• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are high end watches (e.g., Patek) gaudy?

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I've wondered about this for a very long time. I love nice stuff...I think most of us do on SF...from clothes to shoes to wine to food to watches. However, is there something bling bling about a very nice watch (e.g., Patek), even if it is completely simple and discreet (e.g., a Calatrava like this one: http://www.watchesbokee.com/wp-conte.../patek5127.jpg The reason I suggest it could be "bling" is simply because of its price -- near $20K after tax. Obviously it is extremely tasteful as a watch, but I feel like the sheer act of owning such an expensive yet clearly inferior (because it's not quartz) product is a bit gaudy. People with lots and lots of money (think Hank Paulson) wear $20 digital watches. Others wear nicer ones. But I feel like anyone who wears a watch this expensive..even if he's Bill Gates..may look to some like he's got something to prove. Am I crazy? Just trying to start a discussion here. And, by the way, I feel like there is nothing wrong with spending $7K on a Savile Row bespoke suit, or $1K on a pair of Edward Greens, or even $4K on JLL bespoke. It just feels to me like buying a watch like a Patek is more akin to buying Kiton's $50K "K50" RTW suit...which I think we can all agree is stupid.
patek5127.jpg

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
A watch tells time. A $20 watch will tell it about as well as a $20,000 watch. It's all personal. There are guys renting in Manhattan rocking $15,000 watches and guys owning $20,000,000 homes wearing $20 watches. I'd say the guy with the apartment and the watch costing as much as a Civic definitely looks like he's proving something. If a millionairre had a $20,000 watch it would be in scope with the rest of his lifestyle. Of course, looking gaudy is probably what you're asking about... the watch up there isn't gaudy by any means, on any wrist.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only those in the know will have any idea what you have on your wrist. If your out to impress you might already be in the wrong but if I could drop 20K on a little wrist bling and not blink I'd be more of the get stuffed if you think my watch is gaudy grouping.

That said I wear my late fathers 25+ year old Rolex which some think is a little guady and they can get stuffed also
blush.gif

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
the watch up there isn't gaudy by any means, on any wrist.

+1 gaudy is not a function of price.

jacob the jeweller is gaudy

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was about to say the same thing, there is nothing gaudy about that Patek at all.

I don't even think Patek is recognized by majority of the public and chances are most people will view that Patek as a $500-$1000 watch, if not less.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gran Torino
Could some native english speaker tell me what gaudy means?
Showy, tasteless and vulgar, in this context.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
Showy, tasteless and vulgar, in this context.

indeed, which is everything the pictured watch is not.

Rusty G.

Reaction score
I've got a couple of Patek's and nobody ever notices them.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Well see, here's my point. Obviously that watch is not gaudy. It is as simple, elegant, classic as anything gets.

My question is whether the mere act of wearing it/owning it is gaudy. If you're too poor to afford it, then you're trying to prove something. If you can afford it then you're showing off your wealth.

And anyone who knows what a Patek is likely hangs out with many others who also do, either at work or socially. So while the maitre d' at Olive Garden won't recognize your Patek, you likely spend much more time around people who will recognize it, and think certain things about you (good or bad) for wearing/owning it.

Brian_I

Reaction score
When you've reached the realm of Patek, gaudy is completely out the window.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is a simple elegant watch gaudy?

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think cheaper watches are more often gaudy than the ones on the higher end. Perhaps it's the manufacturer's version of the Napoleon complex; watches like Patek, Vacheron Constantin, A. Lange & Soehne, et.al. seem to be much more understated as they have nothing to prove.
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
My question is whether the mere act of wearing it/owning it is gaudy. If you're too poor to afford it, then you're trying to prove something. If you can afford it then you're showing off your wealth.
Or they just like the watch....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads