bumps because of my sensitive skin... they're now completely gone. The only thing is, I don't see the tube lasting that long, and at $20 or something, it could get expensive pretty fast.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just got Kiehls a week ago, and I used to get tons of red bumps because of my sensitive skin... they're now completely gone. The only thing is, I don't see the tube lasting that long, and at $20 or something, it could get expensive pretty fast.
Please check into a quality shaving brush and cream or soap. For a budget: savile row super grade
SR204.JPG
Savile row from www.qedusa.com Or, if you are decadent. .. a nice silvertip...
177.jpg
shavemac.com

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
yup, agree. I thought all the badger brush stuff was just hype, and had been using random cheapy brushes. Then got given a L'Occitane one - which damn sure wasnt cheap - and then the handle fell off of it, and decided to buy a badger just to see. Made an instant difference. So much better than anything I'd used before. I bought this Tweezerman one from eBay and highly recommend the seller and the product...
87_1_sbl.JPG
...pretty cheap too

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't they smell like **** for a while though?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
took it out the box and noticed a slight odour, nothing since.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Mine didn't. I have the one from QED pictured above. It usually just smells like the soap, but for some reason sandalwood is lingering through all the rest.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist

Perhaps you had an unfortunate experience with a boar brush. Those do tend to smell for a bit. A lot of the lower priced shaving brushes are made with boar hair, tweezerman excluded. Boar hair does not retain water as well as badger hair and may smell like a wet pig when you introduce it to water.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, my silvertip SMF-II brush did stink a littkle, as did my Vulfix before it. But it dies down fast.

Oh and on the subject of creams, I used again my neglected G.F. Trumper's Rose last nigh. As I have that pile of samples to go through it fell by the wayside but wow... works unbelievably well; maybe even better than the Proraso - with an incredibly nice scent to boot!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Oh and on the subject of creams, I used again my neglected G.F. Trumper's Rose last nigh. As I have that pile of samples to go through it fell by the wayside but wow... works unbelievably well; maybe even better than the Proraso - with an incredibly nice scent to boot!

Yeah, Trumper's rose was the first cream I dropped serious $$$ on. Haven't spent that much since on a cream or soap since but don't regret it.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, eventually I'll probably get a silvertip brush, because I do like to avoid problems associated with having sensitive skin, but even at 22 I have very little facial hair. Most of it is concentrated around my chin/upper neck(or throat I guess), and I get a "teen stash" if I don't shave that once ever 4 or so days.

Maybe when I get a fuller beard I'll move on to that stuff, but right now I'm happy that this Kiehls stuff does the trick.

Does anyone know what is the best razor to use? Are the Mach 3 ones it? I just like easy and disposable...

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend where to get a decent travel-size shaving gel/foam? I use Proraso and Nancy Boy when I'm at home, but I need to find something in a small container (less than 3 ounces) for traveling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads